EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:32 am 
All air ports are closed in the UK. 25 people have so far been arrested and this was to be one of the biggest murder plots by terrorist.

I will keep you up on the news as it comes in because some are still been pursued by the police.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 am 
Update. Security alert is at critical. 9 airplanes where to be blown out of the sky between UK and America with liquid bombs carried in their hand luggage in clear plastic bags!

Raids started at 2am UK time and 21 suspected terrorists have been arrested with more to come. All the main players are said to be in custody. 25 were arrested but 4 released. All British with connections in Pakistan it is said.

It is thought that some are still at large.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:30 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 1841
Location: Where the smoke is
One of the guys from B-shift was stuck for 10 hours at OHare airport in Chicago as they upgraded the Security Alert(not sure if they do the same in the UK). The authorities in the UK did a damned fine job of jumping on this threat.

_________________
We do what we must because we can,for the good of all of us....except the ones that are dead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm 
Mr. Venom wrote:
One of the guys from B-shift was stuck for 10 hours at OHare airport in Chicago as they upgraded the Security Alert(not sure if they do the same in the UK). The authorities in the UK did a damned fine job of jumping on this threat.


Yes we do have alot of experience with terrorist groups and alot came out of the IRA years. I do hope they have got it right this time. We could do without knocking public confidence after the last two mistakes.

One thing that is a worry and that is the "silence" coming out of the USA. I am sure there is many of the same groups but nothing substantive in the way of broken networks. We are fortunate in that we are a small island and well the USA is a logistic nightmare when it comes to this sort of thing.

I wonder if this is a diversion from something big that they have in the pipeline? I can't see why they are targeting airports etc. Far too secure and they risk big swoops like this.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:01 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Quote:
I wonder if this is a diversion from something big that they have in the pipeline? I can't see why they are targeting airports etc. Far too secure and they risk big swoops like this.


From what I've heard today, most of the stuff they would need can be purchased right at the airport after you've cleared security. So they may have felt the risk was not that big. This is the same thing they did back in 94 or 95, only it was over the Pacific that time.

In the US they arrested two men in Ohio. they had $11,000 on hand, airport information, including flight lists, and 12 cell phones. They admitted to buying over, I believe, 600 cell phones and turnig them over to their boss. The chips are taken out to be used to set off an explosive. They say one guy yelled as he was leaving court, "I was just doing my job".

And we're still looking for 8 Egyptians that came up missing. 11 came into the country for school and didn't show up, 8 are still out there somewhere. Oh I did see an Egyptian group says they are joining the terrorists.

Sometimes you have to wonder about security. I mean it seems odd to me that 11 guys from Egypt would come all the way to Montana State University to take a 1 month course on english.

And of course now they are telling us to keep an eye on August 22nd. That nice President of Iran said that would be a big red letter day.

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:16 pm 
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if this is a diversion from something big that they have in the pipeline? I can't see why they are targeting airports etc. Far too secure and they risk big swoops like this.


From what I've heard today, most of the stuff they would need can be purchased right at the airport after you've cleared security. So they may have felt the risk was not that big. This is the same thing they did back in 94 or 95, only it was over the Pacific that time.

In the US they arrested two men in Ohio. they had $11,000 on hand, airport information, including flight lists, and 12 cell phones. They admitted to buying over, I believe, 600 cell phones and turnig them over to their boss. The chips are taken out to be used to set off an explosive. They say one guy yelled as he was leaving court, "I was just doing my job".

And we're still looking for 8 Egyptians that came up missing. 11 came into the country for school and didn't show up, 8 are still out there somewhere. Oh I did see an Egyptian group says they are joining the terrorists.

Sometimes you have to wonder about security. I mean it seems odd to me that 11 guys from Egypt would come all the way to Montana State University to take a 1 month course on english.

And of course now they are telling us to keep an eye on August 22nd. That nice President of Iran said that would be a big red letter day.


I doubt very much you could buy the chemicals needed to make a liquid bomb from the airport. All the terrorists arrested so far, 21 of them, are all British home grown.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:37 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
X-Black wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if this is a diversion from something big that they have in the pipeline? I can't see why they are targeting airports etc. Far too secure and they risk big swoops like this.


From what I've heard today, most of the stuff they would need can be purchased right at the airport after you've cleared security. So they may have felt the risk was not that big. This is the same thing they did back in 94 or 95, only it was over the Pacific that time.

In the US they arrested two men in Ohio. they had $11,000 on hand, airport information, including flight lists, and 12 cell phones. They admitted to buying over, I believe, 600 cell phones and turnig them over to their boss. The chips are taken out to be used to set off an explosive. They say one guy yelled as he was leaving court, "I was just doing my job".

And we're still looking for 8 Egyptians that came up missing. 11 came into the country for school and didn't show up, 8 are still out there somewhere. Oh I did see an Egyptian group says they are joining the terrorists.

Sometimes you have to wonder about security. I mean it seems odd to me that 11 guys from Egypt would come all the way to Montana State University to take a 1 month course on english.

And of course now they are telling us to keep an eye on August 22nd. That nice President of Iran said that would be a big red letter day.


I doubt very much you could buy the chemicals needed to make a liquid bomb from the airport. All the terrorists arrested so far, 21 of them, are all British home grown.


This time, maybe. Usually they come from somewhere in the Middle East. Not always, but usually.

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:48 pm 
Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if this is a diversion from something big that they have in the pipeline? I can't see why they are targeting airports etc. Far too secure and they risk big swoops like this.


From what I've heard today, most of the stuff they would need can be purchased right at the airport after you've cleared security. So they may have felt the risk was not that big. This is the same thing they did back in 94 or 95, only it was over the Pacific that time.

In the US they arrested two men in Ohio. they had $11,000 on hand, airport information, including flight lists, and 12 cell phones. They admitted to buying over, I believe, 600 cell phones and turnig them over to their boss. The chips are taken out to be used to set off an explosive. They say one guy yelled as he was leaving court, "I was just doing my job".

And we're still looking for 8 Egyptians that came up missing. 11 came into the country for school and didn't show up, 8 are still out there somewhere. Oh I did see an Egyptian group says they are joining the terrorists.

Sometimes you have to wonder about security. I mean it seems odd to me that 11 guys from Egypt would come all the way to Montana State University to take a 1 month course on english.

And of course now they are telling us to keep an eye on August 22nd. That nice President of Iran said that would be a big red letter day.


I doubt very much you could buy the chemicals needed to make a liquid bomb from the airport. All the terrorists arrested so far, 21 of them, are all British home grown.


This time, maybe. Usually they come from somewhere in the Middle East. Not always, but usually.


That would explain the London bombers coming from the north of England then?

If you don't think that America is full of home grown cells planning some nasty shit then you are more naive than I thought.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:41 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
X-Black wrote:
That would explain the London bombers coming from the north of England then?

If you don't think that America is full of home grown cells planning some nasty shit then you are more naive than I thought.


Wow, you have some comprehension problems. I never said that we didn't have some home grown terrorists. I know very well that we do. We call them ARA's. :wink: They're mostly harmless though. They show how to make fire bombs and such, but that's about it.

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:51 pm 
Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
That would explain the London bombers coming from the north of England then?

If you don't think that America is full of home grown cells planning some nasty shit then you are more naive than I thought.


Wow, you have some comprehension problems. I never said that we didn't have some home grown terrorists. I know very well that we do. We call them ARA's. :wink: They're mostly harmless though. They show how to make fire bombs and such, but that's about it.


This has nothing to do with animal rights archer. This is a serious topic. I doubt very much you could stand your ground with most ARAs I know and I am not interested in wanting to prove myself to a "man" who kneels down to prey each night. You have a lot to learn about life.

Why don't you get your bow out and get off on it seems you are good at that.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:56 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Quote:
I doubt very much you could buy the chemicals needed to make a liquid bomb from the airport. All the terrorists arrested so far, 21 of them, are all British home grown.


Not all airports, but many airports around the world, international airports, have everything you need in the gift shops if they are big enough. You'll have to excuse me if I don't list everything needed, but the discussion listed some of the things needed and some are as simple as perfume. Of course you also need a watch or cell phone.

If they are all home grown, then I take it the stories that say some may be from Pakistian are wrong.


Quote:
If you don't think that America is full of home grown cells planning some nasty shit then you are more naive than I thought.


We know they're here. But for some reason it seems to start at your end. Not that we're blaming you, after all we're all in this together, aren't we?

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:15 pm 
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
I doubt very much you could buy the chemicals needed to make a liquid bomb from the airport. All the terrorists arrested so far, 21 of them, are all British home grown.


Not all airports, but many airports around the world, international airports, have everything you need in the gift shops if they are big enough. You'll have to excuse me if I don't list everything needed, but the discussion listed some of the things needed and some are as simple as perfume. Of course you also need a watch or cell phone.

If they are all home grown, then I take it the stories that say some may be from Pakistian are wrong.


Quote:
If you don't think that America is full of home grown cells planning some nasty shit then you are more naive than I thought.


We know they're here. But for some reason it seems to start at your end. Not that we're blaming you, after all we're all in this together, aren't we?


All them arrested are British and from middle class Muslim families. They have connections in Pakistan like most Pakistani families.

I am keeping an open mind until we see some hard evidence.

The chemicals needed to do this attack could not be found in the airport nor did they need a detonator. The news said it was chemicals to be smuggled onto the planes then mixed when in the air. These chemicals then became very volatile and would cause an explotion when dropped or thrown. Nothing of that kind could be sourced in an air port shop.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:05 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Quote:
I am keeping an open mind until we see some hard evidence.


About what?

Quote:
The chemicals needed to do this attack could not be found in the airport nor did they need a detonator. The news said it was chemicals to be smuggled onto the planes then mixed when in the air. These chemicals then became very volatile and would cause an explotion when dropped or thrown. Nothing of that kind could be sourced in an air port shop.


Actually they were going to use cameras to set off their bombs. Which were set in sports drink bottles with the explosive on the bottom of the bottle.

Quote:
All them arrested are British and from middle class Muslim families. They have connections in Pakistan like most Pakistani families.


And it seems some spent time in Pakistian lately for training on how to set the bombs. Plus they have also arrested some people in Pakistian for taking part. So it seems this may be a little bigger then you thought, and not all home grown.

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:18 am 
hunter88 wrote:
I am keeping an open mind until we see some hard evidence.


Quote:
About what?


About the latest arrests. The police arrested a couple of young Muslims last month, they shot one of them and they were innocent. The police also shot a Brazilian man nine times in the head, he was innocent.

Innocent until proved guilty

Quote:
The chemicals needed to do this attack could not be found in the airport nor did they need a detonator. The news said it was chemicals to be smuggled onto the planes then mixed when in the air. These chemicals then became very volatile and would cause an explosion when dropped or thrown. Nothing of that kind could be sourced in an air port shop.


Quote:
Actually they were going to use cameras to set off their bombs. Which were set in sports drink bottles with the explosive on the bottom of the bottle.


Quote:
All them arrested are British and from middle class Muslim families. They have connections in Pakistan like most Pakistani families.


Quote:
And it seems some spent time in Pakistan lately for training on how to set the bombs. Plus they have also arrested some people in Pakistan for taking part. So it seems this may be a little bigger then you thought, and not all home grown.


It's amazing how the USA media report things :roll:

They wasn't going to use a detonator, as reported by the British police, it was just a chemical mix.

The "main man" is said to be in Pakistan but is a British born Pakistani. I know many Pakistani people and ALL go to Pakistan to visit family. None have been arrested in Pakistan at the moment but the "main man" will be when found.

I fail to see how you are getting different reports. This is a British police operation and they leak what they want to and I am sure it is reported to the UK press first.

What concerns me most is the fact that some young British Muslims are turning to suicide killings.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:07 am 
Online
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20550
Location: Southeastern US
X-Black wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
I am keeping an open mind until we see some hard evidence.


Quote:
About what?


About the latest arrests. The police arrested a couple of young Muslims last month, they shot one of them and they were innocent. The police also shot a Brazilian man nine times in the head, he was innocent.


Which has no bearing on the cases in discussion as the process of arrest or apprehension is limited to split second decisions and not the presentation of evidence.

Quote:
Innocent until proved guilty


In the courts, yes.

Quote:
Quote:
The chemicals needed to do this attack could not be found in the airport nor did they need a detonator. The news said it was chemicals to be smuggled onto the planes then mixed when in the air. These chemicals then became very volatile and would cause an explosion when dropped or thrown. Nothing of that kind could be sourced in an air port shop.


Quote:
Actually they were going to use cameras to set off their bombs. Which were set in sports drink bottles with the explosive on the bottom of the bottle.


Quote:
All them arrested are British and from middle class Muslim families. They have connections in Pakistan like most Pakistani families.


Quote:
And it seems some spent time in Pakistan lately for training on how to set the bombs. Plus they have also arrested some people in Pakistan for taking part. So it seems this may be a little bigger then you thought, and not all home grown.


It's amazing how the USA media report things :roll:

They wasn't going to use a detonator, as reported by the British police, it was just a chemical mix.

The "main man" is said to be in Pakistan but is a British born Pakistani. I know many Pakistani people and ALL go to Pakistan to visit family. None have been arrested in Pakistan at the moment but the "main man" will be when found.


Odd the BBC stated there were detonators to be used. One of the passing references on the new mentioned a partial name of one component. It is something you should be able to find in the larger airports with shops. They also carried the information of the arrest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4783141.stm

It is thought that the suspects were planning to blow up several planes by using liquid explosives carried in soft-drink bottles, and detonators disguised as electronic equipment.

<snip>

Officials in Pakistan said security forces in the country had arrested two British men of Pakistani origin in connection with the alleged plot.



Quote:
I fail to see how you are getting different reports. This is a British police operation and they leak what they want to and I am sure it is reported to the UK press first.


So far the BBC has confirmed what we have heard on the news here, I do not know what the problem might be with your local news as I have no idea of their accuracy in such a situation.

Quote:
What concerns me most is the fact that some young British Muslims are turning to suicide killings.


That is a concern regardless of the nationality, IMO.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group