EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Grace wrote:
I wonder if they got it on film.

That's the rumor. I doubt it gets far, though, if it does exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
This news really shocked and saddened me. I wonder if they got it on film. BTW Wayne, the link is dead. I haven't read anything about this, just heard a blurb on the news. Freak accident is an understatement. I do wonder if he was horsing around, trying to ride the damn thing. Fly high Steve. I hope there are crocs in heaven.

I fixed the link, thanks. It was caught on tape as it seems the filming may have been a significant part of the incident. It is reported that he is shown on film removing the spike from his chest, which is a big mistake in most instances due to the probability of uncontrolled bleeding and death. I don't know if the poison or bleeding would have been a greater threat to his heart, but it seems the course of action chosen was not the better one for him.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:15 am 

terrible unfortunate tragedy(only 44 yrs old)...it just goes to prove never underestimate a wild animal that is equipped with defense mechanisms that are deadly..no matter how docile or placid the animal is considered to be.

I had no idea how deadly those stingray barbs can be and the toxins they contain.

He must have been awfully close for it to be able to jab and pierce his cavity and inject the poisons.

The animal kingdom and world has lost a passionate, inspirational animal/environmental advocate, a consummate teacher and a grieving family a husband, father and son...may his legacy carry on.

Steve Irwin you have made the world a better place for animals...you will be sorely missed.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:28 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Grace wrote:
This news really shocked and saddened me. I wonder if they got it on film. BTW Wayne, the link is dead. I haven't read anything about this, just heard a blurb on the news. Freak accident is an understatement. I do wonder if he was horsing around, trying to ride the damn thing. Fly high Steve. I hope there are crocs in heaven.

I fixed the link, thanks. It was caught on tape as it seems the filming may have been a significant part of the incident. It is reported that he is shown on film removing the spike from his chest, which is a big mistake in most instances due to the probability of uncontrolled bleeding and death. I don't know if the poison or bleeding would have been a greater threat to his heart, but it seems the course of action chosen was not the better one for him.

Where did you hear these details? (that he pulled it out of his chest). I wonder how long he lived..if he suffered. He must have suffered. That had to hurt. I wonder if sting rays die after losing their barb or do they regenerate..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:32 am 

Here's a detailed, updated article..

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:41 am 

according to this news report undersea footage maintains Irwin accidently "boxed" in the stingray and that's when it attacked.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/0 ... index.html

Quote:
Irwin was in the area to film pieces for a show called "The Ocean's Deadliest" with Philippe Cousteau, grandson of Jacques, according to Irwin's manager and friend John Stainton. But weather had prevented the crew from doing work for that program, Stainton said, so Irwin decided to do some softer features for a new children's TV show he was doing with his daughter, Bindi.

"He came over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand, and the barb came up and hit him in the chest," Stainton said.

Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told Time.com that Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," said Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger."

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:58 am 

check out this picture of large stingray.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... hoto6.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:41 am 

I bet it was incredibly painful. I was wongering about that Wayne, whether it would be better to leave it in with the poison, or take it and and bleed. Maybe one's as bad as the other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:45 am 

Archer wrote:
I bet it was incredibly painful. I was wongering about that Wayne, whether it would be better to leave it in with the poison, or take it and and bleed. Maybe one's as bad as the other?

Most likely the outcome would have been the same. Even without removing the impaled object,your still going to have a punctured heart. From everything I've read his death was almost certainly instant. I only hope that he felt no pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:09 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Grace wrote:

Where did you hear these details? (that he pulled it out of his chest). I wonder how long he lived..if he suffered. He must have suffered. That had to hurt. I wonder if sting rays die after losing their barb or do they regenerate..

It was in the AOL news reports, which are probably carried else where as well.

Steve Irwin's Death Caught on Tape
AP and Reuters
AOL Wire Services
CAIRNS, Australia (Sept. 5) -- Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV's "Crocodile Hunter."

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:13 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:

I do not know, but I do know the removal is generally bad. It is said that when Dr. King was stabbed he prevented anyone form removing the knife from his chest. It is said that if he had not done so he would have bled to death before they could have gotten him to the hospital.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 pm 

Makes sense. I'd like to think it was painless, and maybe if he was in shock it would have been, but I would imagine that it hurt pretty dang bad. Still hard to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:37 pm 

Archer wrote:
Makes sense. I'd like to think it was painless, and maybe if he was in shock it would have been, but I would imagine that it hurt pretty dang bad. Still hard to believe.

I don't believe it was painless. 'Course he was probably in shock after a couple seconds. I read several other articles where sting ray victims said the sting was incredibly painful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 pm 

I would sure think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:33 pm 

Archer wrote:
I would sure think so.

Yup.

STINGRAY STINGS
A sting from a stingray is different from that of a jellyfish or Man O’ War. Stingrays have long thin tails with serrated spines that contain venom. These spines are able to inflict deep cuts and/or puncture wounds. Stingrays aren’t normally aggressive, so most stings (and stingray stings are very common) occur when a person in the water accidentally steps on one. With their flat bodies, stingrays are almost invisible lying on the sandy bottom of the ocean.

SYMPTOMS OF A STINGRAY STING
· Immediate sharp, agonizing pain in the area of the sting. If a stingray stings you, you’ll know it immediately!
· Bleeding from the site of the wound that will last for 1-2 hours.
· In time, the wound may become swollen and the color of the skin around the wound may look red, blue, or very pale.
· In some cases, the lymph nodes of the victim may become swollen.
· Systemic symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, fever, chills, fainting, muscle cramps and tremors, a rapid heartbeat, low blood pressure, and even seizures may develop. If any of these symptoms develop at any time, even days after the sting, seek emergency medical care immediately. In some cases, stingray stings can be fatal.

http://www.stingraywoundsedulab.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next