EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life in the year 2006..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:42 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Ok, I know this has made it's rounds the last few years with a different year attached to it.. but it's still funny. :D

YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2006 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that
they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if
anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the
screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the
first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you
turn around to go back and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13 Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this
message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this
list.

AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself.

I'm guilty of 3,4,5,6,8,12,14, and 15. I'd put 2 since I do play solitaire online sometimes, but I still like to play it with real cards. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:04 pm 

Origam wrote:

That applies to me sometimes, but mostly cause I'm on call. Oh, and I only went 17 years or so without one. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:19 pm 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:

That applies to me sometimes, but mostly cause I'm on call. Oh, and I only went 17 years or so without one. :D

Oh hush young'n. :D
I think I was 25 before I got my first cellphone. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm 

2006 is when the phone rings you get up and walk over to answer it. Only to find out it is your son calling on his cell phone from the front porch wondering whats for supper.

You don't want to know what I told him, or what I was saying as I walked back to my chair to sit down. I think he ate out that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:42 pm 

hunter88 wrote:
2006 is when the phone rings you get up and walk over to answer it. Only to find out it is your son calling on his cell phone from the front porch wondering whats for supper.

You don't want to know what I told him, or what I was saying as I walked back to my chair to sit down. I think he ate out that night.

:shock: I've called the house from the barn loft a couple times to find out stuff that I could've easily gone in the house to find out. :D

Back in San Diego we had two computers in the computer room less than five feet from each other and we all talked to each other online when we were five feet away. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 pm 

Quote:
I've called the house from the barn loft a couple times to find out stuff that I could've easily gone in the house to find out.

Here the kicker was I had to walk about 15 feet to answer the phone, and of course 15 feet back to my chair. He would have had to walk 10 feet at best open the door and say what's for supper and I would have heard him from where I was sitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:54 pm 

hunter88 wrote:
Here the kicker was I had to walk about 15 feet to answer the phone, and of course 15 feet back to my chair. He would have had to walk 10 feet at best open the door and say what's for supper and I would have heard him from where I was sitting.

Yeah.. but it was probably more fun to make you get up and answer the phone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:47 pm 

Quote:
Yeah.. but it was probably more fun to make you get up and answer the phone. :lol:

Of course he ended up having to pay for his supper when he thought it best to eat out. So I guess fun, like everything else, has it's price. Oh and there is the fact that every other Christmas or Thanskgiving I get to bring it up again in front of all the family. So there is the embarassment factor too when some relative will say "you did what". You know thinking about it I don't think his new girlfriend has heard this story, or a couple others I save for special occasions. Guess I better invite them out for supper. Now this is what being a parent is all about. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:01 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Of course he ended up having to pay for his supper when he thought it best to eat out. So I guess fun, like everything else, has it's price. Oh and there is the fact that every other Christmas or Thanskgiving I get to bring it up again in front of all the family. So there is the embarassment factor too when some relative will say "you did what". You know thinking about it I don't think his new girlfriend has heard this story, or a couple others I save for special occasions. Guess I better invite them out for supper. Now this is what being a parent is all about. :wink:

The 'rents are still trying to find ways to embarass me and my oldest sister. :D Kind of hard to do when your children are perfect angels though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:14 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
hunter88 wrote:

The 'rents are still trying to find ways to embarass me and my oldest sister. :D Kind of hard to do when your children are perfect angels though. :lol:

No, it is just as easy. My older son was a handful to put it lightly and the younger was never a problem, but both have been equally embarrassed over the years. It does get harder as they get older and their friends are sensitized to the effects.

My oldest was talking to his friends about a rabbit that was eating my wife's veggie garden. He came home to find my crossbow, pellet gun, and hunting slingshot on the dining room table one day. When he mentioned that aspect one of his friends said that if it were anyone else he would have been surprised to hear that.

I am more accurate with the pellet gun and crossbow, but the slingshot is less threatening if a neighbor sees it so I had options for time of day and visibility in case you were wondering. The rabbit has not eaten any more of the garden, but the voles have really been a problem of late. They are harder to see too. :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:02 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
No, it is just as easy.

Yeah? Maybe my folks need to take some lessons on how to embarass their kids then! :D

Wayne Stollings wrote:
My older son was a handful to put it lightly and the younger was never a problem, but both have been equally embarrassed over the years. It does get harder as they get older and their friends are sensitized to the effects.

:lol: I love that.. a handful to put it lightly. :D The youngest ones are always the sweet innocent never get into trouble ones. :)

Wayne Stollings wrote:
My oldest was talking to his friends about a rabbit that was eating my wife's veggie garden. He came home to find my crossbow, pellet gun, and hunting slingshot on the dining room table one day. When he mentioned that aspect one of his friends said that if it were anyone else he would have been surprised to hear that.

I am more accurate with the pellet gun and crossbow, but the slingshot is less threatening if a neighbor sees it so I had options for time of day and visibility in case you were wondering. The rabbit has not eaten any more of the garden, but the voles have really been a problem of late. They are harder to see too. :wink:

Err.. you killed Thumper?! :cry:
I hate voles.. they're fugly critters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:39 am 

Origam wrote:
The youngest ones are always the sweet innocent never get into trouble ones. :)

No they're not! They just get away with more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:48 am 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:

The only reason us youngest get away with more is because we watch the oldest and figure out how not to get caught. :D Unless of course there is a middle child.. frigging middle children have to always tattle on the youngest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:42 am 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:

The only reason us youngest get away with more is because we watch the oldest and figure out how not to get caught. :D Unless of course there is a middle child.. frigging middle children have to always tattle on the youngest!

Cause the youngest are so spoiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:48 am 

Archer wrote:
Cause the youngest are so spoiled.

Oh please. The youngest get all the hand me downs and never get to do what the oldest does because they are "too young" and so forth. The bossy bullfrog oldest also tries to make the youngest do whatever the oldest wants. Pfft.