EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:31 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Quote:
By the way, Denni, what part of New York are you from?

Was born in Queens, NY....lived there until 9 yrs old..then my father
moved us to Puerto Rico where I lived for 10 years before moving
back to NYC when I was 19...all my family is still up there even though
I now live in Virginia.

when I was small we lived in Spanish Harlem, Grand Concourse,Bronx...later when I returned and met my mate we lived in Astoria, Queens.....I'm half Puerto Rican.

winters have become mild up there since I was a kid.

Is your guide originally from NYC?

tien cuidado cuando esta andando en Nueva York, ay mucho carteristas
y se pueden despegar todo su dinero y joyas...(estoy jugando).... :wink:

ps: you mention you live in Texico...I suppose your town/city has alot of
Mexicans.
ps: one last thing..don't know if you've ever eaten real Puerto Rican food..
it not like Mexican food...ask your guide she'll know what I mean...the
rice and beans, lechon asado, pasteles, alcapurrias...best food in the
world....have her take you to a real Puerto Rican Restaurant.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:21 pm 

denni50 wrote:
Is your guide originally from NYC?
Yes, she is. She lives in Manhattan.

Quote:
tien cuidado cuando esta andando en Nueva York, ay mucho carteristas
y se pueden despegar todo su dinero y joyas...(estoy jugando).... :wink:
:lol: So I hear! I figure I can survive for a few days.

Quote:
ps: you mention you live in Texico...I suppose your town/city has alot of
Mexicans.
Yeah, the whole state does. They are the majority now. I hear Spanish on a regular basis. I don't really know much of it, but I pick up on a few words here and there.

Quote:
ps: one last thing..don't know if you've ever eaten real Puerto Rican food..
it not like Mexican food...ask your guide she'll know what I mean...the
rice and beans, lechon asado, pasteles, alcapurrias...best food in the
world....have her take you to a real Puerto Rican Restaurant.

I haven't, but it sounds good. I'll have to ask her about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:07 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Let's see ...

1 I am a Great Uncle... now in more ways than one as one of my nieces just had a daughter yesterday.

2. I have a bit of a temper which I must strive to keep under control. Most people do not realize it because I rarely ever let it show. Even some of the people who work for me never realize how close they have been to seeing me explode on someone.

3. I am a bit of a work-o-holic , which my partner seems to love to exploit by finding things for me to do. He really likes it when I agree to take on one of his ideas because he knows it will get done on or under budget and more importantly it will be done right. Some of the folks at the U.S. EPA figured this out too but thankfully they have retired.

4. I love children. I talk to them in the stores and have been known to play "peep-eye" with them when stuck while their mother and my wife are clothes shopping.

5. I almost always pick up the check. My wife has been trying to break me of that habit and let others do it, but I am also a little on the stubborn side. There are a couple of close friends who have been able to thwart my efforts by telling the waiter to give them the check when we are first seated or distracting me while another gets the check. I do tip the staff better than most as well so they help me out in that respect.

6. I am a bit of a non-conformist at times, which is why I did six instead of 5 and wrote one number and used the numeral for the other ... such a "wild and crazy" guy am I .... :lol:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:01 pm 

Yup.. you're the definition of wild and crazy. :lol: :shock:

Err.. on the temper thing, doesn't seem like you have that much of a temper if you can keep it under control all the time. :D :lol: Tempers run in my family... you ain't seen temper until you've seen three teenage girls fighting over who's turn it is to use the phone. :Shock: I'm surprised we all made it to adulthood. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:13 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Yup.. you're the definition of wild and crazy. :lol: :shock:

Err.. on the temper thing, doesn't seem like you have that much of a temper if you can keep it under control all the time. :D :lol: Tempers run in my family... you ain't seen temper until you've seen three teenage girls fighting over who's turn it is to use the phone. :Shock: I'm surprised we all made it to adulthood. :lol:

No, it is a nasty temper, but I have a lot of practice at control. One of the favorite things they talked about at work is the time I had just burned my arm (~3 inch X ~1/4 inch strip) on a piece of tubing (250 degrees C or ~485 degrees F) when I got a phone call. I completed the phone call with none of the people in the lab with me able to believe how calm my voice was until I hung up the phone. Those who know me well say they can tell when I am trying to control it as my actions are a little more animated and there is a slight change of timbre in my voice. My oldest was the last to witness me losing it about ten years ago. We had just finished our new house and had ordered a couple of complete rooms of furniture along with pieces for 2-3 more rooms. I went in to discuss the delay in the delivery of the purchase. The woman not only told me she was too busy to check, but tried to ignore me when I suggested she contact the manager. I quickly made it impossible to ignore my displeasure. The salesperson with which I had dealt was not in so I "unloaded" on the rude woman with louder instructions to get the manager so I could cancel the entire order immediately. Evidently several customers overheard my remarks concerning the poor customer service, broken promises of on time delivery and my general displeasure. One salesman went to grab my arm to get my attention. When I stopped and calmly told him that his 'assault' would cause him a world of problems both physically and monetarily, he turned and left the building as well. The manager did show up in a very short time and tried to "rectify" the situation. He did get me to leave after he refunded my payment, canceled the order completely and gave me the name of the next nearest non-affiliated distributor of the lines I wanted. I called them on the company phone giving them the information to set up the order for my payment. I never set foot in the store again and made sure that everyone I knew in the area was aware of their poor service. The furniture was delivered two days later and the delivery people asked if the story concerning the order was true. The original store went out of business within a year, probably due to their level of service and not my actions, but I am sure I did not help them out in any way.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:53 pm 

Effective.. but nasty temper would've been throwing things and raising all sorts more heck. :D :lol:
Nasty temper is kicking the nurse in the head when you're in labor and she insists on you having your knees bent when it's uncomfortable. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Effective.. but nasty temper would've been throwing things and raising all sorts more heck. :D :lol:

More than effectively clearing the store of customers and some employees? Than by adding insult to injury by using their resources to transfer thousands of dollars in business to their competition? I did contact the corporate entity with specific information, as well.

Quote:
Nasty temper is kicking the nurse in the head when you're in labor and she insists on you having your knees bent when it's uncomfortable. :D

No, that is a hormonal woman. Nasty temper is decking the doctor when he leaves your wife in labor to go home and watch the game. My wife was in labor for 32 hours, partly because she reached a plateau in the dilation and the doctor on duty left after the last delivery with instruction to not disturb him short of an emergency. The nurses would not contact him to get authorization to add Petossin to her IV. As a result she had to maintain the labor for an additional 12-13 hours before the authorization was signed by the new doctor in the morning. There were no charges filed in the incident because someone had the presence of mind to mention that if an attorney got involved with such a defense they might as well be used for a civil action as well ... an action that would be in the hands of a jury and likely well covered by the media if the attorney was any good. There was an apology by the doctor involved to us AND the labor and delivery staff before we left the hospital.

That is a temper flair up but tempered with the ability to still make plans while doing so. I never said I had a blind temper, just a bad one.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:33 am 

I know how tough it is to control a bad temper. I tend to have a short fuse myself. I'd like to control it, but I haven't developed that ability yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
More than effectively clearing the store of customers and some employees? Than by adding insult to injury by using their resources to transfer thousands of dollars in business to their competition? I did contact the corporate entity with specific information, as well.

Thats not a nasty temper though..:D

Wayne Stollings wrote:
No, that is a hormonal woman.

ROFL.. probably.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Nasty temper is decking the doctor when he leaves your wife in labor to go home and watch the game. My wife was in labor for 32 hours, partly because she reached a plateau in the dilation and the doctor on duty left after the last delivery with instruction to not disturb him short of an emergency. The nurses would not contact him to get authorization to add Petossin to her IV. As a result she had to maintain the labor for an additional 12-13 hours before the authorization was signed by the new doctor in the morning. There were no charges filed in the incident because someone had the presence of mind to mention that if an attorney got involved with such a defense they might as well be used for a civil action as well ... an action that would be in the hands of a jury and likely well covered by the media if the attorney was any good. There was an apology by the doctor involved to us AND the labor and delivery staff before we left the hospital.

45 hours of labor? Your wife is a saint.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
That is a temper flair up but tempered with the ability to still make plans while doing so. I never said I had a blind temper, just a bad one.

Bad tempers are awesome... nasty tempers are fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm 

Archer wrote:
I know how tough it is to control a bad temper. I tend to have a short fuse myself. I'd like to control it, but I haven't developed that ability yet.

People tell me that counting to ten works.. I don't know, I tend to explode before I get to three. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:37 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

People tell me that counting to ten works.. I don't know, I tend to explode before I get to three. :lol:

That just pisses me off worse since I realize that I'm counting nothing, and doesn't make a lick of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:30 pm 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

That just pisses me off worse since I realize that I'm counting nothing, and doesn't make a lick of sense.

Pretend you're counting sheep that way you're not counting nothing. :D I'd suggest kicking your car.. but then someone would have to kick you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 am 

Origam wrote:
I'd suggest kicking your car.. but then someone would have to kick you.

I've done that to my last two vehicles, but not this one. I couldn't even think of doing that. I usually just throw stuff when I'm mad. It helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 am 

Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:

I've done that to my last two vehicles, but not this one. I couldn't even think of doing that. I usually just throw stuff when I'm mad. It helps.

:shock:
Can I suggest maybe taking up painting, drawing, photography, or some other nicer form of venting? :D They actually work wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:15 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
Origam wrote:

:shock:
Can I suggest maybe taking up painting, drawing, photography, or some other nicer form of venting? :D They actually work wonders.

Blowing stuff up works too (an old 40 qt cooler goes really high in the air with just a common explosive) ... :wink: Large caliber firearms with high capacity magazines and big noises they make work for me (hearing protection is not as over-rated as I thought in my youth).... Punching a wall does not as the knuckles break too easily when you hit a stud and then your wife will nag you to see a doctor, who does not believe it hurts badly enough to be a break until he takes an X-ray or two. They then replace your splint with one of their own and charge you a lot of money while telling you to come back a couple of more times to donate more to their children's college fund...lol.

Actually, a .22 even helps at times and with enough rounds downrange you can cut down trees, which is kind of cool. A couple of 50 round mags works well in that case. (there were a couple of more trees at the lab before my older son hit the bad teenage years ...lol)

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next