Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 pm 
New User
New User

[My side commentary is in bracketed, bolded text]

(Postmedia's headline): Trudeau tries to undo fuddle-duddle damage

OTTAWA -- On Wednesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau barged into a group of opposition MPs in the House of Commons and told them to “Get the f--- out of the way.” [Do you mean to the bodily-aisle-blocking Opposition MPs?]
We know this because several MPs have said so. Trudeau himself has had several chances to correct any mis-hearings and has not. His dad, of course, once explained away his own foul language by saying parliamentarians must have heard him say “fuddle duddle.” Justin Trudeau uttered that expletive moments before he grabbed Conservative MP Gord Brown by the arm. In doing so, he accidentally elbowed NDP MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau hard enough that she left the House temporarily, missing a vote. [Oh, boy; very costly. Must’ve/would’ve been a barely passing/losing vote.]
It was a shameful outburst that embarrassed the office he holds and fouled our national legislature. He returned to that legislature Thursday morning to begin to undo some of that damage. First, he apologized.
“I refuse to allow anyone to think that there was any justification for my behaviour yesterday evening,” Trudeau told the House of Commons. “It was on me. It was my mistake. It was unbecoming of any member of the House. I expect better from myself, and my colleagues on all sides of the aisle certainly expect better from me. Looking at the tone (of debate in the House) even as a way of explanation for this is not correct. I wield full responsibility for my poor choices last night and I ask for Canadians' understanding and forgiveness.”
Second, he removed the thing that was giving such offence -- Motion 6: a plan by his government to essentially strip his parliamentary opposition of the normal, everyday tools available to register objections to a majority government's legislation. [You mean the kind of behaviour almost always practiced by the politically/morally/ethically corrupt Harper Conservatives?]
“The prime minister's temper got the best of him but his behaviour was just an extension of his government's approach to this House,” interim Opposition leader Rona Ambrose said during question period Thursday. “Increasingly, Liberals treat this House and the voices of Canadians with arrogance and disrespect.” [That’s quite rich coming from the arrogant disrespect Ambrose has displayed to, amongst other folk, news reporters by cancelling scheduled meetings with them at literally the last minute – and enough times to make clear she was simply sticking it to them by screwing with their heads as a then governing minister and MP?]
Ambrose called Trudeau's decision to back down on Motion 6 “a good start.”
But there is still a yawning chasm between the Trudeau government's rhetoric on inclusion, consensus, respect for Parliament, etc. and the actual government in action in its first several months. [Again, very rich; but it’s not at all surprising, coming from an essentially openly Conservative-supporting and Big Oil/Industry promoter such Postmedia.]
It could be objections by Canadians to Trudeau's plans on electoral reform or it could be objections by Canadians who expected the Liberals to honour promises like the one, for example, to cut to small business taxes. [Again, promise-breaking is behaviour far more common with the former Conservative governments.]
To those Canadians with differing views than Trudeau -- and there are millions, remember, who did not vote Liberal -- Trudeau might as well be saying "Get the f**k out of my way" for all the attention they're getting. [Postmedia should add: quite like the former Conservative governments, for whom the vast majority of Canadians did not vote each time Harper’s team won.]
The irony of all this is that Trudeau's outburst will now be referred to a parliamentary committee for their consideration. That committee is in the midst of a Liberal-mandated study to make the House of Commons more "family-friendly." But before they can make the House more family-friendly, they'll be asked what to do with a prime minster who tells MPs in that House to "get the f--- out of my way." [This is the third time that’s been quoted in the same slanted advertorial-disguised-as-journalism; and it’s yet a whole bunch more of the corrupt Postmedia manipulation via repetition – something that should be obvious to those who actually think for themselves and don’t suffer from the same econo-euphoria syndrome enjoyed by Harper and Team.]

Postmedia — May 19 2016