Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:34 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Mr. Venom wrote:
I don't think I'll catch up to you Wayne. We'll be at 12 years this September.

Maybe you can since we renewed our vows for our 23rd it could be counted as being married for 23 and THEN 7 years which makes it possible to catch since you started between the two. I suppose it is such a good thing my second wife understands all of the stuff form the first wife around the house ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was interesting having the wedding pictures with our kids in them ... kind of like a normal WV, KY, TN or AL wedding ... :shock:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:58 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Was there any moonshine there?!?!?!? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:06 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Mr. Venom wrote:
Was there any moonshine there?!?!?!? :D

No there wasn't but the reception was held elsewhere ... my oldest threatened to bring a shotgun to make it feel more like a real mountain wedding though .... :lol: :lol:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:45 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Thanks I think ... Maybe I will go take a nap now as I am feeling way too old .... :P

It's a compliment. :D Everyone my age wishes they could have a marriage as happy as the 'rents. They're still very much in love and happy. :shock:

Dad always says you're only as old as you feel which makes him 27. :lol: He was 21 until I turned 21 and then he decided he was 25. ;) I get some interesting looks when people ask how old my folks are and I tell them mom is 52 and dad is 27. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:53 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Thanks I think ... Maybe I will go take a nap now as I am feeling way too old .... :P

It's a compliment. :D Everyone my age wishes they could have a marriage as happy as the 'rents. They're still very much in love and happy. :shock:

Dad always says you're only as old as you feel which makes him 27. :lol: He was 21 until I turned 21 and then he decided he was 25. ;) I get some interesting looks when people ask how old my folks are and I tell them mom is 52 and dad is 27. :lol:

This is true. Growing old cannot be controlled but growing UP can be and I refuse to do it .... :P

My oldest son is 27 (I think :lol: ) and I still embarrass him whenever possible, but now he understands it better than when he was a teenager. He still talks about the time we went to dinner in an Irish Pub in Charleston, SC right as there was a shift change. The hostess seated us but the waiter was not assigned since the new hostess saw to that ...only we were already seated. After being ignored for too long I set up a tent (menu) on the table and proceeded to build a campfire by making logs from sugar packets after I emptied them. The manager caught on as I pulled my lighter out to start the campfire. Our order was taken immediately and rushed through ahead of the others and we all got a free dessert as well. My son said I was so calm he knew I was not going to light the packets, until I explained that I was going to light them and because of that I was staying calm. The manager understood that I was not emotional but had gotten a bit on the upset side, which is why we got the treatment we did. I would have easily created a very noticeable scene that the pub did not want. If you act crazy they can ignore you to a certain degree, but when you are calm it really scares them because they never know what you may do. :lol: :lol:

I just hope he gets back from the beach soon. He borrowed my GPS navigator and his mom's convertible to go to the beach for a couple of day with his girlfriend before she moves back to California. I cannot start much until he gets back because his truck is in my way and he did not leave the keys ... :roll:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:01 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Hunter,

I originally had planned to bale the hay off half an acre and tether the cows around elsewhere. But since the 1/6 I made permanent pasture has 2 big cement pads on it and since I found a farmer who will sell me 2nd crop hay at 1.50 a bale if I help make it, I will be pasturing the cows on 1/2 of the acre.
Which will help increase the productivity since the cows came with the optional fertilizer attachment :lol:

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:30 am 

Quote:
I will be pasturing the cows on 1/2 of the acre.

The only reason I asked is because cows will bloat if they graze alfalfa, and I wasn't sure if the pasture was mostly grass or had some alfalfa.

Years back we had a couple hundred acres of farm ground where we grew corn and alfalfa. Most of the ground was in alfalfa since we put it up as silage for winter feeding of cows and fat cattle. In the fall when the crops were out we'd turn the cows loose on the farm ground, so they could eat leftovers until snow cover meant we had to start feeding again. We were always careful to have at least one freeze or maybe even two before we'd turn cows out on alfalfa. I saw a neighbor turn some calves out in his alfalfa too early one year and he lost quite a few of them to bloat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:39 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

I seeded the oats with a clover/alfalfa mix not too heavy on the alfalfa.
I'm not too worried about the bloat as I will put the cows on pasture gradually letting them get used to the stuff. In my experience it's not the stuff they're eating but the quantities. If a cow is used to a baled hay/silage/grain diet and you slap her on pasture without some moderation you're gonna have problems. The digestive tract gets used to processing one thing and has a hard time changing quickly.
With this bunch for instance I tethered them out for gradually increasing times and then returned them to their pen where I fed baled hay. Now they are totally pasture and I haven't had a problem. Not even the big green liquid shits that cows will sometimes get in the spring when they first hit pasture.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:06 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
This is true. Growing old cannot be controlled but growing UP can be and I refuse to do it .... :P

Typical male thinking! :D :lol: I don't refuse to grow up (although, at times that's debatable) but I refuse to grow old gracefully (thankfully the family genes are good in that area)!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
My oldest son is 27 (I think :lol: ) and I still embarrass him whenever possible, but now he understands it better than when he was a teenager.

The 'rents gave up trying to embarass us girls when they hired a stripper for my sister's sweet 16 (way back in the day.. before people started being sue happy) and we all laughed about it. :shock: Dude was from CA and so pale he could've been mistaken for an albino.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
He still talks about the time we went to dinner in an Irish Pub in Charleston, SC right as there was a shift change. The hostess seated us but the waiter was not assigned since the new hostess saw to that ...only we were already seated. After being ignored for too long I set up a tent (menu) on the table and proceeded to build a campfire by making logs from sugar packets after I emptied them. The manager caught on as I pulled my lighter out to start the campfire. Our order was taken immediately and rushed through ahead of the others and we all got a free dessert as well. My son said I was so calm he knew I was not going to light the packets, until I explained that I was going to light them and because of that I was staying calm. The manager understood that I was not emotional but had gotten a bit on the upset side, which is why we got the treatment we did. I would have easily created a very noticeable scene that the pub did not want. If you act crazy they can ignore you to a certain degree, but when you are calm it really scares them because they never know what you may do. :lol: :lol:

:D I've got to share that one with dad. :lol:

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I just hope he gets back from the beach soon. He borrowed my GPS navigator and his mom's convertible to go to the beach for a couple of day with his girlfriend before she moves back to California. I cannot start much until he gets back because his truck is in my way and he did not leave the keys ... :roll:

A GPS navigator and a convertible? :shock: Sounds like trouble right there. :D

Didn't leave the keys. *SNORK* Did anyone tell him too? :D