EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:23 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I'm just as bad about pictures, mostly cause I don't have a digital camera. Now I've got a scanner, though, so I'm better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 pm 

Archer wrote:
I'm just as bad about pictures, mostly cause I don't have a digital camera. Now I've got a scanner, though, so I'm better.

You need to invest in a digital camera. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:53 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

The veggies

One of the flower gardens

Mo flowers

the new planter (in the back)

Up close

the other side

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 pm 

So uh.. how's the birds supposed to find the bird bath hidden in the trees? :D
In the Mo' Flowers picture.. are those elephant ears?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
So uh.. how's the birds supposed to find the bird bath hidden in the trees? :D
In the Mo' Flowers picture.. are those elephant ears?

Yes, and they are spreading rather well into other areas of the gardens. They are not supposed to over winter even here but guess what, that old global warming must have given them a hand.

It is also a well known fact the bird like to bathe in private, thus the trees are necessary for their privacy ... 8)

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:07 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Yes, and they are spreading rather well into other areas of the gardens. They are not supposed to over winter even here but guess what, that old global warming must have given them a hand.

We had elephant ears in San Diego. :) I miss 'em.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
It is also a well known fact the bird like to bathe in private, thus the trees are necessary for their privacy ... 8)

Must be a wild bird thing.. the tame birds I know like to take baths with as little privacy as possible. :D Ferd likes to take showers with people, but then again she doesn't count as a bird since she's pretty sure she's human.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:37 pm 

Quote:
Beautiful pond so far, hunter88. All you need now is a small shade tree for half of it. Aren't you worried about raccoons fishing in it?

Yeah the shade tree is not real close, but then maybe the leaves will stay out. I'm building the bridge in the middle so there will be some shade for the fish. Bridges don't drop leaves in the fall so I thought that would be better. There is a light under the waterfall that turned out pretty neat, but I don't think a picture would do it justice.

I'll put some gold fish in this weekend. My sister must have a 100 or more in her pond, so I'll get 15 or 20 of those. My daughter wanted to buy me a couple koi, but I told her we better wait a while and see how things go before we start spending money on fish. My sister had two koi about a foot long, and an otter got both of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:35 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful pond so far, hunter88. All you need now is a small shade tree for half of it. Aren't you worried about raccoons fishing in it?

Yeah the shade tree is not real close, but then maybe the leaves will stay out. I'm building the bridge in the middle so there will be some shade for the fish. Bridges don't drop leaves in the fall so I thought that would be better. There is a light under the waterfall that turned out pretty neat, but I don't think a picture would do it justice.

I'll put some gold fish in this weekend. My sister must have a 100 or more in her pond, so I'll get 15 or 20 of those. My daughter wanted to buy me a couple koi, but I told her we better wait a while and see how things go before we start spending money on fish. My sister had two koi about a foot long, and an otter got both of them.

Sounds nice and adding the light makes all the difference. Will you add some plants?

PS - Your sister otter be more careful with her koi. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 am 

Wayne beautiful landscaping and home. Really. You've nudged me (unknowingly) to take some pictures and get in the the competition for foliage/landscaping. I'll be submitting the tropical mix soon (I hope). You're in the south, correct? But not sub-tropics, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:48 am 

Quote:
Sounds nice and adding the light makes all the difference. Will you add some plants?

PS - Your sister otter be more careful with her koi.

She otter of shot it after it got her koi. :wink:

Yes I'm getting a few plants from my sister tomorrow when I get the fish. She has some that are kind of like stems that stick up, not sure what they are. She said when fall gets here she'll take apart her lillys and give me some of those to set in for winter. That way they'll take off early in the spring. I plan to buy some more next year. I don't want anything too tall because it wouldn't look right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:54 am 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

But I can't afford the camera I want in a digital. In a 35mm, it is so much cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:16 am 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

But I can't afford the camera I want in a digital. In a 35mm, it is so much cheaper.

Cheapskate. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:42 am 

All this pond talk is making me miss having a pond. A friend of mine in New Hampshire has an awesome pond with waterfalls and such.. she keeps koi in it too. We always joke that the fish have taken over her life because she spends so much time out there watching them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 am 

Origam
Quote:
We had elephant ears in San Diego. :) I miss 'em.

Oh, you wanna see elephant ears you gotta see our's which are larger than real elephant ears no lie. Wayne's are more like bloodhound ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:38 am 

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

PS - Your sister otter be more careful with her koi.

She otter of shot it after it got her koi. :wink:

Yes I'm getting a few plants from my sister tomorrow when I get the fish. She has some that are kind of like stems that stick up, not sure what they are. She said when fall gets here she'll take apart her lillys and give me some of those to set in for winter. That way they'll take off early in the spring. I plan to buy some more next year. I don't want anything too tall because it wouldn't look right.

Ok if you don't plant a shade tree (for good reasons) you should add some tall, bushy plantings around the back of the fountain's rock formation to make for a more natural setting. And some around part of the pond's rock formation, low creeping ground cover. If you already aren't planning to that is. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next