Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:38 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Quote:
It worked out pretty good for those in position of authority, for quite awhile.

Really, how so? I thought most were dead within 5 to 10 years. But then maybe you see that as working out pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Now, now, turkey, I didn't say anything about perfection did I.

LOL, no you didn't.

Quote:
The way humans evolved up until several thousand years ago, was that the strongest survived and provided the most, selected the best looking women, and anyone who couldn't keep up, survive battle and hunting large game, was left to die. That was God's way, and a good one.

So does this mean if man's medical abilities have made it possible for those that are not so strong to survive, that is not Gods way. Is God's way the way it was several thousand years ago, but today it is not God's way. And who gets to say it is not God's way today.

While I am in agreement that some people probably should not have children if there is a high probability that genetic defects will occur, and the baby will not have a life most would consider close to normal. I guess I just get a little uneasy when I read, "Everyone carrying genes of a disorder which would cause disease in a child and public expense, should be forced to be sterilized."

If you have a kid that needs a wheelchair, then the school needs to go to "public expense" to make sure the wheelchair kid can get around. Better we don't have the kid, rather then spend public money on him? Now we're putting a price on the kids head. How much is he worth, or better yet how much is too much so we need to make sure he never exsists. Seems to me it's a slippery slope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:12 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Quote:
Don't presume that people don't want these children to save themselves a little "hassle", because you obviously know little about it.

Know little about what? The fact that my family carries rare blood diseases,heart disease,kidney disease,and now were finding severe cases of mental illness which my youngest sister and one of my nephew is now suffering? You're right .I just don't understand huh?

Mental illness and heart disease that may or may not manifest itself is a far cry from a child beset from birth with a genetic disorder that will doom him or her to a life of surgeries, wheelchair, isolation from their peers and early death, while their parents struggle to survive with mounting medical bills and weekly hospital visits.
My point being that parents who decide to abort a child shown to have a serious disability are not always thinking just of themselves and the "hassle", but often of the child and his or her lifetime of suffering as well.