EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:55 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

The easy way:
Open trunk, pull back fabric on side needing to be changed, unscrew screws, push clips through, take off light, change bulb, put light back on, push clips through, and screw the screws back in. Time taken, less than 20 minutes

The hard way (aka how to make friends with your neighbors):
Open trunk, pull back fabric on side needing to be changed, unscrew screws, drop screw on driveway which is a gravel rock combo, spend a few minutes looking for screw, find screw, put screws on roof of car, pull on light, figure out there is something holding light in place, get baffled by clips, stare into trunk, get a family member to stare into trunk with you, neighbor stops by to help.. get them to stare into trunk with you, find disco cd's and yoga mat you'd forgotten about, another neighbor stops by.. get them to stare into trunk as well, talk about different ways to get light off, someone mentions duct tape (it won't show up because car is silver), send someone to google how to change the light, get hammer and piece of wood, tap clips out with hammer and wood, take light off, replace bulbs, drop clip on driveway, look for clip, find clip, put light back on, push clips through, look for screws, keep looking for screws, seriously think about duct tape since you can't find screws, keep looking for screws, find screws, look for screwdriver, find screwdriver, screw the screws in, thank neighbors for being helpful and invite them in for coffee. Time taken, one hour and forty five minutes.

My boy told me my rear brake light on the drivers side was out.. and my sister and mother assured me that they knew how to fix it. Heh.. I tend to stay away from fixing anything on cars, that's what mechanics are for. I let them talk me into letting them fix it (everyone I talked to assured me it was easy.. so easy that <<I>> could do it). I spent an amusing hour and forty five minutes watching mom, my sibling, and two neighbors attempt to fix my brake light. :lol: It was better than a lot of comedy movies out now-a-days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 am 

I bet it was. I'd like to have seen that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:29 am 

Archer wrote:
I bet it was. I'd like to have seen that.

It'll be out on DVD in about three months. :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

My dad was a engineer with Porsche and Audi. Therefore by proxy I have been in the automobile arena all my life. My dad with all of his education and experience said something to me when I was twelve when i had torn the lawnmower apart trying to fix it and couldn't get it back together that has been with me and holds true to this day.

He said

"Son you just gotta be smarter than your tools is all"

its true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 pm 

Thrillbilly wrote:
"Son you just gotta be smarter than your tools is all"

its true

I like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:57 pm 

Well, it ain't the tools you have to be smarter than, it's the thing you just tore apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:08 pm 

Archer wrote:
Well, it ain't the tools you have to be smarter than, it's the thing you just tore apart.

That's true too.. for the most part. If you're not smarter than it that's what duct tape and superglue is for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 am 

XXMag wrote:
"It aint broke, it lacks tape"

:lol: I know people who think like that. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 am 

Mine start with, "Dang, I don't want to do this."

And two weeks later when I get around to finally doing it, they end with, "Huh, I wonder where these leftover parts go."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:53 am 

Most of my projects start with talking to other people about it.. and then they start having ideas for how to do said project that don't jive with my ideas and they end up doing the project for me because heaven forbid I mess it up. :roll: I don't tell them I could've done a better job in less time.. :D