[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Remembering Firestorm 2003..

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:21 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Three years ago (not to the day mind you.. thats later this month) Firestorn 2003 raged through San Diego. There was so much ash.. it was like the heavens had opened up and instead of rain there was ash. It was eerie as heck for a few days, people were ordered to stay home and the roads were barren.. normally at 6:30am the roads would have been jammed packed on a weekday.. not the case for a few days, there were very few cars on the road. Places were like ghost towns.. all that was missing were the tumbleweeds to blow across town! The skies were dark, the sun was blood red.. people were more somber than usual. These fires changed people lives...

The people who died were mostly trying to flee the fires, but they didn't make it. One man died trying to save his two dogs. One family.. three of them died, the father, his wife, and his son... they had been trying to drive away from the fire but the fire was so quick that it overtook them. One family lost a daughter and had another that was hospitalized with very little hope for a while.. she made it. Many people saw their homes go up in flames, it was all over the news.. some people even saw their houses go up in flame on the news! A firefighter lost his life when the fire backtracked and trapped him and a few members of the crew he was on. Injuries were sustained by many.

The bittersweet ending, the man who started the Cedar fire got six months private confinment so he could continue working and a fine (don't remember how much it was)... but the fact that so many people lost their lives, homes, friends, animals, belongings, etc. and all he got wasn't even a slap on the wrist is beyone words.

For a long time when you drove through parts of San Diego after the fires it was an ugly site with burn marks and charred plants and landscape.. but now the wounds have started to heal so to speak. The lanscape is green (or as green as it gets in San Diego), things are growing back, houses are being rebuilt. It may not look like much to those who didn't experience the fire.. but it's an awesome sight for those who lived through it. Three years makes a hell of a difference.. and time can help heal wounds.

Cedar Fire
Cause
Human
Reported
5:37 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 25, 2003
Extinguished
Dec. 5, 2003.
Deaths
14 civilians, 1 firefighter
Injuries
113 firefighters
Damage
2,232 residences, 22 commercial properties and 566 outbuildings destroyed; 53 residences and 10 outbuildings damaged; 148 vehicles destroyed.
Acreage
Firefighting cost
$32 million

Paradise Fire
Cause
Arson
Reported
1:30 a.m., Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003
Extinguished
Dec. 5, 2003.
Deaths
2 civilians
Injuries
31 firefighter
Damage
221 residences, 192 outbuildings, 2 commercial properties and 7 outbuildings destroyed; 10 residences and 5 outbuildings damaged
Acreage
Firefighting cost
$12.6 million

Otay Fire
Cause
Under investigation
Reported
1 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003
Extinguished
Oct. 29, 2003
Injuries
1 firefighter
Damage
1 residence, 5 outbuildings destroyed
Acreage
Firefighting cost
Unavailable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:44 am 

Some pictures from October 26th.. day after the Cedar fire was started. Keep in mind I lived 17 miles from the Otay fire, and roughly 40-60 miles from the Cedar and Paradise fires. These were taken in the early afternoon..

and the ash on mom's van that night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:48 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:54 am 

now that you mention it...I remember that total devastation.
how soon we forget??

did you sustain alot of damage with your house?

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 pm