EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:01 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Going to see fireworks? Family day? Picnics?

I'm going to spend the afternoon with a few friends picnicing at Garden of the Gods. That evening if we can find out where the fireworks are going off the kids and I will head out and watch them. Probably stop and get ice cream somewhere and the kids will talk me into letting them have a soda. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:10 pm 

I hate fireworks. I hate them! Especially the ones that only make noise. Why the hell waste good money on making noise when you have a cupboard full of pots & pans? Seen one firework show you seen 'em all. I've seen plenty and I hate them. I dread the noisy next few days. Ugh. And the poor animals! The birds, squirrels, raccoons, possums, cats, dogs, it really freaks them out. Like living in Bhagdad for a freaking week. Stupid tradition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 pm 

Grace wrote:
I hate fireworks. I hate them! Especially the ones that only make noise. Why the hell waste good money on making noise when you have a cupboard full of pots & pans? Seen one firework show you seen 'em all. I've seen plenty and I hate them. I dread the noisy next few days. Ugh. And the poor animals! The birds, squirrels, raccoons, possums, cats, dogs, it really freaks them out. Like living in Bhagdad for a freaking week. Stupid tradition.

Geez-us.. I know I'm pissy today for a reason, whats your excuse? :D

Pots and Pans are better noise than fireworks? They both scare critters!

Hrm.. I wonder how Moose and Elk will handle the fireworks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:20 pm 

Grace wrote:

When we do our display,I see no adverse reactions from the animals. Stupid tradition that countless men and women have died for,so that we can celebrate it. Take your meds and lock yourself in the house for the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:23 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

In our first house here in the area I set off fireworks with the neighbor and shot my flintlock muzzle-loader for the kids (no ball just powder and patch) which was a blast. one year we set the neighbors pine tree on fire and put it out with super soakers. The second place frowned on such actions so we went back to the old neighborhood and set off fireworks. One of the small ones went a bit off course and hit me in the collarbone just before it exploded under my shirt. Ruined one of my favorite shirts and had a couple of burns that were green with gunpowder residue for a couple of days. This new neighborhood is even more strict but I am threatening to go to the gun show this weekend and buy a cannon to set off for the fourth. This HOA has really started to tick me off and I tend to get a bit nasty after a while. I threatened to buy a M2 Heavy machine gun that had been modified to semiautomatic and was mounted on an anti-aircraft pintle mount. I wanted to put it in the front yard as one of my 3 allowed yard ornaments but my wife and sons did not think it was such a good idea. If it is there this year it will be a toss up as to which comes home with me ... :twisted:

There is a guy in the really upscale area of the next town over who lived in his house before all of the northern yuppies moved in and he has a big cannon that he shoots for the celebrations. I was driving by one night when he set that sucker off ... I nearly wrecked too. The force of the charge rocked the car and the flash was way too bright. I went back to see what it was and spoke with him for a while. He even had a non-working outhouse for looks. :lol:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Were going to some carnival like we do every year and probably see some fire works. Nothing that speacial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:54 am 

Any plans were dashed by the fire and fireworks ban. Then yesterday afternoon 4" off rain and 6" of small hail (melted quickly for 10" in less than 2 hours) caused a lot of erosional damage to the driveways and roads. An amateur roadgrader operator had wiped out two critical crossdrains, which filled my driveway culvert with granite gravel, and made the street a river. I'll be on the loader/backhoe tractor today and probably on Independence Day, too. A reminder that Freedom isn't free, and Independence takes work, and more work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:56 am 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Grace wrote:

When we do our display,I see no adverse reactions from the animals. Stupid tradition that countless men and women have died for,so that we can celebrate it. Take your meds and lock yourself in the house for the week.

See no adverse reactions to the few animals? It's a known fact many animals are scared out of their minds during this time. Maybe you should take a poll and get back to me since you seem to be clueless. Or maybe your animals are deaf. Last night some idiot set off an M80 in the neighborhood. What a lovely sound that was! Hope their eardrums are still ringing. IDIOTS. July 5th we'll read about all the fingers and hands blown off. MORE IDIOTS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:09 am 

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

why not put up hospital zone signs all over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:13 am 

i've heard people comment on things they dont like.....and they say things like:

"i dont really care for that, i think i'll be doing something else"

boy those people must be clueless huh. i mean with all the injustice in the world creating shit like "noises"...yikes....how horrific. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 am 

wijim wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

why not put up hospital zone signs all over?

CHICAGO - Backyard use of fireworks and related injuries are increasing nationwide, according to industry and government data, and researchers say thousands of children each year are among the victims. From 1990 to 2003, roughly 85,800 U.S. children under age 19 were treated in emergency rooms for burns and other injuries from firecrackers, bottle rockets and even sparklers, according to a study prepared for release Monday in July's issue of the journal Pediatrics. Most injuries occurred around the Fourth of July.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060703/ap_ ... s_injuries

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 am 

wijim wrote:
i've heard people comment on things they dont like.....and they say things like:

boy those people must be clueless huh. i mean with all the injustice in the world creating shit like "noises"...yikes....how horrific. :roll:

Llike those of you who hate feral cats and don't chose to ignore them? Hard to ignore firecrackers too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:45 am 

Grace wrote:
wijim wrote:

Llike those of you who hate feral cats and don't chose to ignore them? Hard to ignore firecrackers too.
just take a trip to france and bury your head in the sand over the 4th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 am 

Grace wrote:
Mr. Venom wrote:
Grace wrote:

See no adverse reactions to the few animals? It's a known fact many animals are scared out of their minds during this time. Maybe you should take a poll and get back to me since you seem to be clueless. Or maybe your animals are deaf. Last night some idiot set off an M80 in the neighborhood. What a lovely sound that was! Hope their eardrums are still ringing. IDIOTS. July 5th we'll read about all the fingers and hands blown off. MORE IDIOTS.

I don't deal in m-80's..I help shoot and organize a $50,000 display.Please post some data to back up your claims. Our shooting area is around 1 mile from a large farm,I'll be sure to have someone watch the cattles' reaction during our shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:34 am 

We're working cattle in the morning, and then we are having a fish fry that afternoon. No fireworks here. Sometimes we do them, but there's a ban here since it's so dry.