EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ummm.....oops!!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:04 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I'll tell you what guys,I about messed up big time. Tues. at 2217 hrs we were dispatched to a residential structure fire here in town. On arrival I reported that the first floor was partially involved,with unknown entrappment. I ordered an additional two alrms,packed up and me and one of my guys extended a ladder to the second floor. Doing our search of an upstairs bedroom,I passed the thermal imager to my partner so I could open a door to go into the hallway. Having just entered the hall we were met with a considerable amount of heat. Push open another door to check the room(I think it was a closet),the floor beneath me fell through.

I was able to grab a floor joist on my way down and just held onto it for dear life,knowing that the fire was under us.I also knew that the weight of my gear and the pain in my side from hitting the joist weren't going to allow me to hold on for long.As my partner was trying to help me up,I told him to radio command to advance a line to the area under me.When I heard the crew enter the room beneath me,I told my partner to get the hell out of the house. I advised the interior crew that I was going to drop through,but I didn't realize that the spot of ceiling I was hanging from was 10 foot from the floor. It did indeed hurt when I landed. The end result is a few bruised ribs,sprained ankle,dislocated shoulder,torn muscles in my back. But I'm alive. After a nights stay in hospital I came home and vegged around. i'll be off for 4 shifts(12 days) at a minimum,and probably won't be able to do attacks for a couple of weeks after that. But at least I can catch up on watching baseball!!! Any way that's how my week has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:28 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Darn! It is good you are still around to talk about it. I hope you take it easy and get well soon.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:16 pm 

Wow. Reading about your week was like a page out of Indiana Jones. Jeez. I sat on a freaking chair for 5 days. Glad to see you are alright and escaped with some minor bruises. Enjoy your downtime while you have it. And earned it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:31 pm 

Dang, sounds like fun. Glad to see you're still around. Keep me informed on the Rangers since I don't have time to watch any baseball myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:56 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Ouch!! Glad to hear you're okay.
(Engage mother mode) NEXT TIME BE MORE CAREFUL!!(Disengage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Oh my! I'm glad you didn't die. (Wow, that was very positive....) I'm glad your OK. :)