EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New additions!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Have a friend at work who's dad raises milking goats. I went over to see them and maybe buy a doeling or two just to browse around on some of the wilder parts of the property. However the dad is a wily sort and had a jug of goats milk ready for the visit. I was expecting a funny taste but was surprised to find it tastes pretty much like cows milk. The wife decided on the spot to get a doe that is milking and a doeling for company. Funny how she gets to make the decisions and I get to write the check :?
Anyway, once they settled in to their new home (yes it's their home ranka) and quit trying to follow us into the house they're are pretty cool.
Never milked a goat before but the same principles apply as cows and it's a lot quicker.
Pretty happy with my goats. :D

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:28 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Goats can be fun. They can be a pain too. I thought about getting a few around here to eat off some of the unwanted vegetation. That's the best thing about those critters. They'll eat anything.

Post subject: Re: New additions!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:31 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

sammyd wrote:
The wife decided on the spot to get a doe that is milking and a doeling for company. Funny how she gets to make the decisions and I get to write the check :?

That is encoded into the female DNA I believe. It is also true of designing jobs that "we" will do on the yard or around the house. I learned a long long time ago that when "we" needed to paint, wall paper, or the like that I was going to do the work and she would pick out the materials. It is the natural way .... :lol:

We went to Home Depot last week to pick up 3 sprinkler heads to replace 2 which were not working and to have a spare. This was ~$30.00 and a quick in and out of the store if I went alone. However, she wanted to "get out of the house" and went with me. The additional trip through the indoor garden area ended with a pass through the appliances since they had an appliance sale. The new stove with the gas burners and electric oven caught her eye again, but I really do not want to get into a semi-major rewiring to add the circuit for the oven since we have a gas stove. As I pointed out the problems we wound up in front of the refrigerators, and the new french door models with the freezer drawer. One of our friends has one and she loves it except for the lack of water and ice in the door. There was a new model there with those new additions. The price tag for the trip went up quickly especially when I had to take time the following day to correct the paperwork when I picked up the unit. They do not do very well on delivery without damage with those lumber delivery trucks. The removal of the doors, moving of the old and new units, and set up took the better part of Saturday to finish and I have to move the old unit into storage tomorrow on my way to work since it is still fairly new.

Nice looking goats too. I was suggesting to a more rurally located friend yesterday that she needed to get a couple of goats too. She raises exotic chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, a snake, and a mating pair of turkey. Breakfast when she visits is interesting as the eggs are naturally colored for Easter or are at least larger than average in the case of the goose and turkey eggs.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:11 pm 

You want to see expensive trip? Take two overly obsessed with trains people into a model train shop for a couple of trees for their layout and see how much you end up spending. :D :lol:

Can't see the goats. :( Guess I'll have to wait until I'm on a better computer tomorrow! Congrats though Sammy. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:04 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Origam wrote:
You want to see expensive trip? Take two overly obsessed with trains people into a model train shop for a couple of trees for their layout and see how much you end up spending. :D :lol:

Can't see the goats. :( Guess I'll have to wait until I'm on a better computer tomorrow! Congrats though Sammy. :D

The extra $2600.00 refrigerator is expensive enough considering that is an 8600% increase ... :shock:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Origam wrote:

The extra $2600.00 refrigerator is expensive enough considering that is an 8600% increase ... :shock:

Sucker! :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:42 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Don't even get me started on trains.

I was showing the wife a cool train layout that folded up into a cabinet.
She said "You'll probably leave the damn thing open all the time anyway, you might as well run a track around the living room". So guess what's happened at our house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 am 

sammyd wrote:
Don't even get me started on trains.

I was showing the wife a cool train layout that folded up into a cabinet.
She said "You'll probably leave the damn thing open all the time anyway, you might as well run a track around the living room". So guess what's happened at our house.

You'd get along really well with my son. :D What scale trains do you run? Are you into Livesteam at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:46 am 

Yay! I got to see the goats finally. :D :lol: (yeah yeah, I'm easily amused)
Cute! Do they have names yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:14 pm 

cabrito!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:47 pm 

Archer wrote:
cabrito!

Bless you?! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:14 pm 

Quote:
The extra $2600.00 refrigerator is expensive enough considering that is an 8600% increase ...

I don't think I would have admitted to that :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:50 pm 

Sammyd if you were closer I'd give you some goats just to get rid of them. But you'd have to take some cats too.

My daughters bought goats a year or so ago, and as far as I'm concerned they are a pain. The does never shut up. Here is where I could make a comment about femlaes never shutting up, but I'll move on. :wink:

I moved the goats to the back pen as far from the house as possible so I wouldn't have to listen to them while sitting on my patio, but it wasn't far enough.

They hit the sale barn in a couple weeks if the girls don't find someone to buy them or take them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:14 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

they do make some noise but it's not overly loud. Don't need any extra cats or I'd have you UPS the goats :lol:

I run HO scale and sometimes some old Marx O27 on the kitchen floor but no live steam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:34 am 

sammyd wrote:
I run HO scale and sometimes some old Marx O27 on the kitchen floor but no live steam.

The boys here run HO and N. I haven't heard of the Marx 027, but I'm sure the boy will know what it is. They ran live steam in San Diego, they have a riding car and engine but no tracks out here so far.. they're working on that.