EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

SiberD wrote:
Grace wrote:
But again SD, to support my claim about necrosis (and the 12 year old who died 6 days after the sting) from your link above:

"Very little has been written about the toxin left in wounds after a stingray injury. It is known that the stingray toxin is a protein and is very sensitive to heat. The patient should obtain very rapid symptomatic improvement with heat as the poison denatures and becomes neutralized. Some thought exists that the protein does not truly denature but that some sort of gateway effect occurs on the nerve conduction. Whatever the truth is regarding how heat works, it is a rapid, effective treatment to reduce pain almost instantaneously."

How does that support your claim? Necrosis can occur during the 24 to 48 hours that the toxin is active. The protein breaks down the surrounding tissue even though it is short lived. Apparently it can be broken down and neutralized with heat. I do believe the recommendation for neutralizing with heat is for stings to the extremities like the feet or legs. So what you gonna do, soak his heart in hot water for 30 minutes? As if that wouldn't have killed him too!

Oh crikey! The point is there's conflicting information out there. "Very little has been written" about the toxin in one article, and your article claims otherwise like the world expert or something. It's just some bloke writing stuff you know on the internet, it's not gospel coming the world's most reknown stingray sting expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:05 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
Dated yesterday:

Crewmembers say he was barely conscious in the minutes after the sting and died as his production team rushed him to his vessel, Croc One, and to a nearby island for emergency treatment.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html

It sounds like he did pull it out from this excerpt.

Quote:
"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:11 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Grace wrote:
Dated yesterday:

Crewmembers say he was barely conscious in the minutes after the sting and died as his production team rushed him to his vessel, Croc One, and to a nearby island for emergency treatment.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html

It sounds like he did pull it out from this excerpt.

Quote:
"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

Oh there was no question he pulled it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:36 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

He died relatively quickly and while doing what he loved.

All things considered, not a bad way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:42 am 

This feminist's article has another opinion of Irwin. Interesting.

Quote:
What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space. The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss. There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into, trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies. There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle. Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress. Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage, with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation, which was to strike. Easy enough to avoid, if you know what's coming. Even my cat knew that much. Those of us who live with snakes, as I do with no fewer than 12 front-fanged venomous snake species in my bit of Queensland rainforest, know that they will get out of our way if we leave them a choice. Some snakes are described as aggressive, but, if you're a snake, unprovoked aggression doesn't make sense. Snakes on a plane only want to get off. But Irwin was an entertainer, a 21st-century version of a lion-tamer, with crocodiles instead of lions.

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica, where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker. An investigation by the Australian Environmental Department resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising seeing that John Howard, the prime minister, made sure that Irwin was one of the guests invited to a "gala barbecue" for George Bush a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner, which is only fair, seeing that Irwin announced that Howard is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo-owners in their turn

And...
Quote:
It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.

More....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:44 am 

She's made a habit of gaining peoples' interest by jumping all over things she doesn't agree with. It just goes to show her lack of respect for other humans by running to the nearest newspaper and running her mouth shortly after his death. Classless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:08 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
She's made a habit of gaining peoples' interest by jumping all over things she doesn't agree with. It just goes to show her lack of respect for other humans by running to the nearest newspaper and running her mouth shortly after his death. Classless.

Gotta agree with you there. Sheesh, she couldn't even wait until after he was buried :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:28 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Grace wrote:
This feminist's article has another opinion of Irwin. Interesting.

Quote:
What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space. The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss. There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into, trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies. There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle. Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress. Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage, with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation, which was to strike. Easy enough to avoid, if you know what's coming. Even my cat knew that much. Those of us who live with snakes, as I do with no fewer than 12 front-fanged venomous snake species in my bit of Queensland rainforest, know that they will get out of our way if we leave them a choice. Some snakes are described as aggressive, but, if you're a snake, unprovoked aggression doesn't make sense. Snakes on a plane only want to get off. But Irwin was an entertainer, a 21st-century version of a lion-tamer, with crocodiles instead of lions.

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica, where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker. An investigation by the Australian Environmental Department resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising seeing that John Howard, the prime minister, made sure that Irwin was one of the guests invited to a "gala barbecue" for George Bush a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner, which is only fair, seeing that Irwin announced that Howard is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo-owners in their turn

And...
Quote:
It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.

More....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/

All true but now that he's dead, he'll be canonized by a brainless public whose only knowledge of animals is what they learn from showmen like Irwin.

In a way, that's to his credit though. Probably a lot of people have a weird kind of "respect" for wild animals because of him.

Read on another board that people are killing sting rays for revenge. How would old Stevo feel about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 pm 

I don't know what to think, but I have a strong feeling Steve was naturally animated in his real life and everything we saw on TV is exactly how he was at home. Probably wrestled his kids outta bed and to the breakfast table every morning while hollering crikey. :cry:

Post subject: God bless him . . .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:41 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I'm really hurting with his death. God rest your soul, Steve Irwin. You died too soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:58 am 
One thing to remember is that the was swimming with them in the shallows.

Post subject: Re: God bless him . . .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:28 am 

LC wrote:
I'm really hurting with his death. God rest your soul, Steve Irwin. You died too soon.

CRIKEY! Soo very good to see you here LC. Hope you stick around.

Post subject: Re: God bless him . . .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 am 

Grace wrote:
LC wrote:

CRIKEY! Soo very good to see you here LC. Hope you stick around.

I heart LC! :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 am 

Who is this LC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:47 am 

they ran a Crocodile Hunter marathon on AP over the weekend.

watched some of the episodes...you could tell he really "loved" those
huge crocs at his zoo in Australia.

a conservationist like him with the rare gift to reach out globally comes once in a lifetime....I feel so bad for his wife and kids.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next