EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:54 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Origam wrote:
Grace wrote:
Thanks Ori. I found out it wasn't our bldg. poisoning them. The county courthouse is across the street and I have a feeling it might be them. I just don't know who to call in that regard. Usually you get some stupid rent a clerk answering the main switchboard. But I'll try "building manager". Probably will get the mayor's office.

I'll never understand what people have against pigeons. :(

I think the droppings creating a heath hazard and the damaging effect of the droppings on property has something to do with it. We ate at an outdoor seating area of a local restaurant yesterday and had to deal with two pigeons sitting on ledges near our table. They had tons of the anti-bird material covering the exposed surfaces but these tow had found chinks in the defenses. I offered to run home to get my pellet gun but the waitress declined so I resorted to throwing thing at them to persuade them to move on.

Speaking of throwing stuff, I'm glad I wasn't seated at the next table I would have had a harsh word or two to throw your way for harrassing those birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:27 pm 

Grace, fearless protector of winged rats, hear me ROAR!!!

*chuckle*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:08 pm 

SiberD wrote:

*chuckle*

Winged rats? You've been hanging with the wrong crowd.

Pigeons are dumb. They poop on people's heads. They smell."

That's what some people say about pigeons. In fact, that's what a lot of people say about these birds. But did you ever notice that pigeons come in so many colors and feather patterns? Did you ever notice their shiny, rainbow-like neck feathers or their red feet? Did you ever notice the interesting way that pigeons coo and strut?

The fact is, pigeons are special. They are special because there is such variety in the way they look. Blue Jays all look very much alike, and so do robins and cardinals. But find a flock of pigeons and you will see white ones and gray ones. You will see pigeons with blue-gray feathers and pigeons with red feathers. You will see solid-colored pigeons and speckled pigeons. Look long enough and you will be able to tell them apart, give them names, and get to know their habits.

Pigeons are special because they can fly very fast. In fact, some can fly 50 miles per hour! Pigeons also have very strong "homing instincts" that help them find their way back from far away. Pigeons make great pets, too. Many people build little houses called "coops" for pigeons in their backyards or on rooftops. They let their pet pigeons fly free because, unlike canaries or parrots, pigeons will come back home.

There is one other thing that is special about pigeons. This is the fact that bird scientists know less about city pigeons than they do about many other wild birds. It is surprising that such a common bird is such a mystery. But because they are everywhere, scientists seem to have overlooked them.

Only recently did many scientists realize how interesting pigeons are. They have many questions about them. For example, they want to know why pigeons come in so many colors. They want to know how pigeons choose their mates. These questions are important because the answers will tell us not only about pigeons but about birds in general. The answers also will help us learn more about other wildlife, about our land and skies, and about ourselves as "human animals."

http://ehrweb.aaas.org/ehr/parents/Pigeons!.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:40 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Origam wrote:
Grace wrote:
Thanks Ori. I found out it wasn't our bldg. poisoning them. The county courthouse is across the street and I have a feeling it might be them. I just don't know who to call in that regard. Usually you get some stupid rent a clerk answering the main switchboard. But I'll try "building manager". Probably will get the mayor's office.

I'll never understand what people have against pigeons. :(

I think the droppings creating a heath hazard and the damaging effect of the droppings on property has something to do with it. We ate at an outdoor seating area of a local restaurant yesterday and had to deal with two pigeons sitting on ledges near our table. They had tons of the anti-bird material covering the exposed surfaces but these tow had found chinks in the defenses. I offered to run home to get my pellet gun but the waitress declined so I resorted to throwing thing at them to persuade them to move on.

Speaking of throwing stuff, I'm glad I wasn't seated at the next table I would have had a harsh word or two to throw your way for harrassing those birds.

I would have probably given them right back to you given the situation, you could have had our seats closer to the lovely creatures. :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:47 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
SiberD wrote:

*chuckle*

Winged rats? You've been hanging with the wrong crowd.

Pigeons are dumb.

To an extent, yes since they stay where they are unwanted and thus get themselves killed.

Quote:
They poop on people's heads.

They do, and on their buildings and other property.

Quote:
They smell."

I suppose they do have such a sense, but where they congregate really has a bad odor too ....

Quote:
That's what some people say about pigeons. In fact, that's what a lot of people say about these birds.

And nothing refutes those points or any other problem? They have different colors does not offset the damages they inflict on society.

But did you ever notice that pigeons come in so many colors and feather patterns? Did you ever notice their shiny, rainbow-like neck feathers or their red feet? Did you ever notice the interesting way that pigeons coo and strut?

The fact is, pigeons are special. They are special because there is such variety in the way they look. Blue Jays all look very much alike, and so do robins and cardinals. But find a flock of pigeons and you will see white ones and gray ones. You will see pigeons with blue-gray feathers and pigeons with red feathers. You will see solid-colored pigeons and speckled pigeons. Look long enough and you will be able to tell them apart, give them names, and get to know their habits.

Pigeons are special because they can fly very fast. In fact, some can fly 50 miles per hour! Pigeons also have very strong "homing instincts" that help them find their way back from far away. Pigeons make great pets, too. Many people build little houses called "coops" for pigeons in their backyards or on rooftops. They let their pet pigeons fly free because, unlike canaries or parrots, pigeons will come back home.

There is one other thing that is special about pigeons. This is the fact that bird scientists know less about city pigeons than they do about many other wild birds. It is surprising that such a common bird is such a mystery. But because they are everywhere, scientists seem to have overlooked them.

Only recently did many scientists realize how interesting pigeons are. They have many questions about them. For example, they want to know why pigeons come in so many colors. They want to know how pigeons choose their mates. These questions are important because the answers will tell us not only about pigeons but about birds in general. The answers also will help us learn more about other wildlife, about our land and skies, and about ourselves as "human animals."

http://ehrweb.aaas.org/ehr/parents/Pigeons!.html

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:56 pm 

Pigeons are dumb. [/quote]

Wayne
Quote:
To an extent, yes since they stay where they are unwanted and thus get themselves killed.

Too bad they were born and raised generation after generation after generation where YOU congregate and probably were congregating BEFORE that blasted restaurant put their shingles on the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:01 pm 

:roll: Can't ya'll stay on topic?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:06 pm 

Origam wrote:

Err, what was the topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:08 pm 

Grace wrote:
Origam wrote:

Err, what was the topic?

Your mom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:22 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
Pigeons are dumb.

Wayne
Quote:

Too bad they were born and raised generation after generation after generation where YOU congregate and probably were congregating BEFORE that blasted restaurant put their shingles on the roof.[/quote]

Nope the hawks kept the pigeons away from that area until the mall was built and gave them better protection from such attacks.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:01 am 

Getting things back on track.... :D

1. I was a Marine Corps scout(sniper),where I excelled in rifle and handgun marksmanship,close quarters combat and hand to hand combat.

2. I used to hold high ranking belt in 3 different styles of martial arts.

3.I have a VERY nasty temper ,that in the past has turned violent.

4.I'm addicted to the Harry Potter book series.

5.I can sit for hours and watch baseball,even teams I don't like.

6. I'm a constant over acheiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:21 am 

1. I have a bad lower back because when I was 17 (graduation yr) I went to a beer party at Giant Despair (knarly stretch of road/hill in the mountains) and went to whiz, fell off a cliff and landed on my ass which crushed my coccyx bone.

2. I feel much remorse and guilt over all the red earred slider turtles I killed as a kid by keeping them in those little plastic bowls with the palm tree and not feeding them a rounded diet (mostly raw ground beef) then watched them develop soft shell from no UV lights and no vegetables and subsequently die a slow and excruciating death as their muscles pulled away from their shell. I can still see their open mouths in silent screams. I also feel guilty about the turtle who died in the bowl besides my bed while I slept. I made him a "cave" with rocks and he went under there and got wedged. I feel guilty still about the goldfish who jumped ship during the night cause I was too stupid to cover their tank. I feel guilty about all the animals I killed as a stupid ignorant child. Every last one of them. I feel guilty for letting my mother give our white cat, India, and her 2 kittens to the shelter. I was only 8 years old.

3. I love mashed potato sandwiches.

4. I fear getting old. I abhor old age. I can't picture me old and wrinkled and feeble. I am hoping a fountain of youth pill comes on the market before I cross that bridge in a wheelchair.

5. I love animals generally more than people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:23 am 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Getting things back on track.... :D

About time someone did. ;) :lol:

Mr. Venom wrote:
1. I was a Marine Corps scout(sniper),where I excelled in rifle and handgun marksmanship,close quarters combat and hand to hand combat.

2. I used to hold high ranking belt in 3 different styles of martial arts.

3.I have a VERY nasty temper ,that in the past has turned violent.

Three good reasons to not irritate Mr. V! :shock:

Mr. Venom wrote:
4.I'm addicted to the Harry Potter book series.

I love Harry!

Mr. Venom wrote:
5.I can sit for hours and watch baseball,even teams I don't like.

Even the Cubs?

Mr. Venom wrote:
6. I'm a constant over acheiver.

Yeah yeah.. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:38 am 

1. I hate sunscreen, but burn easily in the sun. Once got a second degree sunburn with third degree on the back on my legs from falling asleep at the beach.

2. I eat mustard by itself

3. I named a tree after Grace.

4. I cry at movies like Old Yeller, 8 Below, and March of the Penguins

5. I make my own pasta and pasta sauces

6. I've never been drunk enough to fall off a cliff.

7. I hate to be outdone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:17 pm 

Origam wrote:
7. I hate to be outdone.

1. I suffer from depression and PTSD
2. I have had to wash brain matter off of my boots before
3.I have an IQ of 158
4. I haven't shaved my head in over a month
5. I now have more hair than Wayne
6. I despise liars and hypocrites and expose them every chance I get.
7 I think it's senseless for peoples emotions to cloud their judgement and common sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next