EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:04 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Archer wrote:
Right. *reminds self that we're dealing with a woman* Those basics.

Tell you what, I bet I could build as good if not better a corner cabinet that you could.. right down to the sanding and finishing. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:25 pm 

hunter88 wrote:
I got a late start on my garden this year, so it's been so so at best.

Better late than never.. right? :D

hunter88 wrote:
I went out last week and picked up some bushes that were 1/2 off. I decided to take out my paver brick sidewalk and put in concrete instead. I'm using the bricks to make a patio beside my back deck. I put new steps in place last weekend and planted the bushes where I hopefully will want them. I want to put in some small fence yet to cut down the size of the yard and make a smaller area to sit and grill.

Brick patios rock! Wow.. sounds like you've been pretty busy. :shock:
Sounds pretty though.. we need a picture of your patio!

hunter88 wrote:
I'm thinking of a small pond next year.

A small pond as in one of those black plastic tubs you can make into a pond or one you dig and line? I love ponds.

hunter88 wrote:
Been here 6 years, I guess it's about time I got around to setting up a nice backyard.

Six years.. and you're just now getting around to it? You need more women around to nag you! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:03 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Tell you what, I bet I could build as good if not better a corner cabinet that you could.. right down to the sanding and finishing. ;)

I don't doubt that, although I'm pretty good at the finishing part. You might be better than me at that, but I bet I know more about your tools. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:04 pm 

Quote:
A small pond as in one of those black plastic tubs you can make into a pond or one you dig and line? I love ponds.

I'm thinking of digging and lining, but haven't decided yet. My sister has a pretty big one at her place. At least when it comes time to get fish I can just go to her place and net some out of her pond. The part I'm really going to hate is buying rocks. We just have dirt here and no rocks. There's just something wrong with buying rocks.

Quote:
Six years.. and you're just now getting around to it? You need more women around to nag you! :lol:

Oh I don't think so. Might cut into my hunting time. And I already have to share bed space with the dog.

I did get trees planted. Brought in some 6 foot tall spruce trees and some ash trees that were about 15 feet tall when we planted them. And I did get grass growing along with some shrubs planted along one side of the house.

The patio is coming about because of new neighbors and a sunny deck. I built a 10 x 28 foot deck on the south side of my house years ago. Problem is it's usually in the sun even late in the day. And now I have two new neighbors to my south. The closest is about 150 to 200 yards away, but in the country that is close.

So I decided to go off my east deck, which is my back yard. Now I can put in some bushes that get 6 feet tall, and it should block off some wind and the neighbors.

Part of the planning is make the spot smaller. Right now my back yard is 100 feet deep by 160 to 180 feet wide. I'm trying to use bushes and small picket style fence to make a smaller yard within the back yard. Here I'll have the patio and the pond, with room for the grill and a couple benches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:09 pm 

Quote:
Origam wrote
I've got the basics down.. like don't put your tools down in the dirt when working on a project, make sure the tools get put back in their proper place and not left laying around, make sure the tools that need to be charged are plugged in.. and so on.

Archer wrote

When I got to the part where it said "make sure the tools that need to be charged are plugged in", I was going to ask if we were still talking about gardening. But after Archer wrote this.

Quote:
I don't doubt that, although I'm pretty good at the finishing part. You might be better than me at that, but I bet I know more about your tools. :lol:

I thought if it wasn't gardening I didn't want to know anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:12 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
Christmas shopping? It's not Christmas Eve yet!

*SNORK* Spoken like a true male. :D I did that one year and everyone got stuff from the Quick n Stop and fast food coupons that year. :lol:

I start my Christmas Shopping in July or August... 'course I tend to forget half the stuff I've bought people and they end up getting twice as much that way.

I couldn't wait until Christmas Eve to do shopping. I hate large crowds and the malls get way to packed. I'd rather eat seafood that shop from the day after Thanksgiving through New Years day.

Shoot I have my wife's birthday present, our anniversary present, Christmas present, Valentine's present next year, Mother's Day present next year, birthday present next year, anniversary present next year, Christmas next year, and a couple of "emergency get out of dog house" gifts in my stash. Of course when I get a good deal on good jewelry it can pay to stock up :lol: :lol:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:16 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

I'm thinking of digging and lining, but haven't decided yet. My sister has a pretty big one at her place. At least when it comes time to get fish I can just go to her place and net some out of her pond. The part I'm really going to hate is buying rocks. We just have dirt here and no rocks. There's just something wrong with buying rocks.

If you need to buy them you do not want to wait. I bought 6 ton for some planters a couple of years ago and just ordered 3 more ton to build a could of more and it cost just as much as the prior 6 ton shipment. If I had not waited to get the shipment combined with another it would have been DOUBLE what I paid last time.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:19 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

had some moles/voles/burrowing vermin eating the leeks out of the garden so I brought home some dry ice from work and plugged all of the holes with it. Hopefully the CO2 displaced all of the O2 in the burrows and they all suffocated last night .....

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:44 pm 

Quote:
If you need to buy them you do not want to wait. I bought 6 ton for some planters a couple of years ago and just ordered 3 more ton to build a could of more and it cost just as much as the prior 6 ton shipment. If I had not waited to get the shipment combined with another it would have been DOUBLE what I paid last time.

We've got a couple places not too far off that sell rock. I have a 1 ton flatbed dually so I figure I can haul home a ton or so at a time and cut the delivery charge, which is almost as much as the rock. It's too bad the rocks aren't as plentiful as the sand and gravel. Here a 15 ton load of sand or gravel doesn't cost too much. Actually the trucking is way more then the sand itself. I think the last time I got some it was $250 for a 15 ton load.

Quote:
had some moles/voles/burrowing vermin eating the leeks out of the garden so I brought home some dry ice from work and plugged all of the holes with it. Hopefully the CO2 displaced all of the O2 in the burrows and they all suffocated last night .....

Feed stores around here sell a deal that looks like an oversized firecracker, that will gas those underground critters. Of course I'm sure it's not as enviromentally friendly as dry ice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

We've got a couple places not too far off that sell rock. I have a 1 ton flatbed dually so I figure I can haul home a ton or so at a time and cut the delivery charge, which is almost as much as the rock. It's too bad the rocks aren't as plentiful as the sand and gravel. Here a 15 ton load of sand or gravel doesn't cost too much. Actually the trucking is way more then the sand itself. I think the last time I got some it was $250 for a 15 ton load.

True, and the stone I ordered is a special coloration to match the other planters and is not as common as it was a couple of years ago. The quarry shut down I believe since the supply is limited now. I wanted 2 ton but there were only 2 1-2/2 ton pallets available so I wound up getting more than I needed and will have another job to do with stone here in the yard somewhere. At one time I had over 13 ton of stone here at one time to build walls and planters. I was a little younger then too ... :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

Feed stores around here sell a deal that looks like an oversized firecracker, that will gas those underground critters. Of course I'm sure it's not as enviromentally friendly as dry ice.

It is not that friendly, but it does work especially on the larger burrowing animals. The hardware store near the lab used to carry it, but stopped or I would have gotten some to use if the dry ice does not work. The principle is similar just not as noxious with the dry ice.

I used one of those to remove some snakes from a compressor shed at the lab (where we produce our own scientific grade filtered air) before we sealed the holes the snakes found to get in. We have a few black snakes that live off the field mice that live on the property, but have had a couple of copperheads move in too. I did not want to take the chance of trapping a copperhead and did not want to kill the blacksnakes either so I used the device in a metal container to "smoke them out". The device burns sulfur and creates a nice thick cloud of black smoke that smells to high heaven, which is why I used the metal container since I did not know how hot it would burn. It also sprays fire out in the fashion of some of the fireworks, which caused sparks and burning embers from the paper to fly out of the container and set fire to the shed. Of course since it was my idea I was there and responsible, so I grabbed the fire extinguisher, held my breath and put out the fire. It only took a few trips in and out of the shed, but it also allowed all of the smoke out too. The purpose was defeated, I smelled worse than Mr. Venom after one of his fires, and EVERYONE at the lab was laughing their butts off. I was fortunate that most everyone had left for the day, but they were informed the next morning. I had to delay the sealing while I found out if naphthalene would make it through the filters (sulfur would not) so I could use moth balls to remove the snakes. They still laugh about that when I get a torch out to do something. I tell them I could have let it burn, collected the insurance, retired, and left them to find other work .... but they do not believe me for some reason.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:02 am 

Quote:
At one time I had over 13 ton of stone here at one time to build walls and planters. I was a little younger then too ...
:lol:

13 tons, no wonder the weather has changed. It's not global warming. You caused a shift in the earth's axis, and now the polar ice caps are melting. :wink:

Last year when we got done putting hay in the barn I asked my daughters how much they thought it all weighed. They were guessing a couple thousand pounds give or take. I told them 500, 50 pound bales means they'd put 12.5 tons of hay in the barn. They got real tired after that.

Oh just in case you're now feeling guilty for shifting the axis and melting the ice caps. I saw on the news today the gray whale has made a great come back, and in part they think the melting of the ice caps helped by releasing more plankton. Of course I'm sure this will be countered by higher ocean temps which were caused by global warming, that in turn will kill off a bunch of whales. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:05 am 

Archer wrote:
I don't doubt that, although I'm pretty good at the finishing part.

The finishing part is the easiest. :D

Archer wrote:
You might be better than me at that, but I bet I know more about your tools. :lol:

:shock: If I had a gutter mind that might be taken the wrong way. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am 

hunter88 wrote:
I thought if it wasn't gardening I didn't want to know anymore.

I'd tell you if I knew anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:09 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
Christmas shopping? It's not Christmas Eve yet!

*SNORK* Spoken like a true male. :D I did that one year and everyone got stuff from the Quick n Stop and fast food coupons that year. :lol:

I start my Christmas Shopping in July or August... 'course I tend to forget half the stuff I've bought people and they end up getting twice as much that way.

I couldn't wait until Christmas Eve to do shopping. I hate large crowds and the malls get way to packed. I'd rather eat seafood that shop from the day after Thanksgiving through New Years day.

Shoot I have my wife's birthday present, our anniversary present, Christmas present, Valentine's present next year, Mother's Day present next year, birthday present next year, anniversary present next year, Christmas next year, and a couple of "emergency get out of dog house" gifts in my stash. Of course when I get a good deal on good jewelry it can pay to stock up :lol: :lol:

Man alive. I don't have the ability to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:13 am 

hunter88 wrote:

Koi fish or regular goldfish?

I like buying rocks.. I'm weird like that though. Heck we like rocks so much we moved a few of them from San Diego to Colorado with us. :D

hunter88 wrote:
Oh I don't think so. Might cut into my hunting time. And I already have to share bed space with the dog.

:lol:

hunter88 wrote:
I did get trees planted. Brought in some 6 foot tall spruce trees and some ash trees that were about 15 feet tall when we planted them. And I did get grass growing along with some shrubs planted along one side of the house.

I think the biggest tree I planted was maybe 2 and a half feet. :D

hunter88 wrote:
The patio is coming about because of new neighbors and a sunny deck. I built a 10 x 28 foot deck on the south side of my house years ago. Problem is it's usually in the sun even late in the day. And now I have two new neighbors to my south. The closest is about 150 to 200 yards away, but in the country that is close.

Neighbors.. they're popping up everywhere!

hunter88 wrote:
So I decided to go off my east deck, which is my back yard. Now I can put in some bushes that get 6 feet tall, and it should block off some wind and the neighbors.

And hopefully wind from your neighbors. :D :lol:

Ugh.. I'm still trying to figure out North, East, south, West. East and West are easy because West is towards the mountains (although.. the first few weeks here that confused me since west was away from the mountains before).

hunter88 wrote:
Part of the planning is make the spot smaller. Right now my back yard is 100 feet deep by 160 to 180 feet wide. I'm trying to use bushes and small picket style fence to make a smaller yard within the back yard. Here I'll have the patio and the pond, with room for the grill and a couple benches.

Kind of like a quiet spot? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next