EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:41 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060627/hl_nm/sleep_loss_dc

McDonalds and Coldstone are no longer shouldering the blame themselves!

7hours of sleep is normal? Dang.. unless I'm being lazy and spending all day in bed I get 3-4 maybe 5 on a good day. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:09 pm 

Same here. 5 hours is doing pretty good.

These geniuses have it all figured out, don't they. It all boils down to two things. How much you eat and how active you are. The things they mention only influence those two factors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Gosh, I sleep like 10 hours during the summer. Go to bed at 1, sleep until 10 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:38 pm 

Quote:
In fact, a group of researchers contend, a number of aspects of modern living -- from lack of sleep to exposure to environmental chemicals to living with air conditioning -- may be feeding Americans' weight woes.

Allright, now I can have a 1/2 a pack of Oreos to celebrate. Of course I'll open the windows before going to bed and also try to get a couple more hours of sleep to compensate.

I can also buy extra ice cream for the weekend. Down side is I can eat the ice cream because the guy came and cut my hay today. That means sometime between now and the weekend I need to bale 500 or so bales of hay. And they say it's going to be in the 90s. I need to find some guy jogging down the road for exercise and have him come out and put bales in my barn instead. He'd get the same exercise, and I'd be a lot happier. Works out for both of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:50 am 

Archer wrote:
Same here. 5 hours is doing pretty good.

Sleep is highly overrated. :D

Archer wrote:
These geniuses have it all figured out, don't they. It all boils down to two things. How much you eat and how active you are. The things they mention only influence those two factors.

Yes and no. That does play a big part in why a lot of people are overweight but some people are overweight due to health problems and medications. It's not always black and white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:52 am 

redfurrymonster84 wrote:
Gosh, I sleep like 10 hours during the summer. Go to bed at 1, sleep until 10 or so.

Geez. When I was your age we used to stay up until 3-4 in the morning yapping to other kids on the computer. :D

10 hours of sleep.. I miss those days. *sigh* 'Course I also miss the going out with friends at 5am to Dennys and staying out until like noon and then coming home and crashing until 7-8 at night. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am 

Origam wrote:
Yes and no. That does play a big part in why a lot of people are overweight but some people are overweight due to health problems and medications. It's not always black and white.

Yes, that's true. I'm speaking for those that have a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Allright, now I can have a 1/2 a pack of Oreos to celebrate. Of course I'll open the windows before going to bed and also try to get a couple more hours of sleep to compensate.

I can also buy extra ice cream for the weekend. Down side is I can eat the ice cream because the guy came and cut my hay today. That means sometime between now and the weekend I need to bale 500 or so bales of hay. And they say it's going to be in the 90s. I need to find some guy jogging down the road for exercise and have him come out and put bales in my barn instead. He'd get the same exercise, and I'd be a lot happier. Works out for both of us.

Hey.. why not make it easier on yourself and get cookies and cream ice cream?! :D

Baling hay in 90degree weather doesn't sound like fun. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:56 am 

hunter88 wrote:
That means sometime between now and the weekend I need to bale 500 or so bales of hay.

Then you can haul it down to Texas and make a fortune. With our short supply of hay right now, you can sell square bales for at least ten bucks a piece, and round bales for over a hundred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:59 am 

Archer wrote:

If it were easy to lose weight, I'm sure more people would do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:01 am 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:09 am 

Quote:
Then you can haul it down to Texas and make a fortune. With our short supply of hay right now, you can sell square bales for at least ten bucks a piece, and round bales for over a hundred.

Shhh not too loud. I don't want the guy I buy my round bales from to hear that. I get 2000 pound round bales of alfalfa delivered for $55 each. Small squares of alfalfa probably bring between $3 and $4, with grass hay bringing less. I'll be putting up grass hay myself.

I'm going to fence in about 1/4 of my hay ground for extra pasture. I plan on having one neighbor bring his bobcat over and dig post holes for me. I figure if I give him 30 or so small square bales for his horses he'll be happy, and I won't have to dig the holes by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:19 am 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Yep.

'Course if most of them would quit the fad diets and miracle cures and just eat healthier and move more they might find the miracles they've been looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

Shhh not too loud. I don't want the guy I buy my round bales from to hear that. I get 2000 pound round bales of alfalfa delivered for $55 each. Small squares of alfalfa probably bring between $3 and $4, with grass hay bringing less. I'll be putting up grass hay myself.

I'm going to fence in about 1/4 of my hay ground for extra pasture. I plan on having one neighbor bring his bobcat over and dig post holes for me. I figure if I give him 30 or so small square bales for his horses he'll be happy, and I won't have to dig the holes by hand.

Yeah, I find it funny that people are still feeding coastal around here. You can get good, irrigated alfalfa from Vernon or California for not much more than what coastal was before the drought. Not to mention, it's so much better for the animals. Now that it's cheaper to feed alfalfa, people still aren't doing it. :?