EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:45 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Grace wrote:

You were asking for that one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:22 pm 

Grace wrote:
Oh my God you were in Iraq? Working with contractors? Wasn't this around the time of all the beheadings (or was it before)? If during the same time, weren't you afraid you'd be kidnapped & slaughtered like a lamb?

It was around the time. No, I wasn't afraid of being captured, I remained in the company of US soldiers alomost the entire time,and only went off base(the training site,when they were screaming for help from a bomb or a shooting. I am also a Former Marine with plenty of experience to help should a sticky situation arise,plus we were armed .But my wife wasterrified. Made me email her or call at least 4 times a day,no matter what the time was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:29 pm 

Hmm the debate of Money vs. the need to help. It was a little bit of both. Initially I signed on to BE a firefighter on a base somewhere(the money aspect) but the opportunity came around for the training job,which I jumped on(the need to help aspect).

I was able to take a trade that I have devoted my life to and train others,who see more action in a week than most FF's do in a year,or a career and help the to learn the proper way to help those who are in a battle for their lives everyday. Also this was a once in a lifetime deal for me,and since I would be making around $17K a month, I chose to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:34 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Hmm the debate of Money vs. the need to help. It was a little bit of both.

Hey, does that mean you're partially naive or are you exempt since you actually experienced it? :)

Mr. Venom wrote:
Initially I signed on to BE a firefighter on a base somewhere(the money aspect) but the opportunity came around for the training job,which I jumped on(the need to help aspect).

I was able to take a trade that I have devoted my life to and train others,who see more action in a week than most FF's do in a year,or a career and help the to learn the proper way to help those who are in a battle for their lives everyday. Also this was a once in a lifetime deal for me,and since I would be making around $17K a month, I chose to go.

Cool beans. Sounds like you got a lot out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:46 pm 

Yeah..Almost as much as the IRS!! Since I was over there less than a year,I got the tax man poking around in tender places wanting his cut. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Yeah..Almost as much as the IRS!! Since I was over there less than a year,I got the tax man poking around in tender places wanting his cut. :shock:

Ouch. Should've claimed the snakes as kids and gotten deductions! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:54 pm 

Origam wrote:
Mr. Venom wrote:

Ouch. Should've claimed the snakes as kids and gotten deductions! :D

I already have 4 deductions!!!! thats enough :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:57 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
I already have 4 deductions!!!! thats enough :D

:shock: Your wife is a saint. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:59 pm 

My wife is one of my deductions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:01 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
My wife is one of my deductions.

Still a saint..she puts up with you right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:16 pm 

Origam wrote:
Still a saint..she puts up with you right? :lol:

For 12 years....That and I'm sometimes gone for days(or months) at a time....that always helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:17 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
For 12 years....That and I'm sometimes gone for days(or months) at a time....that always helps :D

Lucky her! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:
Origam wrote:
Grace wrote:
It is a long (and partial) list of names (contractors), their occupations, and how they died (beheadings, shot, car bomb, etc.)

Does it change the fact that there are a lot of people jumping at the chance to go over there for work?

I would venture an educated guess (based on my interaction with contractors who have and are there) that 98% are motivated to do it (ie: "jumping at the chance") because of the incredible money to be made. Nothing wrong with that, but please don't be naiive and think that most are doing it "just to help".

-josh

Yes, since working outside of the US can be tax free income there is a significant incentive. We have several groups in the area that provide contractor services from RTI to Blackwater ..... :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:38 am 

Quote:
So I know we all love to be armchair quarterbacks, but these statistics are completely meaningless. To take an entire country like Iraq and compare it to a city in the US is misleading. What are the violent deaths per 100,000 population in the Sunni Triangle, or in specific cities or other regions in Iraq where it literally is hell on earth right now.

I agree the Sunni Triangle is where the problem occurs, and since the Sunnis got better treatment from Saddam that makes sense. They aren't happy we took him out because now they really are a minority.

But the point was things aren't always the way they seem in the news. How about we see a couple bombings in the Sunni Triangle, and then we go outside where things are going better and see a good story. That would be balanced coverage. Instead the coverage gives the impression the whole country is like the Sunni Triangle, and as some of know, that is not the case. If the news wants to tell us when it goes bad, that's fine. But they should be willing to tell us when it goes right too. It's hard to make a sound decision on something when you only hear one side of the story. But then if that is the agenda of the media it all makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:06 pm 

regarding the original topic this thread started as...."

castro, zarqawi, and george bush can all lick my butt as far as im concerned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next