EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:44 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
I guess that qualifies in the field of toxicology drug testing then? :roll:

So I suppose you're a toxicologist? :roll:

No but the man sat next to me is a cancer research scientist :roll:

And you?

Is that like, "I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express" or something? (American ad campaign in case you are unaware) I have a few friends and associates who are in oncology treatment and research. Two juvenile cancer researchers were recruited by St. Judes from Duke and when they are in town visiting they stay with us. We have had some very interesting discussions on the subject as well. So, I do understand quite a bit more than just my localized occupation .. :wink: The wife of one of my employees is the third highest person in the local CDC office and another friend just retired from the US EPA as an indoor air quality researcher and I regularly converse with both of these people on the subject of risk management.

Quote:
Quote:
Who is Dr Joe?

Dr Joe is the Chief Scientific Advisor to the Southern Animal Rights Coalition (SARC). He has a degree [BSc(Hons)] in molecular cell biology and has a PhD from the School of Medical and Surgical Sciences at The University of Nottingham.

Cool, I had a woman with PhD in molecular biology working for me once, but I had to let her go due to a problem understanding the training program. I have a man with a PhD in Chemistry doing that job now. Actually, we are supposed to have the largest per capita number of PhDs in the country in our metro area. The guy who lives next door is a molecular biologist but I do not believe he has a PhD in the field though.

Quote:
Dr Joe has attended international and national conferences including the Digestive Disease Week meetings held in Orlando (2003), New Orleans (2004) and Chicago (2005). He has also had a number of papers published in respected peer reviewed journals.

Hey, I have not only attended national and international conferences, but I have also presented papers and even chaired sessions within those conferences do I get a special badge or something? I count a dozen "author" and "speaker" badges in the display on my office wall right now.

Quote:
Dr Joe and SARC aim to bring the scientific opposition to animal based research in to the spotlight by exposing its flaws and educating the public about humane alternatives. We are also campaigning for the abolition of animal research by the implementation of these humane alternatives.

Sounds like a version of PCRM and their "spin doctoring" to me.

Quote:
http://www.sarconline.co.uk/drjoe/

You can visit his site and discuss anything on it if you want to flex your hunting intellect :lol:

But you are not interested in opinions though are you?

I see you feel hurt and under qualified.

Not in the least, but you may be experiencing projection of your own feelings.

Quote:
I would be interested to read any paper you have published on the subject. Any links?

As I have not found many papers on the subject that would be difficult. The lack of such publications is indicative of either a lack of interest in the procedure or lack of research, but in either case it does not indicate the program could or would be better because of a lack of published information either way. :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:53 pm 
Quote:
Hey, I have not only attended national and international conferences, but I have also presented papers and even chaired sessions within those conferences do I get a special badge or something? I count a dozen "author" and "speaker" badges in the display on my office wall right now.

I would be interested in reading anything you have written. I assume your username is your name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:13 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Quote:

I would be interested in reading anything you have written. I assume your username is your name?

That would be correct. The Air and Waste Management Association and Solid Waste Association of North America may have abstracts available without charge, but the whole paper usually has a charge associated.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 pm 
Wayne Stollings wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Quote:

That would be correct. The Air and Waste Management Association and Solid Waste Association of North America may have abstracts available without charge, but the whole paper usually has a charge associated.

Any links to your work or are you going to have us search for it? If we pay for the full article do you get any of the cash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:46 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Quote:

Any links to your work or are you going to have us search for it? If we pay for the full article do you get any of the cash?

Sorry, I was on my way out of the office to go home. I have checked both organizations and there are no archives on the individual papers for anything other than the current year. There are CDs for the various meetings, but they are a bit expensive and no, I do not make anything on them. In fact I not only have to pay the dues I have to pay for admission to the conference even when I am a chair for that conference. The AWMA is a little cheap in that respect.

I have found a couple of references to some Source Evaluation society meetings, a response letter from the DOT on an issue involving the shipment of flammable samples, a newsletter from my chair of the local chapter of the AWMA, and a notation on my input on proposed changes to regulatory methods, but nothing on the papers themselves. I have hard copies in bound books, which were the only perks given to the authors.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Summary of Comments on Test Methods Amendments Proposed in the .....
Wayne Stollings. Triangle Environmental Services. PO Box 13294. Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. IV-D-27 ... Waste Management. 16.0. References. ...

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/emc/promgate/com&respdoc.pdf

http://www.engconfintl.org/pastconf/3awfin.html

http://www.myregs.com/dotrspa/goto.asp? ... &shopos=no

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:36 pm 
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Wayne Stollings. Triangle Environmental Services. PO Box 13294. Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. IV-D-27 ... Waste Management. 16.0. References. ...

No science papers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:56 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

No science papers?

Not on line, they are only on CD according to the AWMA reference center. You could order a CD of the proceedings but that is a bit much.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:03 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

I found listings of the abstracts for a couple of years if that is of interest.

Stollings, W., Venezia, J. Taylor, L., et al., "Effects of QA/QC Procedure Changes on Method 25 Analysis and 50ppmC Method Detection Limit," Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 1996.

Stollings, W., Venezia, J., Taylor, L., et al., "Problems Encountered with Method 25-C/3-C MSW Landfill Projects," session co-chair Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle, North Carolina, 1997.

"A Solution for Method 25 Sampling in a High Moisture Environment Using a Dual Trap Procedure," session co-chair Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 1997.

Stollings, W., "NSPS Monitoring Options for Landfill Gas in MSW," SWANA Carolinas' Solid Waste Conference; Myrtle Beach, North Carolina, 1997.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
I guess you will have to read what I linked then go do some more research

The clue is the word SNAP. I am not interested in opinion. Come back when you are interested.

good place for you to start.

http://iccvam.niehs.nih.gov/methods/bio ... peptid.pdf

I have been looking over the SOP and frankly it would not pass muster for the SOP requirements for our current laboratory accreditation program. The accuracy of this type of analysis must be much less than that with which I am familiar as we only allow a 5% RSD for triplicate analyses and these samples are much worse than that. The requirement for acceptance in also not clearly defined as there is a manufacturer requirement of 15% or other requirement of 20% (of what is not clear %RSD, expected concentration, etc) without the criteria for which each would apply. I also note this SOP was only written within the last few months, which makes one wonder if the method were developed prior to the SOP or if the SOP is for the development of the proof procedure. It also notes that if the percentage is not met the standard mouse test is to be used, which indicates a variation that is not referenced in your statements.

In any case I can show you some SOPs which are much better written and still will provide bogus results if followed correctly ... :wink:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 am 
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Stollings, W., Venezia, J. Taylor, L., et al., "Effects of QA/QC Procedure Changes on Method 25 Analysis and 50ppmC Method Detection Limit," Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 1996.

Stollings, W., Venezia, J., Taylor, L., et al., "Problems Encountered with Method 25-C/3-C MSW Landfill Projects," session co-chair Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle, North Carolina, 1997.

"A Solution for Method 25 Sampling in a High Moisture Environment Using a Dual Trap Procedure," session co-chair Measurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 1997.

Stollings, W., "NSPS Monitoring Options for Landfill Gas in MSW," SWANA Carolinas' Solid Waste Conference; Myrtle Beach, North Carolina, 1997.

I am interested in science papers you have wrote not meatings you attended. Any science papers you have written?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:24 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I am interested in science papers you have wrote not meatings you attended. Any science papers you have written?

Those are the titles of papers along with the co-authors, the conference at which they were presented, the location of the conference, and the year of the conference.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:28 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

PS I just realized the thread was titled with a username which is not allowed. This is to keep down the attacks and while this thread was not such an attack it makes it easier to enforce if it is always enforced.

Sorry, I did not notice it sooner.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:34 am 
Wayne Stollings wrote:
PS I just realized the thread was titled with a username which is not allowed. This is to keep down the attacks and while this thread was not such an attack it makes it easier to enforce if it is always enforced.

???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:54 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

X-Black wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

???

I replaced Archer's name with "hunters" in the title today, which should ahve been done when the thread was started had it been noticed.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next