EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:28 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I'm not looking forward to weeding the yard this weekend. I've learned that I need an Eeyore to eat the thistle cause those suckers hurt when you pull them out.

The trees we planted seem to be doing really well. The Rhubarb is growing like crazy, if it keeps up the way it's going we'll have tons of it when it's ready to pick next year. The tomato plants are growing nicely as are the pepper and herb plants. The strawberry plants are doing so-so.. I think they may have gotten overwatered. The lime tree is doing alright.. I can't wait until it's big enough to start growing limes.

We're currently on a quest to find a specific kind of tree.. it doesn't have leaves on it right now or I'd take them with me to the nursery to find out what it is (heck it took me a year to figure out the giant tree in the yard in San Diego was a China Doll!). I like it because it's got this pretty reddish color to it.. pictures don't do it justice though and the two people at nurserys I've talked to don't know what kind it is. Ugh! I'm going to a nursery that specializes in trees this weekend to see if they know. Short of digging it up and bringing it with me the pictures have to do!

We've got a few more trees and some flowering plants to plant this weekend and then I think we're done for a while. We decided to fence off part of the front yard and let it stay wild with the native grasses and such that I guess are technically weeds but they're very pretty to look at.

*edited to add this little grumble*
One of our neighbors made a snide remark the other day about how green our yard is compared to the rest of the neighborhood. He didn't like it when I told him if perhaps instead of letting water go to waste down the drain if he collected it in jugs like we did he could have a greener yard too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:24 am 

I want a garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:29 am 

Archer wrote:
I want a garden.

They sell mini green houses you can keep on your desk. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:01 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
I want a garden.

They sell mini green houses you can keep on your desk. :D

Really? Where?

Although I have plants on my desk already, that does sound like a good idea for the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:08 pm 

Archer wrote:
Really? Where?

Although I have plants on my desk already, that does sound like a good idea for the house.

Uhm... I got one at the Navy Exchange back in San Diego. Haven't looked for any out here but I imagine Wal-mart, Target, places like that or even a nursery might have them?

Shouldn't be all that hard to make one yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 pm 

Probably. I'll google it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:25 pm 

Archer wrote:

Shoot.. make your own, it'd probably be cheaper. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:09 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Shoot.. make your own, it'd probably be cheaper. :D

Yeah, but I still need to google it to get some ideas. You know I won't buy it, not til December anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:17 pm 

Archer wrote:
Yeah, but I still need to google it to get some ideas. You know I won't buy it, not til December anyway.

Holy smokes.. December isn't that far away anymore. :shock: I need to start thinking about Christmas shopping. Ugh!

Hopefully if you build your own you're a bit more handy with tools than my neighbor.. kind of sad that I could put together a better garden box than he could. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:49 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Holy smokes.. December isn't that far away anymore. :shock: I need to start thinking about Christmas shopping. Ugh!

Hopefully if you build your own you're a bit more handy with tools than my neighbor.. kind of sad that I could put together a better garden box than he could. :D

Christmas shopping? It's not Christmas Eve yet!

I'm decent with tools. I have to be to do what I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:58 pm 

Archer wrote:
Christmas shopping? It's not Christmas Eve yet!

*SNORK* Spoken like a true male. :D I did that one year and everyone got stuff from the Quick n Stop and fast food coupons that year. :lol:

I start my Christmas Shopping in July or August... 'course I tend to forget half the stuff I've bought people and they end up getting twice as much that way.

I couldn't wait until Christmas Eve to do shopping. I hate large crowds and the malls get way to packed. I'd rather eat seafood that shop from the day after Thanksgiving through New Years day.

Archer wrote:
I'm decent with tools. I have to be to do what I do.

My dad gave up trying to teach me the finer points of tools. I think that was about the time that my son and I broke a few drill bits and found out that drills have reverse on them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:22 pm 

I got a late start on my garden this year, so it's been so so at best.

I went out last week and picked up some bushes that were 1/2 off. I decided to take out my paver brick sidewalk and put in concrete instead. I'm using the bricks to make a patio beside my back deck. I put new steps in place last weekend and planted the bushes where I hopefully will want them. I want to put in some small fence yet to cut down the size of the yard and make a smaller area to sit and grill. I'm thinking of a small pond next year.

Been here 6 years, I guess it's about time I got around to setting up a nice backyard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:23 pm 

Origam wrote:
I think that was about the time that my son and I broke a few drill bits and found out that drills have reverse on them. :D

The finer points? Sounds like a few basics might be in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 pm 

Archer wrote:

I've got the basics down.. like don't put your tools down in the dirt when working on a project, make sure the tools get put back in their proper place and not left laying around, make sure the tools that need to be charged are plugged in.. and so on. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:58 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

I've got the basics down.. like don't put your tools down in the dirt when working on a project, make sure the tools get put back in their proper place and not left laying around, make sure the tools that need to be charged are plugged in.. and so on. :D

Right. *reminds self that we're dealing with a woman* Those basics.