Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The art of moderation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 pm 
New User
New User

Frank,

... There’s no delicate way to say this: Airbnb’s rental suites are literally built on the rubble of stolen homes, orchards and fields, and displaced communities and families. At least 48,000 Palestinian buildings have been demolished to build homes where only Jewish Israelis are allowed to live -- and now dozens are listed on Airbnb. Leading legal scholars say AirBnb’s rentals violate the Geneva Conventions, and the International Court of Justice has condemned them.
Last year alone Airbnb made almost $1 billion in revenue, and the company is worth a whopping $24 billion. Yet, Airbnb continues to profit off the illegal settlements, collecting fees from hosts and guests. And for Airbnb users who are Palestinian, these rentals are literally and completely off-limits.
Already, our campaign is getting an amazing response--making headlines and catalyzing activists across the planet--and Airbnb is feeling the heat. That’s why at Jewish Voice for Peace we’re working together CODEPINK, American Muslims for Palestine, US Palestinian Community Network, US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation, and SumOfUs to name a few. Please join us and put an end to corporate profiteering at the expense of the freedom and dignity of the Palestinian people ...

Thank you,
Stephanie Fox, Deputy Director at Jewish Voice for Peace

My (Frank Sterle Jr) View:

Unfortunately, the mainstream news-media prefer to publish the confrontational ideologically and politically polarized stories, opinions and melodramatic (seemingly usually violent) events, though not just in regards to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but similarly so those of the horrific Rwanda and Balkans during the early 1990s, etcetera. Although I've not any ethnic Semitic background, I know enough that there are numerous other Jewish/Semitic Israelis, both in the Middle East and elsewhere around the globe, that feel the same, and humanitarianly so, about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as members of the Jewish Voice for Peace (whose very recent note to me rests above) as well as other such organizations on both sides of the huge-stakes conflict.
Furthermore and in finality, from my understanding of its ideas and goals, there's very little if anything inherently wrong with moderate Zionism (as was, for example, adhered to by the very humane and fine human being known as Albert Einstein). But true moderation, involving whatever social/political issue amongst a global large majority (to me that means about 75-80 percent of the entire planetary population, if not even more), is the key to alleviating so very much of the planet's problems -- an art form towards which, hopefully someday, all with strive.