EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:03 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When you call someone and get their voice mail/answering machine, do you leave a message?

I hate when someone tells me they've been trying to get a hold of me for a few days but there is never a message! It's not that hard to say "Hi, this is so-n-so, I'll try calling back" or "Hi this is so-n-so, please give me a call at 1234567".

Ooh.. that brings me to another gripe about voice mail/answering machines. I hate when someone leaves a message but talks like that guy who did the micro-machines commercials from way back when. You don't have to talk s-l-o-w, but dang nobody wants to have to replay the message 3-4 times just to get the phone number.

Speaking of having to replay messages.. nothing is more aggravating than someone who leaves their whole life history in a message and then leaves their number really fast at the end and to get to the number again you have to go through their super long message.

And another thing... why can't people spell out their name if they have some really strange name? Or even if they have a common name.. you know how many different ways there are to spell something like Smith and Johnson?

Ok.. enough about incoming calls, people who make incredibly long winded voice mail messages are annoying. Whatever happened to "Hello, you've reached the voice mail for so-n-so, I'm unavailable right now. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can". No, people have to have "Hello, you've reached the desk of so-n-so, I am either away from my desk, on a break, not at work, picking my nose, flossing my toes, ignoring my phone, or otherwise preoccupied and could care less about your call. If you would like me to call you back please leave a message and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah". Sheez..

I think I'm just going to start answering my phone by hanging up on people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:16 pm 

Well I hate leaving messages so I seldom do.

At home I unplugged my answering machine. I figure most people that really need to get a hold of me have my cell phone number. And I discovered a side benifit.

Without the answering machine the fax on the computer automatically kicks in after 4 or 5 rings. Now all the telemarketers get the fax and once they get the fax tone they take your number off the list. Then when the lists get resold to someone else your number is no longer on it. I've seen my telemarketer calls go down quite a bit.

I've been divorced for 8 years, but still get calls for my ex from telemarketers. My daughter usually answers the phone so I let her handle those calls. She's gotten to the point she can cry at the drop of a hat and tell them mommy went to heaven last month. I figure divorces are hard on kids, so they should at least get something out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:23 pm 

We used to let the parrots talk to telemarketers. Nothing funnier than a bird repeating "Hello" over and over again and a telemarketer doing the same. :lol:

I don't usually answer my phones.. except my work phone (because I have too). I figure if it's important they'll leave a message.. if not then they didn't really want to talk to me anyway. :D I hate when people let the message get all the way through and THEN hang up so theres only a dialtone on the voicemail/machine. I guess thats better than the people who call and do the "it's just me, just wanted to hear your voice" messages multiple times a day. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:31 pm 

Or how about the person that rambles on and on and on, without really saying anything. Then the next message is the important one, and it gets cut off right in the middle of the person leaving a call back number.

I use caller ID for my answering machine. I can tell who called while I was out. I don't know anyone important enough to block their number from showing up on caller ID. And if one of my friends started doing that, I'd just figure they've become a snob so I wouldn't want to talk to them anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:00 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

My voice mail thingy is " Heya.............................................. sorry, I aint here now leave a message." People get so mad at me for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:41 pm 

redfurrymonster84 wrote:
My voice mail thingy is " Heya.............................................. sorry, I aint here now leave a message." People get so mad at me for it!

I hate those!

I also hate having to press 1 for English. At least I don't have to press 2 for it.....yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:26 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I hate those that leave a message on the machine and act like your home but not answering the phone.

Hellloooo....its me......pick up the phone...........

this goes on for a couple minutes

they are as bad as those that jiggle the handle on the bathroom door and then knock to make sure someone is really in there. I take an extra ten minutes when people do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:10 am 

Quote:
I use caller ID for my answering machine. I can tell who called while I was out. I don't know anyone important enough to block their number from showing up on caller ID. And if one of my friends started doing that, I'd just figure they've become a snob so I wouldn't want to talk to them anyway.

I've got caller ID on my cellphone but it sucks because everyone who calls me shows up with the area code (guess that has to do with the fact that they have to dial a flippin one and the area code to call me even though they live in the same part of town!). I know people who block their number just because they don't want people to have it.. seems silly to me.

Quote:

I hate those kind of messages. I usually leave a long message.. of dead air in response to them. :D

Quote:
I also hate having to press 1 for English. At least I don't have to press 2 for it.....yet.

Yet.. give it a few weeks!

That's another gripe.. people who leave messages in other languages. Those usually get deleted as I don't feel like trying to translate from what little of various languages I know.

Quote:
they are as bad as those that jiggle the handle on the bathroom door and then knock to make sure someone is really in there. I take an extra ten minutes when people do that.

:lol: I hate when people knock on the bathroom door to see if someone is in there and then proceed to hold a conversation with you while you're in there!