EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new aditions ll
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:02 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Now my new addition is not a goat, but it is a new addition.

There was a rather large horse dispersal sale last weekend. We don't have many opportunities for sales like this, so of course we had to go. Along with bringing one home, we did get to watch them sell a big name stud for $280,000. Of course that's pocket change if you're talking race horses, but for quarter horses, that's not bad money.

This one is about 4 months old. The girls call him Tye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:20 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

:shock: Nice! Red roan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

not bad for n oat burner :wink:

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:28 am 

Pretty pony! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:19 am 

Actualy gray, but the light in the barn makes it look red roan. He does has some reddish hairs on his mane and forelock, but I figure that is as much sunbleach as anything.

Hopefully by tomorrow it will dry out some and we'll move him to an outside pen, and I can get some better pictures out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:28 am 

He's beautiful. Congrats. What will you do with him? When you put him with other horses do they get alone immediately? And what's that a sale sticker still on his hind leg? May I ask how much he was (ballpark?) I have no idea the price of horses (shoes yes). And that stud going for $280,000? Wowy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:07 pm 

We put him in a stall be himself, but we did bring in another horse so he'd have someone in a stall next to him. I hate to have a horse be by himself since they are a heerd animal and prefer company.

Since he'll be a show horse he'll probably spend most of his time in a pen by himself, but always have other horses in pens by him. This way they get to have company they can see and stand by, even though there is a fence between them. But at the same time they are safer and won't get kicked or hurt while playing or fighting.

The sticker on his hip is his sale number. There were 169 horses at the sale, and when you get to sorrels, red horses, and bays, dark brown horses, they can start looking alike. Everybody gets a number so there are no mixups.

We are lucky in the fact we were able to go out to the farm the week before the sale and see some of the horses. This one had some stiches in his back leg from some surgery he'd had. He had an infection so they cut it open to check it out and did X rays to make sure everything was fine. We could see the swelling was down quite a bit by sale day, but I'm sure a few folks weren't sure since they hadn't seen him and backed off because of that. We were able to pick him up for $850, and the stud fee to breed to his sire is $1000.

My daughters will show him in english classes in a couple years. By next summer they may be able to show him in some halter classes, where they just look at conformation and there is no riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:58 pm 

Took some outside pics this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:18 am 

hunter88 wrote:
We put him in a stall be himself, but we did bring in another horse so he'd have someone in a stall next to him. I hate to have a horse be by himself since they are a heerd animal and prefer company.

Since he'll be a show horse he'll probably spend most of his time in a pen by himself, but always have other horses in pens by him. This way they get to have company they can see and stand by, even though there is a fence between them. But at the same time they are safer and won't get kicked or hurt while playing or fighting.

The sticker on his hip is his sale number. There were 169 horses at the sale, and when you get to sorrels, red horses, and bays, dark brown horses, they can start looking alike. Everybody gets a number so there are no mixups.

We are lucky in the fact we were able to go out to the farm the week before the sale and see some of the horses. This one had some stiches in his back leg from some surgery he'd had. He had an infection so they cut it open to check it out and did X rays to make sure everything was fine. We could see the swelling was down quite a bit by sale day, but I'm sure a few folks weren't sure since they hadn't seen him and backed off because of that. We were able to pick him up for $850, and the stud fee to breed to his sire is $1000.

My daughters will show him in english classes in a couple years. By next summer they may be able to show him in some halter classes, where they just look at conformation and there is no riding.

Maybe get him a little goat to keep him company? Can't see pictures. I'll try another browser...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 am 

Aw now it's working. Great looking little horsey you got there. I wubble him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:11 pm 
I had a play with the pic. Nice foal!