Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:05 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Quote:
Ribs.. *sigh* I miss ribs. :( You can have the beer and ribs, as long as I can have the tofu and diet cherry coke. :lol:

No problem, but I wouldn't buy tofu at a store where anyone knows me. A man only has so much respect coming to him in a lifetime, and he hates loosing some over tofu. So, you can grill tofu, right? I wonder if tofu will take a nice dry rub. Naw I suppose that only works on real food. :lol:

BBQ ribs with homemade rub and homemade BBQ sauce. Potatos sliced real thin with onions, bacon bits, butter, and cheese wrapped in foil and put on the grill by the ribs. Sweet corn. Homemade bread and butter pickles. And of course a beer or two.

One night with me and you'll be tossing that tofu to Archer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 pm 

Quote:
And less picky .... did I say that out loud?

Getting older is kind of like spending the evening at the bar.

After a few hours at the bar everything starts looking better.

The difference is when you wake up the next morning after being at the bar you say OMG what did I do. When you're older and wake up the next morning you say OMG what was I able to do, and will I be able to do that again tonight. Like I said when you get older you get more appreciative. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:38 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
Origam wrote:

Geez.. kick me to the curb again why don'tcha? :(

Don't worry, I'll pick you up and dust you off if Archer kicks you to the curb. Wouldn't catch me doing that. :roll:

But then, as we get older we tend to be more appreciative. :wink:

And less picky .... did I say that out loud?

Hey now.. if I didn't know better my feelings would be hurt. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:44 am 

hunter88 wrote:
No problem, but I wouldn't buy tofu at a store where anyone knows me. A man only has so much respect coming to him in a lifetime, and he hates loosing some over tofu.

I like to buy my own tofu.. most people tend to grab the first kind they see and it's usually not what I want. :D *mumbles about idiots who buy silken tofu instead of firm and can't tell the difference*

hunter88 wrote:
So, you can grill tofu, right? I wonder if tofu will take a nice dry rub. Naw I suppose that only works on real food. :lol:

Grill, broil, fry, bake, stir-fry, scramble, etc..
Dry rubs work wonders on tofu. Real food? Pfft.. I guarantee if you tried tofu the way I make it you'd be singing it's praises. :D

hunter88 wrote:
BBQ ribs with homemade rub and homemade BBQ sauce. Potatos sliced real thin with onions, bacon bits, butter, and cheese wrapped in foil and put on the grill by the ribs. Sweet corn. Homemade bread and butter pickles. And of course a beer or two.

Bread and butter pickles? I'd need a few more beers to eat bread and butter pickles.. I'd eat meat before I ate bread and butter pickles. :D

hunter88 wrote:
One night with me and you'll be tossing that tofu to Archer. :lol:

Wouldn't that be cruel and unusual punishment? Besides.. he'd probably think it was feral and shoot it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 am 

Quote:
Bread and butter pickles?

That's just what they call them, they are a sweet pickle. There's no bread or butter involved. :lol:

Just some sliced cucumbers and onions. A little vinegar, sugar, salt, and a few spices. Sit them on the counter an hour or so, and then put them in jars to store in the fridge. Three or four days later you have pickles.

Quote:
hunter88 wrote:
One night with me and you'll be tossing that tofu to Archer.

origam wrote
Wouldn't that be cruel and unusual punishment? Besides.. he'd probably think it was feral and shoot it.

I'm sure Archer can handle it. Feral tofu, now that sounds about right. Wonder if you can buy a tofu coat somewhere.

Speaking of tofu.
Quote:
:lol: *mumbles about idiots who buy silken tofu instead of firm and can't tell the difference*

I can't believe I'm about to ask the difference in tofu. Like I really care. :wink: So what's the difference between silken and firm? And I sure hope this answer is clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:07 am 

hunter88 wrote:
That's just what they call them, they are a sweet pickle. There's no bread or butter involved. :lol:

Nana eats those. I prefer good ol' dill myself. :D

hunter88 wrote:
Just some sliced cucumbers and onions. A little vinegar, sugar, salt, and a few spices. Sit them on the counter an hour or so, and then put them in jars to store in the fridge. Three or four days later you have pickles.

That sounds yummy with onions.. but pickles are supposed to be sour darnit! :)

hunter88 wrote:
I'm sure Archer can handle it.

I dunno.. tofu can be mean. It'd leave more than pawprints on his car. :D

hunter88 wrote:
Feral tofu, now that sounds about right. Wonder if you can buy a tofu coat somewhere.

A tofu coat? Eww.. have you ever smelled tofu? :D

hunter88 wrote:
Speaking of tofu.
Quote:
:lol: *mumbles about idiots who buy silken tofu instead of firm and can't tell the difference*

I can't believe I'm about to ask the difference in tofu. Like I really care. :wink: So what's the difference between silken and firm?

Mrm. Silken tofu is soft and used in things like smoothies and soups. It's easy to blend into recipes like tofu cheesecake and such. Firm tofu is more like something you'd cube and put in stirfrys or bread and bake. It's not so easy to blend.. ever get Hot and Sour soup from a chinese restaurant that puts tofu chunks in it? Those chunks are firm tofu. :D

hunter88 wrote:
And I sure hope this answer is clean.

*sigh* You guys have high hopes huh? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:27 pm 

Quote:
I prefer good ol' dill myself.

The girls like those, but I prefer the sweet, and also the pickle relish I make. My relish isn't sweet, but goes great on brats with a little bit of horseradish.

Quote:
A tofu coat? Eww.. have you ever smelled tofu? :lol:

If I'm not going to eat it, I'm sure not going to smell it.

Which brings us back to those ribs, smoked, and smothered in BBQ sauce. Stand downwind of those and you can't help it when your mouth starts watering. =P~

Quote:
*sigh* You guys have high hopes huh? :lol:

Eternal optimists. Or an inability to face reality. Not sure which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:51 pm 

Ahhhhh, ribs. Too bad they take so much room up on the smoker and cost so much for good baby back cuts. I've pretty much gone to smoking the shoulder portions. With a good rub and 10 to 12 hours of smoking they just fall off the bone and are near as good as the ribs 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:38 pm 

Yeah those baby backs can be expensive.

I've used featherbones quite a bit, but now I'm going to go with spareribs. I hate to say it, but the cheapest spareribs I have found are at Wal Mart. I won't buy my other meat there, but spareribs are only $1.98 a pound, so a decent sized rack of ribs is under $10.

I also buy my brisket there. I buy the whole brisket for $1.38 a pound. I cut off the piece they usually use for corned beef and marinade that, and then grind up the rest for hamburger. The hamburger didn't really look that lean, but from a 1 pound package I only had about 1 tablespoon of grease after frying it up. I figure $1.38 a pound isn't bad for some slow cooked brisket and hamburger.

When the weather cools a bit I want to cure and smoke a shoulder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:45 am 

I'm hoping to make very few visits to the store for beef after hunting season. I've got some good opportunities to fill the freezer this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:09 am 

I do like my venison for my summer sausage and my brats. And it makes some nice lean hamburger. And of course there are those backstraps.

Unforutnately we didn't get enough deer last year to make it through. I would have thought 5 deer would have gotten us through the year, but then we made a lot of brats and sausage. I can tell that because I use 25% pork in the sausage and 50% in the brats. I bought two 60 pound boxes of pork trim last year and I don't have a lot left.

30 days till our archery season opens. But 90 more before rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:42 am 

hunter88 wrote:
And of course there are those backstraps.

Few things in life excite me more than backstrap.

I go for elk in less than a month. Then when October is here, I'll be chasing the whitetails with my bow til the tags run out or January gets here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am 
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:

If that's what "FLOATS YOUR BOAT" women excite me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 am 

Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:

I go for elk in less than a month. Then when October is here, I'll be chasing the whitetails with my bow til the tags run out or January gets here.

Don't you go after Javalina? We have some ferals and the Russian Boars are starting to be more and more plentiful..again. I plan on getting a few of those this year. I only keep one,and donate the rest to the needy. I also got drawn for mu extra doe tag this year!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm 

X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
hunter88 wrote:

If that's what "FLOATS YOUR BOAT" women excite me.

To quote you, "Go back and read what I wrote. :roll: "

Women just happen to be one of the few things that I referred to. That's funny, though, seems most of the pictures you have posted in the past didn't involve any women. :lol: