EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:15 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Shoot I have my wife's birthday present, our anniversary present, Christmas present, Valentine's present next year, Mother's Day present next year, birthday present next year, anniversary present next year, Christmas next year, and a couple of "emergency get out of dog house" gifts in my stash. Of course when I get a good deal on good jewelry it can pay to stock up :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Hey.. get out of the doghouse gifts? Dang.. I need to marry up next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:07 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Feed stores around here sell a deal that looks like an oversized firecracker, that will gas those underground critters. Of course I'm sure it's not as enviromentally friendly as dry ice.

I remember selling those when I worked at a feed store. We even used them out back once.

We started getting gophers or moles real bad up there, and we tried all the baits and traps and bombs without much luck. Then I took some hen scratch and soaked it in antifreeze and stuffed it in their holes. Within days, every one of them things was accross the street in the park. We never had a problem with them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm 

Quote:
Koi fish or regular goldfish?

Goldfish. My sister had two koi in her pond but an otter got them. Her pond is pretty big and one day she looked out to see a crane looking for goldfish. She thought it was neat, but then she thought about his sharp bill and her pond liner.

Quote:
hunter88 wrote:
Part of the planning is make the spot smaller. Right now my back yard is 100 feet deep by 160 to 180 feet wide. I'm trying to use bushes and small picket style fence to make a smaller yard within the back yard. Here I'll have the patio and the pond, with room for the grill and a couple benches.

Kind of like a quiet spot?

That and it's kind of hard to landscape a real large area. It seemed to me it would be nicer if I had a small area within the larger yard.

Today I went out and bought more garden plants. They'll have to hold for a couple more days before I can plant them. I want to dig up a new area for my garden, but I need to bale hay today first. Then by tomorrow I can switch stuff over to dig up the garden. I don't have a garden tiller, so I dig my garden with a 16 foot wide field disk.

The reason I bought more plants is because it's getting late enough they are all marked way down. I picked up 6 packs of assorted pepper plants for 10 cents each. So now I have 36 pepper plants to stick in the ground.

Well like it or not, I'm going to have to leave the cool of the house and go out to bale hay. I'll put them on the ground this afternoon, and when my oldest daughter and her boyfriend show up for supper, we'll try to get most of them in the barn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:21 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Shoot I have my wife's birthday present, our anniversary present, Christmas present, Valentine's present next year, Mother's Day present next year, birthday present next year, anniversary present next year, Christmas next year, and a couple of "emergency get out of dog house" gifts in my stash. Of course when I get a good deal on good jewelry it can pay to stock up :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Hey.. get out of the doghouse gifts? Dang.. I need to marry up next time!

Hey, she married me when I had nothing but hopes and some debt. I had totaled my car and had to deal with that big jump in insurance costs in addition to replacing my car. We lived in an old trailer that it seemed you could nearly touch both side walls if you stuck you arms out all of the way. Stuck it out in our home state for a dozen years before deciding the only way we could give our kids the start they needed was in a better economic area. Two years later, I was starting my lab and putting in 80-90 hour weeks making less per hour than everyone working for me. She earned the gifts and more for helping me to get to where I am now. Now you just have to build your own .... :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:48 am 

Quote:
Hey, she married me when I had nothing but hopes and some debt. I had totaled my car and had to deal with that big jump in insurance costs in addition to replacing my car. We lived in an old trailer that it seemed you could nearly touch both side walls if you stuck you arms out all of the way. Stuck it out in our home state for a dozen years before deciding the only way we could give our kids the start they needed was in a better economic area. Two years later, I was starting my lab and putting in 80-90 hour weeks making less per hour than everyone working for me. She earned the gifts and more for helping me to get to where I am now. Now you just have to build your own .... :wink:

Yeah but you give jewelry just for long hair. You know how high that sets the bar for the rest of us. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:52 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:

When I married my ex we lived in a travel trailer (which didn't have a bathroom and some nights I had to walk 3.5 miles to the beach 7 months pregnant) in an alley behind his friends house. We moved in with the 'rents and lived there for a while and then in with his friend and then out into a rathole apartment that was like something out of Stephen King and then in with his friends and then into another scary apartment and then in with his friends and so on. :shock: He did get me a bracelet onces.. engraved even 'course he was never a good speller and it was engraved to Embrie! :lol: I think I got flowers once too in the 4 years some odd months we were married.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:02 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah but you give jewelry just for long hair. You know how high that sets the bar for the rest of us. :lol:

Nah, she cut her hair shorter even though I really like long hair. Something about easier to take care of or something like that... how would I know since most of my hair moved on me... :shock:

I do get some flack from some of our friends but unusually the ones who buy inappropriate gifts for their wives such as a vacuum or jewelry in a style their wife does not wear. I guess I am just a trouble maker at heart ... but a troublemaker who will have been married 30 years come October and together 4 years prior to that and she is still turning heads so I know how lucky I am that I worked on keeping things alive ... :wink:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:05 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

When I married my ex we lived in a travel trailer (which didn't have a bathroom and some nights I had to walk 3.5 miles to the beach 7 months pregnant) in an alley behind his friends house. We moved in with the 'rents and lived there for a while and then in with his friend and then out into a rathole apartment that was like something out of Stephen King and then in with his friends and then into another scary apartment and then in with his friends and so on. :shock: He did get me a bracelet onces.. engraved even 'course he was never a good speller and it was engraved to Embrie! :lol: I think I got flowers once too in the 4 years some odd months we were married.

I have known some guys like that and a couple of women too. You did the right thing getting on with your life.

I think I average about flowers once a month outside of the normal holiday purchases. The best kind for her are the ones for no special reason.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:07 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I do get some flack from some of our friends but unusually the ones who buy inappropriate gifts for their wives such as a vacuum or jewelry in a style their wife does not wear. I guess I am just a trouble maker at heart ... but a troublemaker who will have been married 30 years come October and together 4 years prior to that and she is still turning heads so I know how lucky I am that I worked on keeping things alive ... :wink:

30 years? Good lord.. no wonder you sound like my parents. :D They've got you beat by 7 years this coming December. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:10 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I have known some guys like that and a couple of women too. You did the right thing getting on with your life.

It was either him or the kids.. the kids won hands down. :D

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I think I average about flowers once a month outside of the normal holiday purchases. The best kind for her are the ones for no special reason.

The no reason kind are the best for every gal! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 pm 

Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Feed stores around here sell a deal that looks like an oversized firecracker, that will gas those underground critters. Of course I'm sure it's not as enviromentally friendly as dry ice.

I remember selling those when I worked at a feed store. We even used them out back once.

We started getting gophers or moles real bad up there, and we tried all the baits and traps and bombs without much luck. Then I took some hen scratch and soaked it in antifreeze and stuffed it in their holes. Within days, every one of them things was accross the street in the park. We never had a problem with them again.

Do you have a stone where your heart should be? Do you know what a horrible death antifreeze causes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:33 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

We went pretty big on the garden this year.
Plowed half an acre and put 2/3 in oats with clover and alfalfa gonna harvest the oats and hopefully the other stuff will stick around a few years for the cows to graze. 1/3 is in sunflowers for the chickens, kidney beans for whoever we feed em to and all our viney crops such as watermelon, squash, pickles, and pumpkins. Still have half that acre in pasture 1/3 will be permanent and I built a 10x12 shed on a concrete pad for the cows.
Each year I will rotate by 1/6.

Our main garden has green beans, lettuce, turnips, rutabagas, asparagus, rhubarb, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, peas, raspberries (just getting red) and strawberries (all ready put up over 5 gallon in the freezer yummmmmy).

strawberriesImage

half acre straight ahead garden to the left Image

Plus I have a 60x 25 corn patch with tassels all ready showing on the shorter day corn!!!!

The backyard is slowly being taken over by the garden, fruit trees, and various animals.

In the front yard we put in an 8x10 pond last year (dug and lined) and this year I'm working on some sort of waterfall setup for it.
We put pavers down on one side of the deck as well and this year if I can find the time I have to do the other side.
We have planted grapes, bleeding hearts (pink and white), columbine, hostas, peonies,iris, and God knows what all between the sidewalk and the driveway and are working on getting some colored mulch in there to help cut down on the weeds.

Last year landscaping in progress Image

And didn't even have to buy any rock. Pretty thick up here. We call em frost potatoes.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:27 am 

Quote:
Plowed half an acre and put 2/3 in oats with clover and alfalfa gonna harvest the oats and hopefully the other stuff will stick around a few years for the cows to graze.

sammyd, will you have cattle grazing the area where you planted the clover and alfalfa, or will you be baling the alfalfa for hay for the cattle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:40 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

30 years? Good lord.. no wonder you sound like my parents. :D They've got you beat by 7 years this coming December. :P

Thanks I think ... Maybe I will go take a nap now as I am feeling way too old .... :P

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:43 am 

I don't think I'll catch up to you Wayne. We'll be at 12 years this September.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next