EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Personal Web Site
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Well I have to thank sammyd for this one. After looking at his link for sammyds world I decided it was time to update my website. Now if I can keep it up and not let things slide by again. Seems there's always some reason to put things off.

If you check out the link there are more pages if you click the menu button.

http://www.geocities.com/deersonfarm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:57 am 

Didn't click the menu button yet. :D It's a nice site.. I especially like the critter pictures! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:02 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Very good site. Have you talked with your daughters about their being adopted? We have seen pictures of you and they have to have been adopted to be that cute looking ... :lol: :lol:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:27 pm 

Beautiful family (human & creatures) you have there. Those calves do look like they're worrying about the banding coming up and certainly will be pining for what could have been. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Have you talked with your daughters about their being adopted? We have seen pictures of you and they have to have been adopted to be that cute looking ... :lol: :lol:

They always tell me they get their looks from their mother, and their large feet from me. :lol:

I then tell them that's because their father wanted to make sure they had a good stable start in life, and there's nothing like big feet to keep a person stable in a high wind.

But now that you've mentioned it, I may have to take another look at the UPS guy next time he drops off a package. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Beautiful family (human & creatures) you have there.

Thanks, hope I don't find out later my picture is in the center of your dart board.

Quote:
Those calves do look like they're worrying about the banding coming up and certainly will be pining for what could have been. :lol:

The one that needed banding, was banded over a week ago. So if they haven't hit the ground yet they will be shortly.

The worried expression may be because I was joking with them and told them I'd changed their names to T-bone and Sirloin. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:12 pm 
What sort of shows do you take part in? Nice horses and in fine condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:06 pm 

Quote:

Thanks.
We have mainly done Quarter Horse shows, some open shows, and 4-H shows. The girls have shown in western and english classes.

This year the girls have had some other things going on, so we've stayed home and taken the summer off. Some of the horses went to pasture, and I think they've enjoyed the summer off too.

For me the nice part has been not getting the trailer out. Sure hate pulling a big trailer when gas is this high. My old truck has a 454, so it passes everything on the road, except a gas station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:20 pm 
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.
We have mainly done Quarter Horse shows, some open shows, and 4-H shows. The girls have shown in western and english classes.

This year the girls have had some other things going on, so we've stayed home and taken the summer off. Some of the horses went to pasture, and I think they've enjoyed the summer off too.

For me the nice part has been not getting the trailer out. Sure hate pulling a big trailer when gas is this high. My old truck has a 454, so it passes everything on the road, except a gas station.

I will do a search on the show class you do. Do you keep your horses untill they die?

It's nice to see horses in good condition. In England people chain horses to the grass verges on main roads and on common land. It's supose to be illegal yet it is a common thing. Thses horses suffer drunks pollution and all sorts of health problems. I would rather people didn't keep horses but when they do It's people like yourself who I would rather have them.

If you have any good link I can read up on the sort of shows you do please post them. I know all about the English shows though, no need for link to them.

I like wild horses. Something in the way a wild horses acts that says I am free. They just stand and let you look at them for as long as they want then bolt away. Like a spark all skitty. I could sit and watch them all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:37 pm 

The western classes the girls have done are western pleasure and horsemanship. My oldest did try some team penning, which involves herding cattle in a timed event. But that was only done a couple times. The english classes were not the jumping classes. Here they did english pleasure and english equitation. Basically these are the same as the western classes only with english tack.

We have some horses that will be with us till the end, others we will sell. I suppose the amount of attachment you have to a horse determines if you can sell it or keep it till the end. We have 5 horses on hand now, but I'd say over the past 15 years we've had close to 20 different horses. Some were babies we raised, and some were horses we bought but sold later. I guess over the years we've bought and sold horses because we were trying to move up in horse quality, which is important when showing horses. For a person that trail rides, sometimes one horse can be as good as another. But the horse show world is very competitive, and as you move up it sometimes takes a better horse.

I've seen people tie out horses in roadside ditches to graze. But that was something I couldn't bring my self to do. I have 16 acres here and half of it is in pasture, the other half we bale the grass off for hay. We usually end up with 400 or 500 bales. I also buy round bales that weigh a ton each. I usually buy 6 or 8 over a years period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:20 am 

hunter88 wrote:
We have some horses that will be with us till the end, others we will sell. I suppose the amount of attachment you have to a horse determines if you can sell it or keep it till the end.

Yeah, we've had horses over the years that were "for sale". It's funny, we still have those horses.