EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:41 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Normally I just delete spam and chain letters.. but every once in a while one slips through and I get to see just how tacky and crazy they are.

Whats the craziest most tacky chain letter/spam you've gotten?

I have two "favorites". This afternoon's spam from "Sgt. George Smith" letting me know he somehow stashed $7,000,000 of Saddam's cash and would I like to spilt it. :shock: :lol:

My all time favorite was a stupid pyramid scheme letter that some doofus sent to me at my work address when I was working law enforcement.. it went something like "send the ten people on this list $1 and then send this letter to 250 people take the top name off the list and add yours to the bottom and you will become rich!". People actually fall for that stuff?! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm 

I had a fella send me an e-mail wanting to use my account to deposit some money from Africa or somewhere like that. It was obviously a scam, especially since he wanted things like SS# and what not. But I wrote him back with some questions, and to my surprise, he wrote back. I toyed with him for awhile and eventually he got the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 pm 

I get things from Africa all the time.. apparently every day there is someone with my last name kicking the bucket over there! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:07 pm 

I get official looking e-mails supposedly from my internet provider saying they need to update my account information and if I fail to provide said information my internet service may be interrupted. You then click on the link provided and another window with official looking logos asks for my credit card number, checking account numbers, my social security number and even my mother's maiden name!

Yeah, right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:12 pm 

SiberD wrote:
I get official looking e-mails supposedly from my internet provider saying they need to update my account information and if I fail to provide said information my internet service may be interrupted. You then click on the link provided and another window with official looking logos asks for my credit card number, checking account numbers, my social security number and even my mother's maiden name!

Yeah, right.

Oooh Phishing! Thats another fun one. :lol:

I like the ones that look offical and come from banks and stuff that I've never dealt with before. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:40 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I get a lot of mail asking for my passwords. I always send them emails back laughing about how pathetic they are and they never reply back... lol

And then I have those stupid chain letters from friends that they send to over 50 people.

I don't get very much email such as that... I try to not post my email anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:51 pm 

redfurrymonster84 wrote:
I get a lot of mail asking for my passwords. I always send them emails back laughing about how pathetic they are and they never reply back... lol

And then I have those stupid chain letters from friends that they send to over 50 people.

I don't get very much email such as that... I try to not post my email anywhere.

Do your friends do the stupid "if you are my friend you'll send this back to me" chain letters? I hate those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:34 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

No, not yet. Don't give them any ideas. Those things are so annoying. The only one I like is this one:

"If you think chainletters are retarded send this chainletter to everyone in your group. Wait a minute..."

I get a lot of religious ones and I feel obligated to send them. It gets annoying.

"Hi redfurrymonster -

What's the most important movie of the year? It's a movie I think will knock your socks off. It's so important I'm sending this request to all 6 million Care2 members. I'd like you to see the movie and then come back to Care2 and talk about it. A simple and fun request that I believe could help change the world...."

What's care2??????????? I don't remember being a member of anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:36 pm 
New User
New User

If you live in Canada and get those African chain letters the best thing to do with them is to forward them on the the RCMP.

They have an entire department that tracks the senders down. I guess because there are some people that actually reply to them and get duped.

I got a really awesome chain letter one time that was actually a mock of the whole chain letter thing. It went on and on about if I didn't forward it to at least 100 people I would get a disease that would cause my nether regions to rot and fall off and that I would be doomed to really really lousy "PERSONAL" relations with my self... it was actually pretty funny and I forwarded it on to everyone I knew just for a hoot....

Oh and by the way, to all the hockey fans EDMONTON IS BRINGING THE CUP HOME TO CANADA EH!!!

(I'm actually a leafs fan but since were currently golfing....)

Mahfouz Naguib

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:54 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

the worst I ever got was from the Humane Society wanting donations to "care" for animals. What a rip off!! Care? Putting to sleep is ''care''?

then I got one from Peta that was just as stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:37 am 

The Muppet Babies wrote:
They have an entire department that tracks the senders down. I guess because there are some people that actually reply to them and get duped.
The way I see it, if someone is dumb enough to be duped by that, let them.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, to all the hockey fans EDMONTON IS BRINGING THE CUP HOME TO CANADA EH!!!

(I'm actually a leafs fan but since were currently golfing....)

:? Yeah, our Stars are golfing too. I feel your pain, except now I don't care who wins. Oh well, we've still got the Mavericks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:38 am 

LOL!! I got one today! Complete with the Paypal logo!

Quote:
Sent: May 26, 2006 8:12 AM
To:
Subject: Important Notification

We regret to inform you that this account has been locked.
To unlock your account please follow the link below and complete all the steps.

https://www.paypal.com/review-account

Please Note:
If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and your account will be deleted.

Message 2023

Problem Description:

Suspicious account behavior possible account theft

PayPal Corp.
PayPal Account Review Department

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:30 pm 

I've had those before. It's funny, cause I'll check my account after that and it works just fine. Go figure.