Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:15 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Mr. Venom wrote:
A buddy of mine (retired ATF agent) has one that I play with from time to time. The only problem is he only has 400m to shoot on!!!! That's kinda like driving a Ferari throough a Walmart parking lot....just doesn't do it justice.

Yes, I know. I bought a section of property for a place to go shooting, but at only 30 acres it was a bit small even for my .308 and now my son is putting up a greenhouse and stuff on it. That is the best thing about the mountains, you can have a REALLY good backstop with only a few acres with which to deal.

I am always a little concerned with being too close to a backstop with anything with any "uummmp" since I lost a friend at Ft. Campbell. He was supervising the filming of a firing exercise from the side of the firing range when he was struck by a ricochet just below the armpit. He bled out before they could get him off the range because there was no pressure point to access. The investigation surmised the round struck an already embedded round in the backstop which caused the ricochet. A freak accident for sure, but it did not do his wife or any of the rest of us any good knowing it was just really really bad luck.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:17 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Of course there are just plain stupid ways to get shot ...... :lol: :lol:

http://www.break.com/index/bullettest1.html

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:47 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

During some of our LE training,some of us volunteered to get shot by a LTL shotgun round(beanbag),with a vest on.The ensueing pain has got to be nothing compared to getting shot with a vest. The Simunition we used for mock building searches and for tactical exercises was bad also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:24 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Mr. Venom wrote:
During some of our LE training,some of us volunteered to get shot by a LTL shotgun round(beanbag),with a vest on.The ensueing pain has got to be nothing compared to getting shot with a vest. The Simunition we used for mock building searches and for tactical exercises was bad also.

The total impact would be similar but the concentration would be the difference. Getting hit by a round in the chest plate of the vest is supposed to be very similar to some of the LTL beanbag rounds. I do not know if the charge in the rounds are the same for the Israeli forces as are used in the US forces so I cannot say for sure. I did some work with the DOD/NCIS on technology being transferred to Israel and as a result met with some folks who had such experiences.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:31 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

There was an old friend who had his father send him a couple of boxes of dove and quail shot for hunting while he was stationed in Viet Nam. One of his friends borrowed his combat shotgun for an ambush patrol, but he grabbed the bandoleer with the dove and quail. He told Dave his shotgun was defective because he shot one VC at the edge of the kill zone 2-3 times and he only yelled louder and ran faster each time. Dave did not have the heart to tell him his mistake, but could get every one cracked up by telling it over beers later on by his imitation of the guy telling the story complete with Vietnamese yells.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:43 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I once loaded my friends shotgun shells for him. I own a press and do my own. We were going the next A.M. so I made us some shells. We kicked up some quail real close and you shoulda seen his eyes when he hit the first bird with a load of buckshot at about ten steps. priceless. Not much but floating feathers. He had recently swapped from a 20 to a 12 gauge and I had him believing for about ten minutes it was normal for nothing but floating feathers to be left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:57 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Thrillbilly wrote:
I once loaded my friends shotgun shells for him. I own a press and do my own. We were going the next A.M. so I made us some shells. We kicked up some quail real close and you shoulda seen his eyes when he hit the first bird with a load of buckshot at about ten steps. priceless. Not much but floating feathers. He had recently swapped from a 20 to a 12 gauge and I had him believing for about ten minutes it was normal for nothing but floating feathers to be left.

I friend of mine and his friend loaded all of their own ammo. This one evening they were just finishing up on a flock of crows, when the friend of my friend had a misfire. The problem was that it detonated about the time he was getting the pump back to eject the shell. My friend said there was this fireball that just engulfed his head. After finding out he was OK, my friend literally rolled on the ground laughing. You see, they both had full beards at the time and his friend was clean on half his face ... and his head up to where his baseball cap started since the fireball singed off everything else, including his eyebrow on one side ..... :lol: :lol:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein