EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.



Think you are being to negative about yourself Lacy. I find you to be more understanding of situations like Wiijim's then you give yourself credit for.

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:08 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:49 pm
Posts: 6178
Location: Dame Glooy'd Sneefrugs
Jim, you did right by your daughter and her cat.. even though some people's opinions may vary, you did something for your daughter a lot of parents wouldn't/couldn't bring themselves to do.

There have been a few times I wish someone would've been able to put some critters down for me in a quicker fashion than taking them to the vet and having them put to sleep. Sometimes (I found out the hard way) putting animals to sleep isn't always a quicker and easier death.. Nickodemus probably suffered the hours after he was given his injection and when he actually passed away.

_________________
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much. - Mother Theresa Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
I've had to do it for myself and others, even as a younger boy. I've never enjoyed it, but sometimes you just have to take care of business.

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:43 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
the reason i brought it up here is..... the misrepresentation that sianblooz attempted at arriving at this board, was to take this instance and paint a picture of wijim being a heinous law breaking immoral a-hole by asking if i was the same wijim who killed hid daughter's cat in front of her. as though i angrily snatched the cat from her arms and killed it for no reason but to be nasty to her...... :wink:

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.


is there a reason for yo to think it wasn't how i desribed? :wink:

btw.....i find it ok and not even that shocking that you agree with my actions. i didnt set out to try to make certain you didnt agree with me. and ty for sharing your thoughts.

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the real deal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:31 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 10701
Location: S. Fla
wijim
Quote:
now that its opened up. i'll get into this debate up front and pull no punches. i euthed my kids's kitten months back by hitting it on the head with a shovel a few times. the details are on another thread that tells the story but it's long.

facts of it.

came up from hunting
cat was limp, eyes mattered shut, fur was diarhea and vomit encrusted, and i figure d the cat was dead at first until it was gasping havin obviously aspirated.


In the original story you said:

she was sh*tting herself on top of the dog house. and rolling around making a weird noise. i then picked up winx by the scruff of the neck taking care not to get cat shit on me.....i tossed her out in the front yar
cat was fine as frogs hair the previous evening



So she wasn't limp but rolling around. And I also don't like the fact you tossed her into the yard.

Also, if you had just returned from hunting, didn't you have a gun handy?



wijim
Quote:
i exhumed the body a week later (which grace was not in the previous thread...cuz it never got that far) to have the dead body tested for other issues to see if the other kitten is/was at risk.
the first cat was dead of distemper. i dont know what method of testing was done. i reburied cat in the same spot.so far other kitten has shown no signs or symptoms and was vaccinated immediately after dead cat died.


Why did you exhume the cat? Didn't you believe the vet's diagnosis the first time? You did the right thing & had the other kitten innoculated against this disease (panleukopenia or "distemper" - which is covered in the usual 3 in 1 vaccinations given to kittens). However, even if innoculated they're not risk free if already exposed before being innoculated and still at risk between next booster. Our kitten was innoculated but between boosters, got panleukopenia, the vet suggested PTS as he hadn't seen one survive yet (90% mortality rate in kittens) but we opted for supportive care & 9 days later she came home. That was almost 2 yrs ago and she's is with us today. I'm surprised your vet didn't dissuade you from the unpleasantry of an exhumation not to mention the expense of a necropsy. What did that cost? If you or the vet suspected the cat might have died from rabies I could absolutely understand the reason to exhume. However, they would have had to cut its head off to test for that and I'm sure you'd mention rabies was the reason for exhumation (not to mention burying a headless cat).

So the cat died from panleukopenia as your vet suspected. The other cat was innoculated. The other cat was exposed and could have gotten sick anyway. Nothing could be done about that (could die or maybe survive with supportive care) so exhuming was a waste of time and money. The vet knew this.

Edited to add: it doesn't make sense the vet didn't cremate the exhumed cat either. That disease is highly infectious (airborne), lives in the household or barn or anywhere for up to a year. Nothing kills it. So you took a decomposed, infectious cat back from the vet & reburied it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 am 
Offline
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:59 pm
Posts: 229
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.


is there a reason for yo to think it wasn't how i desribed? :wink:

btw.....i find it ok and not even that shocking that you agree with my actions. i didnt set out to try to make certain you didnt agree with me. and ty for sharing your thoughts.


Good morning to you too!

_________________
For every problem there is a solution


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the real deal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:46 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
Grace wrote:
wijim
Quote:
now that its opened up. i'll get into this debate up front and pull no punches. i euthed my kids's kitten months back by hitting it on the head with a shovel a few times. the details are on another thread that tells the story but it's long.

facts of it.

came up from hunting
cat was limp, eyes mattered shut, fur was diarhea and vomit encrusted, and i figure d the cat was dead at first until it was gasping havin obviously aspirated.


In the original story you said:

she was sh*tting herself on top of the dog house. and rolling around making a weird noise. i then picked up winx by the scruff of the neck taking care not to get cat shit on me.....i tossed her out in the front yar
cat was fine as frogs hair the previous evening



So she wasn't limp but rolling around. And I also don't like the fact you tossed her into the yard.

Also, if you had just returned from hunting, didn't you have a gun handy?

nope but i had my bow handy.



wijim
Quote:
i exhumed the body a week later (which grace was not in the previous thread...cuz it never got that far) to have the dead body tested for other issues to see if the other kitten is/was at risk.
the first cat was dead of distemper. i dont know what method of testing was done. i reburied cat in the same spot.so far other kitten has shown no signs or symptoms and was vaccinated immediately after dead cat died.


Why did you exhume the cat?

to see if the other cat was at risk. which it obviously was/still is seeing as it was exposed prior to being vaccinated

Didn't you believe the vet's diagnosis the first time?

the first thing the vet said was "sounds like distemper"

You did the right thing & had the other kitten innoculated against this disease (panleukopenia or "distemper" - which is covered in the usual 3 in 1 vaccinations given to kittens). However, even if innoculated they're not risk free if already exposed before being innoculated and still at risk between next booster.

hell the cat could still have it. the vaccination will not eliminate it if he contracted it.

Our kitten was innoculated but between boosters, got panleukopenia, the vet suggested PTS as he hadn't seen one survive yet (90% mortality rate in kittens) but we opted for supportive care & 9 days later she came home. That was almost 2 yrs ago and she's is with us today. I'm surprised your vet didn't dissuade you from the unpleasantry of an exhumation not to mention the expense of a necropsy.

he didnt charge me a thing. he was curious. as for exhuming him. my vet drives by my house daily so he picked up the dead cat i just dug it up. actually he often stops at me house and gives my dogs a "once over" looksee, cuz he likes them. we do business together as well. i sell him alot of antibiotics etc.

What did that cost?

not one penny

If you or the vet suspected the cat might have died from rabies I could absolutely understand the reason to exhume. However, they would have had to cut its head off to test for that and I'm sure you'd mention rabies was the reason for exhumation (not to mention burying a headless cat).

rabies was not an issue from all descriptions from what i understand. i dug up the cat in its box, did not remove it from its box, got it back in it's box. i could have buried a headless cat. hell i could have buried a nearly empty box for all i know.

So the cat died from panleukopenia as your vet suspected. The other cat was innoculated. The other cat was exposed and could have gotten sick anyway. Nothing could be done about that (could die or maybe survive with supportive care) so exhuming was a waste of tim and money. The vet knew this.

i covered this above. he told me to watch jinx..(the live cat) closely. cost me nothing. i have run into him doing things free for me often, especially when he is training a student. but he and i have a good relationship, cuz of the business and my daughter and his grand daughter are on the same basketball team etc.


_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the real deal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:49 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
Grace wrote:

Edited to add: it doesn't make sense the vet didn't cremate the exhumed cat either. That disease is highly infectious (airborne), lives in the household or barn or anywhere for up to a year. Nothing kills it. So you took a decomposed, infectious cat back from the vet & reburied it?


yep i reburied it. hey maybe my fish are gettin it...lol i have lost a couple recently :lol:

if you'd like i could dig it up again and recheck the status of the body. also realize grace, im guessing the decomp wasn't very advanced. we have pretty cool weather here. but i couldn't tell you how docomposed it is or was.

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
lacy wrote:
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.


is there a reason for yo to think it wasn't how i desribed? :wink:

btw.....i find it ok and not even that shocking that you agree with my actions. i didnt set out to try to make certain you didnt agree with me. and ty for sharing your thoughts.


Good morning to you too!


is that sarcastic or a real wish for a "good morning"?

if its sarcastic....did i offend you in some way?...*scratching head

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:56 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
sidenote grace: i didnt post this to with intentions to rehash it with you, but i dont have a problem talking with you about it. i think you know why i brought it up here. there have been alot of things said and used by a poster with questionable honesty, who tried to use our (wijim vs grace) arguement from another board, to stir up crap and to intentionally misrepresent me. once that was cleared up for me on this board i then felt it was the time to explain the cat thing as i felt it was misrepresented and used by barb.

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 am 
Offline
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:59 pm
Posts: 229
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.


is there a reason for yo to think it wasn't how i desribed? :wink:

btw.....i find it ok and not even that shocking that you agree with my actions. i didnt set out to try to make certain you didnt agree with me. and ty for sharing your thoughts.


Good morning to you too!


is that sarcastic or a real wish for a "good morning"?

if its sarcastic....did i offend you in some way?...*scratching head


Nope no offense. That was a real "Good Morning"

_________________
For every problem there is a solution


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 10701
Location: S. Fla
wijim wrote:
sidenote grace: i didnt post this to with intentions to rehash it with you, but i dont have a problem talking with you about it. i think you know why i brought it up here. there have been alot of things said and used by a poster with questionable honesty, who tried to use our (wijim vs grace) arguement from another board, to stir up crap and to intentionally misrepresent me. once that was cleared up for me on this board i then felt it was the time to explain the cat thing as i felt it was misrepresented and used by barb.


Yes I know. I wasn't going to post to this thread as you know my feelings on it and didn't feel like rehashing. But I did have some questions, which you addressed. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:27 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 1340
lacy wrote:
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
wijim wrote:
lacy wrote:
Wijim
I know we rarely ever agree on anything but in this instance I guess you did the right thing. If it was the way you described I guess i can understand your actions. My husband would more than likely have done the same. Hate to shock you by agreeing with you and I know those who have agreed with me on other matters will disagree with me now but just wanted to share my thoughts with you.


is there a reason for yo to think it wasn't how i desribed? :wink:

btw.....i find it ok and not even that shocking that you agree with my actions. i didnt set out to try to make certain you didnt agree with me. and ty for sharing your thoughts.


Good morning to you too!



is that sarcastic or a real wish for a "good morning"?

if its sarcastic....did i offend you in some way?...*scratching head


Nope no offense. That was a real "Good Morning"


ok well good morning to you too then...lol...its often hard to tell when written.

_________________
lately i been thinkin' aunt betty stopped her blinkin'....soon she'll be a stinkin'..........my deceased mother in law speaking of her aunt who had died.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:08 pm 
Offline
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:26 pm
Posts: 500
I was going to just ignore this as its nothing but yet another attempt on your part to raise hell on the board. But, you dragged my name into it.

This is not the way you told this story before. Its also not the way you told it from the other board. I haven't read all of that thread because its one of those that goes on for miles. I don't have that link and have no interest in reading any more of this frankly disturbing story.

I think what you've written this time is self-serving pap and aimed at stirring the pot.

IF what you say is true, I agree the kitten needed killing. I don't know or care which version is true. There are so many holes in each version and its a waste of time to try to sort it all out.

Looks like you're up for Parent Of The Year Award though. :roll:

FYI, my own daughter is very close in age to yours. I would do damn near anything to protect her from seeing her own kitten beaten to death. I guess I'm just not the attentive parentyou are.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group