EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:01 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

As of tomorrow CO is joining the ranks of the handful of other states that have smoking bans for restaurants and bars.

Now, I can understand the arguments about secondhand smoke and people not wanting to breathe it. Cool.. totally understandable. But shouldn't it be up to the restaurant/bar owners if they allow smoking in their establishment? If people don't like the smoke they can go somewhere else.. or if they want to smoke they can go somewhere else.

I wonder how much of an impact this if going to have on the income of bar/restaurant owners and how it will effect the people on their staff. A few bars closed their doors, better to close down than lose money I guess?

I also wonder if CO plans on being more vigilant than CA was. When CA passed the no smoking ban in bars (the restaurants have pretty much been smokefree for as long as I can remember) people continued to smoke in the bars. A few bar owners got fined for it, but not much was done to really crack down on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:56 am 

We're doing that same thing over here. If a restaurant wants to allow smokers,then noone under the age of 21. Also no smoking on any city or county owned property. And they passed a law lasy year banning smoking on any hospital grounds in the state,including in your vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 am 

Geez. At the rate these bans are going eventually it'll be illegal for people to smoke in their own homes. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 am 

I forgot about the new law where it's illegal to smoke in a vehicle with a child under the age of 7. And no smoking in any of the city parks,including baseball,soccer complexes,or on any walking trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:13 am 

All these laws being passed in regards to where someone can and cannot smoke almost makes me want to take up smoking just to irritate people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:25 am 

Origam wrote:
But shouldn't it be up to the restaurant/bar owners if they allow smoking in their establishment? If people don't like the smoke they can go somewhere else.. or if they want to smoke they can go somewhere else.

EXACTLY.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:44 am 

Archer wrote:
EXACTLY.

I should run for President.. my platform could be free the smokers and cheaper gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 pm 

You'd have my vote!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:31 pm 

The city of Omaha Ne. just passed a smoking ban. Some places stop now and smoe get a grace period to work things out. But in time smoking would be banned in all public places.

Before this vote there was a group with a petition to try and ban smoking. One of the local guys on the radio called a city councilman and said he wanted to start a petition to ban peanuts in public places. Only grocery stores could sell them for home use. The councilman said he was crazy. But the radio guy said he could come up with a lot more medical facts that peanuts were dangerous, then facts on second hand smoke. He had a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:15 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
You'd have my vote!!

Woo-hoo! One down and millions to go. :D Shouldn't be that hard to do.. I could either win them over with my charm or ramble on and on and make them vote for me just to get me to be quiet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:17 pm 

Hey I just thought of something.. does the ban mean the police will actually have something to do other than being jerks and harassing people for no reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Smoking sux. I like how they are banning it from those places. I will not step foot into any building/home where smoking is allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:25 pm 

They knew it caused cancer in 1964 or before, yet increased nicotine levels in cigarettes in the 1970s to hook people worse. It is harder than heroin or booze to get off of, and none of the ban places make quitting cheaper like they morally should.
I was lucky on my 9th time quitting, I had a VA program including wellbutrin done right, group therapy and techniques of hypnotherapy, nicotine patches, and nicotine gum for the step downs. It took 6 weeks and would have cost me an easy $350 (about $200 more than staying smoking would have cost). All that tax money going to the politicos and none going to making it cheaper to quit by making nicoderm and nicorette cheaper, or sponsoring wellbutrin and clinics to stop. (Kind of like when Ted Kennedy and LBJ put our Social Security Accounts into the General Fund in 1964). Rip off.
2 years 3 months on the 4th for me, and I'm very glad I don't have to worry about the PC laws against it, or the big C as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:28 pm 

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
2 years 3 months on the 4th for me, and I'm very glad I don't have to worry about the PC laws against it, or the big C as much.

Congrats!