EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:05 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Aside from being a desk jockey, armchair quarterback, and internet kicker.. what sports do ya'll participate in?

I walk (yup it's a sport or so I've been told) and lift weights (err.. not like Arnold though). Occasionally I play baseball and football when friends get a game going in the park. Took up training for boxing with a friend.. fun stuff. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:21 am 

This morning's sport was cattle roundup. Yesteday about 6 pm I looked out and saw this herd of cattle standing by my garden. I went out quick and saw they just missed the garden. There was 16 cows and 16 calves, and I wasn't real sure where they came from. They headed out across the neighbors bean field, and just before dark I could see they still hadn't been caught.

This morning I looked out and saw them standing by a neighbors house. The people that owned them showed up so I went down and told them if we could herd them near my place we could funnel them into a round pen I use for riding. So we moved them towards my place and with a little bit of luck got them in.

Sure was a hot sweaty way to start the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:27 am 

hunter88 wrote:
This morning's sport was cattle roundup. Yesteday about 6 pm I looked out and saw this herd of cattle standing by my garden. I went out quick and saw they just missed the garden. There was 16 cows and 16 calves, and I wasn't real sure where they came from. They headed out across the neighbors bean field, and just before dark I could see they still hadn't been caught.

This morning I looked out and saw them standing by a neighbors house. The people that owned them showed up so I went down and told them if we could herd them near my place we could funnel them into a round pen I use for riding. So we moved them towards my place and with a little bit of luck got them in.

Show off! :D :lol:

So how do you get them from the round pen at your place back to where they belong.. by truck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:36 am 

Origam wrote:
hunter88 wrote:

Show off! :D :lol:

So how do you get them from the round pen at your place back to where they belong.. by truck?

I was thinking more like...So, when's the next and closest sale? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:39 am 

I played baseball in high school. I miss it, too. I've done some team roping off and on, but never competed. Should have done that in high school instead. Could have gone somewhere with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:52 am 

Archer wrote:
I was thinking more like...So, when's the next and closest sale? :D

:shock: I wonder if cows make good pets...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:52 am 

Archer wrote:
I played baseball in high school. I miss it, too. I've done some team roping off and on, but never competed. Should have done that in high school instead. Could have gone somewhere with that.

Team roping? Is that how they kept the football, baseball, soccer, field hockey, etc. teams in line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:55 am 

Quote:

The guy had a truck and stock trailer. He took some right away, and just came back and got another load. There are 6 or 7 cows left, and he should be back in a bit for them.

Quote:
I was thinking more like...So, when's the next and closest sale? :lol:

Yeah when they headed across the bean field last night I told my daughter that was a big mistake. There were storms clouds coming up. Just open the barn door, run them in, rain to wash out the tracks, and then say cows, what cows. :lol: $20,000 plus going across the field that could have been in my barn. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 am 

Ok.. this thread is making me want a cow to go along with my donkey and turkey. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:22 am 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

Team roping? Is that how they kept the football, baseball, soccer, field hockey, etc. teams in line?

No, but it was the easiest way to snag a girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:29 am 

Archer wrote:

:shock: In my circle we call that flirting.. not roping. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:50 am 

I life weights...jog,play softball,practice MMA(mixed Martial Arts) and raise kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 pm 

Last night I bought my 15 year old her first car. That's not exercise, but it does make you sweat. This will the my third time around teahing a kid to drive. Thank God it's the last, I've just about run out of hair to lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:09 pm 

hike, waterski, tube and kneeboard, x-country ski, archery, hunting, fishing,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:57 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

:shock: In my circle we call that flirting.. not roping. :D

Well, flirting doesn't work so well with me, so I have to rope them and tie them up to spend time with them.