EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:40 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When they tell you to slow down on your workload that means play on the internet right?

What type of work do you currently do (err.. you don't have to be specific just a general idea will do)?
How long have you had your present job?
How many jobs have you have in the last 10 years?
What was your favorite job and why?
What is the longest you've held a job for?
Does your job do goofy things like send out e-mails in June for planning the Christmas party and pass out chocolate bunnies for Easter?
Do you get along with your co-workers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:47 pm 

What type of work do you currently do (err.. you don't have to be specific just a general idea will do)?
I basically fix up legal documents for online use... on yeah and pagination. Fun stuff.
10 months
13 :shock: Isn't as bad as it sounds, most of them were temp. :D
ICT for the SDSO. It was my favorite because the people I worked with rocked, the job was interesting, I met all sorts of different people, and got to do all sorts of fun stuff.
4 years 8 months and 16 days (yeah.. I liked it that much)
Does your job do goofy things like send out e-mails in June for planning the Christmas party and pass out chocolate bunnies for Easter?
Yup... and then some!
Of course. :D Everyone likes me.. except that one chick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:48 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I don't have a job, and won't have one for awhile. hehe

I'm going to do something with computers for sure though. Like web design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:52 pm 

redfurrymonster84 wrote:
I don't have a job, and won't have one for awhile. hehe

I'm going to do something with computers for sure though. Like web design.

Your job is going to school, getting decent grades, and keeping your parents on their toes! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:17 pm 

Primarily keep a CEO organized and make sure every aspect of his social and business life/calendar flows like a well-fed creek.

2.5 years?

Assistant to a President of an int'l canned food import company in NJ. He was the NICEST guy in the world, his wife was a doll and an avid animal lover (this is the job I kept baby birds in my desk drawer). He'd leave me presents under my desk for a job well done, a bottle of wine, a Bloomingdales certificate or his wife would buy me Victoria Secret satin loungers. And when he travelled overseas, he'd always bring me back a present - a pleated silk purse from Japan, a leather purse (whooops) from Hong Kong, chop sticks from China...but moreso, the group of people I worked with were the best I've ever known in my life. We split our guts laughing and had the best time of our lives. The work was interesting too. I used to help the USDA food inspector who consulted for us in the lab and research food problems (I handled customer complaints as well like some 6 year old allegedly swallowed a fishing hook in our canned tuna) We dealt mainly with the Far East and received many foreign visitors. It was a cool job, a nice workplace, great boss, awesome group of people..... My last day they gave me a surprise party don't ask how they pulled it off. They closed the company unbeknownst to me - I thought a couple girls were taking me to lunch but when I got there the restaurant was full of everyone from work, everyone and the company was closed. I was completely blown away. They invited my husband too. Got a lot of gag gifts. What fun. Now I'm depressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:42 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:

Paid representative for animal abusers on the internet? No, that is what they used to say behind my back ... :lol:

Actually, I am the CEO of two companies now. One is the leading environmental laboratory in the field of measuring Non-methane Organic Compounds and the other is a commercial real estate holding company. I also do some expert witness work for the DOJ and industry in compliance litigation.

Quote:

The commercial company about 5 years, the others for 15 years now.

Quote:

Basically just the one main job.

Quote:
This one. I have had more impact than I ever had in the lower profile jobs.

Quote:
15 years with the close second of 12 years

Quote:

No, I just get to pay for the Christmas party. I have a partner that does not believe in using company funds for such things so I buy the presents and did the party myself until a few abused the party spirit.

Quote:

I do but not because they are not co-workers for long if they cannot get along with me ... :lol: my wife, partner, and CPA think I treat the employees too well but I am happy and they are too so what could be better?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:48 am 

What type of work do you currently do?

Job 1) Captian/Firefighter/Paramedic
Job2) HerpetologyStudent/Researcher
Job3) Work a few hours a week at a local boat factory(Safety/Security)

How long have you had your present job? 8 years

How many jobs have you have in the last 10 years? 2
What was your favorite job and why? My present one...cuz of the red suspenders!!

What is the longest you've held a job for? 8 years

Does your job do goofy things like send out e-mails in June for planning the Christmas party and pass out chocolate bunnies for Easter?..No my job is serious and I'll be the first to tell my crew that when I get back from suspension

Do you get along with your co-workers? You have to in this line of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:11 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Mr. Venom wrote:
What type of work do you currently do?

Job 1) Captian/Firefighter/Paramedic
Job2) HerpetologyStudent/Researcher
Job3) Work a few hours a week at a local boat factory(Safety/Security)

How long have you had your present job? 8 years

How many jobs have you have in the last 10 years? 2
What was your favorite job and why? My present one...cuz of the red suspenders!!

What is the longest you've held a job for? 8 years

Does your job do goofy things like send out e-mails in June for planning the Christmas party and pass out chocolate bunnies for Easter?..No my job is serious and I'll be the first to tell my crew that when I get back from suspension

Do you get along with your co-workers? You have to in this line of work.

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about the suspension ... you should have stayed more calm in that meeting maybe? Or maybe not a calm ... :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:59 am 

Are the red suspenders holding you up during suspension? :lol:

Ok ok.. sorry bad joke.

Sorry to hear about the suspension. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:06 am 

Quote:

I'm in sales, and have been selling for the same company for 24 years. I sell electrical supplies to businesses.

Quote:

See above

Quote:

See above. Before this job I worked at and managed an apple orchard in Arkansas. Prior to that I raised hogs and cattle, and worked in my parents locker plant while in high school and for a short time after.

Quote:

I'd say my present job is my favorite. I'm an independent rep so basically I work for myself. At the start I did some management work and trained new salespeople. This gave me a chance to travel, and I ended up training new people in 26 different states. I was able to see the parts of states that you just don't see while taking a vacation. I set my own hours, which means after 24 years if I want to take a day off here or there, there's no one around to tell me not to. Which is great during hunting season.

Quote:

24 years and still going.

Quote:

These two kind of go together. Since I'm an independent rep I don't have the stuff that many people with normal jobs have. My co workers are all in different states and I see one of them maybe once or twice a year at best. So when you're in sales you're kind of out there by yourself. There's times I've wondered what it's like to work with other people and have some of the friendships that go along with jobs like that. When you're in sales you get to go in a guys office where the sign says "we shoot every third salesman, and the second one just left." :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 am 

Origam wrote:
Are the red suspenders holding you up during suspension? :lol:

Ok ok.. sorry bad joke.

Sorry to hear about the suspension. :(

Hell I'm not...it's practically a paid vacation!!! Not to mention the look on the Mayors face was priceless!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:56 am 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Hell I'm not...it's practically a paid vacation!!! Not to mention the look on the Mayors face was priceless!!!!

Woo-hoo! As long as they don't make you use your vacation time that rocks. :D

Poor mayor. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:24 am 

Type of work? Maintenance technician for a rapidly growing oil company. We have a 20, 14, 11, and 5 story building to take care of and a few condos in the Tower along with a couple of leased floors in other buildings.
How long? I've been here for 2 1/2 years now.
How many jobs in last ten years? 3, although 2 were at the same time, plus a couple of side businesses. And that's in the last 7 1/2 years since I didn't start working til I was 15.
Favorite? This one. The company takes great care of us, and the people I work for a great.
Longest job? 5 years.
Goofy things? Not really. They do a lot of nice things for us, but nothing I would consider goofy.
Get along with co-workers? Yes. I've made some good friends up here. Almost everyone that works here is real nice, and the ones that aren't I do my best to get along with anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:54 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Quote:

Maintenance mechanic/Electrician at a powder drying plant.
1 year
Toss up. Dairy farmer or dairy equipment installer
6 years
No but we do get a daily rundown of birthdays and work anniversaries.
I have a partner with me on 3rd shift and we get along great.
The production crews are fairly decent but some of them are complete idiots.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow