EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:06 am 
New User
New User

Hi guys!

Since most of you are either directly involved in or closely associated to the environmental field, I figured I may be able to get some advice from you guys. :)

So...

I'm a Sri Lankan graduate (I hold a BSc International Development from the University of London International Programmes) currently considering studying for a masters degree in the United States.

The field I really want to pursue is Environmental Conservation and I've already been accepted by a second-tier school in the US for their Environmental Conservation programme. But I've also been chosen by a top-tier school for their International Development programme (which I am hoping I will be able to customize so I focus on the environmental side of development).

Provided I do not get into a top-tier school's environmental conservation masters I basically have two choices - studying something directly in the field of my interest in a second-tier school or studying something which is a bit of shoulder-niche to my field of interest but in a top-tier school.

I guess my question boils down to - in the field of environmental conservation in the United States (and in order to break into it) is a university's name and brand valued more or is the title and content of my degree valued more? What would employers in the environmental conservation field value more?

Thanks in advance for your help guys! :) Really appreciate it.