EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

So how is everyone's gardens doing?

We lost some of the nut bearing trees and an apple tree. :( However on a better note all the other trees are thriving. The rhubarb is doing great.. we should have a good crop of it next year. The carrots are growing like crazy and the flowers we planted are all doing great and blooming. :) I'm fairly pleased with this since a lot of people told me that nothing grows in Colorado soil! Hmph!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 pm 

We don't have gardens in Texas anymore. We ran out of rain. My desk plants are doing well, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:55 pm 

Archer wrote:
We don't have gardens in Texas anymore. We ran out of rain.

I'll ship you some.. it's been raining a lot here!

Archer wrote:
My desk plants are doing well, though.

Someone gave me a desk plant not to long ago.. I'm pretty sure it's dead, I won't know until I dig it out from underneath the mountain of paperwork. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:42 pm 

I wish you would. I bet it won't make it past the Red River, though.

Poor plant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:06 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Our peas fell victim to the lack of water and were pretty much done before we got rain again.
We dried and canned a bunch of green beans. Canned dill pickles (and made some really delicious crock dills) and summer squash. Made a bunch of strawberry and apple jelly.
The cherry trees we planted this year had a few cherries on them but the birds got them.
My sunflowers are between 8 and 12 feet high, most have really big heads and lots of seeds.
The kidney beans are ready to pull and dry.
My oats looked good and the alfalfa and clover I seeded with them came better than I hoped for considering the unscientific way I planted them.
Our winter squash crop is looking good and the pumpkins are getting pretty large.
We canned a bunch of our sweet corn and still have some ripening.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 am 

Pickles here, pickles there, pickles pickles everywhere. My cucumber plants are doing fine. Lot's of bread and butter pickles and some relish. Only tried a couple quarts of dill pickles, but they've been in the fridge long enough the girls tell me they're good, so I'll switch to those for a while.

Tomato and pepper plants went in late, but there are lots of peppers out there and if the tomatos can grow fast enough to beat an early frost we should have lots of those later on. July was dry so it took lots of water, but in the first 18 days of August it rained 14 of them. Amazing how much better rain water works then water coming from a hose.

Much of the summer has been spent building my backyard pond and patio. Patio is done, pond is dug and filled with water. I have a big backyard so I wanted a decent sized pond. Didn't want it to look like I had a 5 gallon bucket sitting back there. So my pond averages 4 to 5 feet wide, and is 15 feet long. I'm working on the waterfall now, and have to build a bridge before I bring in my fish next weekend. I need the bridge to help give me some shade for the fish, damn global warming. Still a lot of rocks to buy. One thing I never thought I'd do in my lifetime is buy rocks.

I'll try to get some pictures over the weekend and show the progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 am 

Everything except my cucumbers are doing well (they were hit by a blight of some sort). I've got 16 different types of tomatoes (mostly heirloom and all organic), lots of peppers, a couple of unidentified squash plant volunteers, beans and two different types of eggplants. My herb garden has also done really well and is leading to a lot of yummy pesto!

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:02 am 

So any of ya'll tomato growers ever grow the weird looking black tomatos?

Pesto! There's nothing better in the world than pesto sauce when it's made right. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 am 

I've grown some black tomatos, but I think they were black cause I left them on the plant too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:29 am 

Archer wrote:
I've grown some black tomatos, but I think they were black cause I left them on the plant too long.

:lol: How do you leave a tomato on the plant too long?! Geez.. tomatos grown here are eaten as soon as possible. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

:lol: How do you leave a tomato on the plant too long?! Geez.. tomatos grown here are eaten as soon as possible. :D

If the bugs got to it, I wouldn't mess with it. Now I would pick them off, but hopefully I can ward off the bugs better. I can't wait to get a garden going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 pm 

Archer wrote:
If the bugs got to it, I wouldn't mess with it. Now I would pick them off, but hopefully I can ward off the bugs better. I can't wait to get a garden going.

There's an herbal remedy for bugs.. but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
We mostly worry about furry critters getting our veggies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

There's an herbal remedy for bugs.. but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
We mostly worry about furry critters getting our veggies.

Well a lot of good that herbal remedy is doing. DE works pretty good. I don't usually have problems with the furry critters. If I do, I know how to take care of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:17 pm 

Archer wrote:
Well a lot of good that herbal remedy is doing. DE works pretty good.

That's that diatetmus earth (or whatever it is.. I'm close!) right? I use to use that stuff on the ferrets and dogs when they had fleas.

Archer wrote:
I don't usually have problems with the furry critters. If I do, I know how to take care of them.

Gunna have yourself a little rabbit/possum/squirrel/whatever critter with your tomatos? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:25 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
Well a lot of good that herbal remedy is doing. DE works pretty good.

That's that diatetmus earth (or whatever it is.. I'm close!) right? I use to use that stuff on the ferrets and dogs when they had fleas.
Close. You've got the right idea. It's good stuff and it's natural.

Quote:
Archer wrote:
I don't usually have problems with the furry critters. If I do, I know how to take care of them.

Gunna have yourself a little rabbit/possum/squirrel/whatever critter with your tomatos? :D
You bet.