EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

hallelujah!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/ ... 8962.shtml

Conservative Republicans who pushed anti-evolution standards back into Kansas schools last year have lost control of the state Board of Education once again.

The most closely watched race was in western Kansas, where incumbent conservative Connie Morris lost her GOP primary Tuesday. The former teacher had described evolution as "an age-old fairy tale" and "a nice bedtime story" unsupported by science.

As a result of Tuesday's vote, board members and candidates who believe evolution is well-supported by evidence will have a 6-4 majority. Evolution skeptics had entered the election with a 6-4 majority.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:48 pm 

Well, heaven forbid they teach the truth. Much better that we have some theory that doesn't make sense and is full of flaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:00 pm 

Quote:
Well, heaven forbid they teach the truth

that's the problem, it's your truth and no one else's.... :wink:

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:29 pm 

denni50 wrote:
Quote:

No one else's? Where do you live? Under a rock?

It just so happens that the people who founded this country and gave you your freedoms believed the same way I do. I would say fewer poeple believe in evolution than God. No one else's truth....what a crock. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:
denni50 wrote:
Quote:

It just so happens that the people who founded this country and gave you your freedoms believed the same way I do. I would say fewer poeple believe in evolution than God. No one else's truth....what a crock. :roll:

I doubt that fewer people believe in evolution than in creationism, but the key to that is believe which is taken on faith and not proven. The proof of evolution increases daily while the "proof" of creationism has been stagnant for centuries.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 pm 

Personally I've always thought too much of a deal was made of the school/ religion thing. Why a school sports team cannot say a prayer before going on the field doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why a school has to have a winter program with no songs in it that would in any way say something about Christmas doesn't make sense to me. I will add that I live in the midwest and I'm in a town of just over 1000 people, so we're not really a religiously diverse group. Other parts of the country are different. And this comes from someone that was last in a church for someone's wedding or funeral, just not sure which one was last.

I always have to ask those that want creationism taught in public school one thing. Why would you want some teacher that probably doesn't want to teach this, to teach your child about creationism. How much justice do you really think they will do. Since most churches also have Sunday schools for the kids, why not let them learn what you want them to learn about religion there.

If you believed in evolution and nothing else, would you want a preacher teaching your kid about evolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Personally I've always thought too much of a deal was made of the school/ religion thing. Why a school sports team cannot say a prayer before going on the field doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why a school has to have a winter program with no songs in it that would in any way say something about Christmas doesn't make sense to me. I will add that I live in the midwest and I'm in a town of just over 1000 people, so we're not really a religiously diverse group. Other parts of the country are different. And this comes from someone that was last in a church for someone's wedding or funeral, just not sure which one was last.

Because we live in country where public institutions are not supposed to promote one religion over another. All are supposed to be welcomed and comfortable participating in any publicly-funded institution. You can't understand this until you are part of a religious minority group.

Quote:
I always have to ask those that want creationism taught in public school one thing. Why would you want some teacher that probably doesn't want to teach this, to teach your child about creationism. How much justice do you really think they will do. Since most churches also have Sunday schools for the kids, why not let them learn what you want them to learn about religion there.

Amen!

Quote:
If you believed in evolution and nothing else, would you want a preacher teaching your kid about evolution.

Scientists should teach evolution and other scientific theories. Theologans should preach the many different stories about how they believe the world was created. BTW, there are hundreds if not thousands of different Creation stories (check out this list as a start) and only promoting one of them, from a rather narrow Christian view, in public schools is alienating and wrong. I would love to see all public school students take comparative religion classes, where they compare and contrast many different religions' and cultures' beliefs. That's an entirely appropriate forum in which to explain what Christians believe, as well as many other religions around the world.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:54 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I doubt that fewer people believe in evolution than in creationism, but the key to that is believe which is taken on faith and not proven. The proof of evolution increases daily while the "proof" of creationism has been stagnant for centuries.

Evolution has flaws. The bible does not. Hmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:58 am 

josh knauer wrote:
Because we live in country where public institutions are not supposed to promote one religion over another. All are supposed to be welcomed and comfortable participating in any publicly-funded institution. You can't understand this until you are part of a religious minority group.

That's right. But if someone wants to say a prayer, why not? Why stop them? You don't have to say one. You don't even have to bow your head.

So you don't want religion in schools? That's fine. The home is the best place for that anyway. But why force evolution on kids when it may be against their beliefs? Is that not the same as forcing christianity on atheists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:13 am 

Archer wrote:

The bible doesn't have any flaws.. everything in it is truth and not a shred of fiction?

Most people I know tend to believe in a mix of creationism and evolution.

As for religion in schools.. if people want their child to be taught with religious beliefs, there are schools that cater to specific religions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:14 am 

Quote:

I didn't say the school would promote one religion. And I believe it says the state should not start a religion, which is suppose to be the definition of the seperation of church and state, Not leaving all types of religion out of everyday life.

Still what is wrong with a moment of slience for each person of each religion to say a prayer before a sporting event at a school. This does not slight the minority group, unless of course this minority group has no religion to follow. It seems at that point a little respect for others wishes would be in order, and it wouldn't always have to be about me me me. Maybe while others say a prayer to themselves, the non religious person could hum the theme song from Deliverance.

Why take out any school decorations, like Christmas trees because they will offend the guy that's humming over there. You're telling me a picture of a Christmas tree is going to do great harm to someone.

Quote:
hunter wrote

josh wrote
Amen!

You don't think Amen might offend someone, like the guy humming over there. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 am 

Archer wrote:

Quote:

It just so happens that the people who founded this country and gave you your freedoms believed the same way I do. I would say fewer poeple believe in evolution than God. No one else's truth....what a crock.

yeah everyone in your little cave believes it...crawl out from it and expand your horizons.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... =1&catID=2

thankfully School Boards across the country recognize it for what it really is "religious teachings" and has no place in a public educational school system...it's been called "Creationism" then "Intelligent Design" now it's
"Intelligent Evolution"..good grief make up your minds!

as long as that stuff is kept out of schools I'm cool... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:40 am 

Archer wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I guess that would depend on WHICH Bible. A Bible for one religion will more than likely contradict another written(by man) for another religion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am 
Archer wrote:
Well, heaven forbid they teach the truth. Much better that we have some theory that doesn't make sense and is full of flaws.

I agree with you Archer. Science should be taught in school and religion left out. No room for anything but science and fact in school. No point clouding children's minds with religious rubbish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:57 am 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

The bible doesn't have any flaws.. everything in it is truth and not a shred of fiction?

That is correct.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next