EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:32 pm 
Online
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2289
Location: Central Colorado
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
We are all his children. Too bad He made it so half are below 90 IQ, and breed like rabbits.


So you're saying God made a mistake. :wink:
I would like to think He created us through evolution to be smarter, stronger, better looking, with the genetic crowd intolerance, to be able to live happy, joyous and free, sustainably and understanding His Laws and giving Him Love as He gives it to us. Evolution itself has been altered by human over-compassion and over-tolerance, and the developed crowd tolerance. This stuff goes back to some false religious beliefs, and failure to replenish the Earth or know the limits God set. Humans were their own predator, and perhaps He wants Those that can live sustainably and understand His Laws to kill off the dumb over-breeders, the greedy(and polluters), and the crowd tolerant. If we don't, then humans will go extinct and God will have not had His wishes for us fulfilled. 500 nukes to the world's slums, including our own, would be a good start. (50% of nuclear winter threshold)
Allowing extinction or causing it by over-breeding and not being green, would be the biggest sin possible.

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:18 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is.


Okay, this is getting old. I WANT EVOLUTION OUT OF SCHOOLS. I DON'T WANT RELIGION IN. Got it yet?


Those who believe the Earth is flat do not want anything that disagrees with their views to be taught, as is the case with those who believe the Earth rides on the back of a giant turtle. Evolution is critical in the understanding of biology and with out it we only have a partially educated population. Of course the less a population is educated the more exposure there is to other beliefs and the natural increase in questioning of religions in general.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:01 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is.


Okay, this is getting old. I WANT EVOLUTION OUT OF SCHOOLS. I DON'T WANT RELIGION IN. Got it yet?


Those who believe the Earth is flat do not want anything that disagrees with their views to be taught, as is the case with those who believe the Earth rides on the back of a giant turtle. Evolution is critical in the understanding of biology and with out it we only have a partially educated population. Of course the less a population is educated the more exposure there is to other beliefs and the natural increase in questioning of religions in general.


I don't mind so much that they are exposed to it. I just don't like that they teach it as fact. Cause it's not.

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:02 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
hunter88 wrote:
But then God must have a sense of humor. Just look at the duck billed platypus. Clearly he looked at the left over parts in the bottom of the bag and said, "Let's see how this turns out."


:lol:

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:28 am 
Offline
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:50 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Alaska
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Too bad He made it so half are below 90 IQ, and breed like rabbits.


Well, actually, half are below 100 IQ. That's more or less the definition of IQ.

I don't know about the rabbits part. Sounds like another bible story to me.

_________________
I'm just a soul who's intentions are good,
Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

- The Animals


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:52 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Archer wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is.


Okay, this is getting old. I WANT EVOLUTION OUT OF SCHOOLS. I DON'T WANT RELIGION IN. Got it yet?


Those who believe the Earth is flat do not want anything that disagrees with their views to be taught, as is the case with those who believe the Earth rides on the back of a giant turtle. Evolution is critical in the understanding of biology and with out it we only have a partially educated population. Of course the less a population is educated the more exposure there is to other beliefs and the natural increase in questioning of religions in general.


I don't mind so much that they are exposed to it. I just don't like that they teach it as fact. Cause it's not.


Which part is not fact? The fact is creatures evolve that is already proved. The particular mechanisms are not completely known nor are the exact stages of macro-evolution. I suspect you have been given some false information on the subject.

The Newtonian Theory of Gravity was not fact either but it was taught in schools until the better theory was developed. The same thing can happen for all of the math and science as we learn more we can understand things we were not able to understand at earlier times. If we do not teach what we know there cannot be advancement, which seems to be the opposition from the Church to science over the centuries, because we have to build on the prior knowledge in order to go farther.

If you were to study the subject yourself and not take the word of those who misrepresent the actual scientific position you might draw a different conclusion. So much false propaganda has been spread on this subject it would be laughable if it were not so absolutely sad.

For example, the first statement you usually hear is that man evolved from apes, which is so blatantly false yet so ingrained in the opposition it is almost taken as a fact. It is the testament of the ignorance of that opposition and on a par with the same type of actions exhibited by the Animal Rights crowd when they rant about medical research and how humans are not supposed to eat meat or animal products.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:54 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Red wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Too bad He made it so half are below 90 IQ, and breed like rabbits.


Well, actually, half are below 100 IQ. That's more or less the definition of IQ.

I don't know about the rabbits part. Sounds like another bible story to me.


Actually, that is the definition of 'average' because IQ measurement does not deal with any particular level, but the comparison of the data for the population does.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:07 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/Top10MythsEvol.HTM

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/wrong.htm

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/whats-old.html

http://www.scienceandreason.net/evol.htm

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:18 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Archer wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is.


Okay, this is getting old. I WANT EVOLUTION OUT OF SCHOOLS. I DON'T WANT RELIGION IN. Got it yet?


Those who believe the Earth is flat do not want anything that disagrees with their views to be taught, as is the case with those who believe the Earth rides on the back of a giant turtle. Evolution is critical in the understanding of biology and with out it we only have a partially educated population. Of course the less a population is educated the more exposure there is to other beliefs and the natural increase in questioning of religions in general.


I don't mind so much that they are exposed to it. I just don't like that they teach it as fact. Cause it's not.


There is part of this that I do need to question after thinking on it. You say they teach the Theory as fact, which implies to me an incorrect teaching method and not a problem with the Theory itself. No scientific theory should ever be presented as a fact unless and until we know everything there is to know about everything. This is what is sometimes called the 'scientific purist' view and I have had some interesting discussions with Ock over the presentation of the Theory of Evolution resulting from that view. The information is factual, the explanations for why and how these changes occur is tested and supported by the many attempts by science to disprove them and failing to do so. This is a case where the Theory is as close to fact as we can get, but just like the old Theory of Gravity there is the possibility of a change being made due to later a discovery. The change will not affect the the prior facts but just the understanding of how the changes occurred and possibly why. Just as gravity did not disappear because the original Theory was found to be slightly flawed neither will the fact that evolution (the change over time by organisms) is a fact either. The only thing that is now in question by science is the exact mechanisms behind those changes. If it is the teaching of the mechanisms being factual that you oppose then you would have a good case in my opinion, but if you believe the actual changes are not factual then you would not have a case at all scientifically speaking.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:40 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:55 am 
Archer wrote:
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?


Not Adam and Eve that's for sure :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Archer wrote:
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?


I suspect you did not listen very well to the instructor, but that is only a suspicion.

As for our evolutionary path, we share a common ancestor with not only with the ape, monkey, and other primates, but every living creature on the planet with DNA.

Some links to the human and primate evolution progress.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001819.html

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0824496.html

http://www.emory.edu/LIVING_LINKS/Taxonomy.html

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?


Not Adam and Eve that's for sure :lol:


In a way, possibly. The first evolved human could have been called either Adam or Eve and their mate would be the other. That is how evolution stands without necessarily attacking the religious beliefs.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:19 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:02 pm
Posts: 2314
Quote:
Archer wrote:
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?


Archer...do you remember the textbook that was used in your science
class if the scientific theory was being taught as "fact"...would like
to research it.

I did a google on the Texas standards for textbooks and a critique on
how the science of evolution is presented...interesting commentary
here.

agree there should be a universal standard across the country on how
the scientific theory on evolution should be taught just like Einstein's
theories on the General Theory of Relativity and Special Theory of Relativity are taught in Physics class.


http://www.arn.org/docs/mills/gm_origin ... lution.htm

_________________
join the Ron Paul Revolution!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE


Last edited by denni50 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:39 am 
Wayne Stollings wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
It was taught to me in school as a fact, and I was taught that we evolved from apes.

In accordance with the theories you're familiar with, Wayne, what did we evolve from?


Not Adam and Eve that's for sure :lol:


In a way, possibly. The first evolved human could have been called either Adam or Eve and their mate would be the other. That is how evolution stands without necessarily attacking the religious beliefs.


So you believe we evolved from Adam and Eve? No you don't so look again at the question instead of playing with words Mr Strolling. Life began, evolved from?


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group