[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Throw Away China Toothpaste

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

check your toothpaste if it comes from China get rid of it....in fact
get rid of everything that has CHINA on it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/chinese_toothpaste

FDA: Throw away toothpaste made in China

WASHINGTON - The government warned consumers on Friday to avoid using toothpaste made in China because it may contain a poisonous chemical used in antifreeze. Out of caution, the Food and Drug Administration said, people should throw away toothpaste with labeling that says it was made in China. The FDA is concerned that these products may contain diethylene glycol.

The agency is not aware of any poisoning from toothpaste in the United States, but it did find the antifreeze ingredient in a shipment at the U.S. border and at two retail stores: a Dollar Plus store in Miami and a Todo A Peso store in Puerto Rico.

Officials said they are primarily concerned about toothpaste sold at bargain retail outlets. The ingredient in question, called DEG, is used as a lower-cost sweetener and thickening agent. The highest concentration of the chemical found in toothpaste so far was between 3 percent and 4 percent of the product's overall weight.

"It does not belong in toothpaste even in small concentrations," said the FDA's Deborah M. Autor.

The FDA increased its scrutiny of toothpaste made in China because of reports of contamination in several countries, including Panama.

The agency is particularly concerned about chronic exposure to DEG in children and in people with kidney or liver disease.

Agency officials said they had no estimate of how many tubes of tainted toothpaste might have made it into the U.S.

"Our concern today is potentially about all toothpaste that comes in from China," Autor said. "Our estimate is that China makes up about $3.3 million of the $2 billion U.S. toothpaste market."

The agency also issued an import alert Friday for all dental products containing DEG. The alert means toothpaste from China will be stopped at the border, she said.

Companies that make brands previously found with DEG will have to prove the toothpaste is free of the chemical before it's allowed into the country. Meanwhile, all other brands of Chinese-made toothpaste will be stopped for testing, something the agency has been doing since May 23.

The import alert posted by the government says DEG has been improperly used in a variety of sedatives, syrups and cough medicines worldwide. Most recently, a cough syrup containing DEG resulted in more than 40 deaths in Panama last September.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:54 am 

Quote:-

'....get rid of everything that has CHINA on it. '

Oh dear....my best china tea service !

:o :o :o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:56 am 

nondeed fr thatt! I beeeen usn itt dna i'''m ggdd 2 go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:55 pm 

Johhny E...what'd I tell 'ya a few weeks ago...you keep talkin' about
nukin' everybody and I told you the Chinese were heads up on one
better and possibly collaborating with Mexico to get rid of us and
our pets.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=55892

Is China trying to poison Americans and their pets?
U.S. market flooded with foods unfit for humans, tainted with carcinogens, pesticides, bacteria, drugs

WASHINGTON – While Americans are still recovering from a scandal over poison pet foods imported from China, FDA inspectors report tainted food imports intended for American humans are being rejected with increasing frequency because they are filthy, are contaminated with pesticides and tainted with carcinogens, bacteria and banned drugs.

Last month, like most months, China topped the list of countries whose products were refused by the FDA – and that list includes many countries, including Mexico and Canada, who export far more food products to the U.S. than China.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:11 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Hmmm. It's beginning to appear purposeful, that's for sure! I can see putting cheap obnoxious ingredients in pet food, if it's cheap and they think they can get away with it - but this seems far beyond that. Actual poisons?

That's just plain stupid - and that, and almost nothing else - will effectively ruin their economy. If the world decides they're trying to poison everyone else, bye bye China's imports.

Geez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 am 

more on China...beware next time you buy vitamins, supplements, antiobiotics, analegesics...etc.

even the Chinese people have grave concerns about the adulterated, contaminated food/medicines/supplements in China.

http://www.miamiherald.com/103/v-print/ ... 28699.html

Growing China produces most of world's vitamins

In less than a decade, China has captured 90 percent of the U.S. market for vitamin C, driving almost everyone else out of business. Chinese pharmaceutical companies also have taken over much of the world market in the production of antibiotics, analgesics, enzymes and primary amino acids.

According to an industry group, China makes 70 percent of the world's penicillin, 50 percent of its aspirin and 35 percent of its acetaminophen (often sold under the brand name Tylenol), as well as the bulk of vitamins A, B12, C and E.

Issues of food and drug safety are rippling across China today. The former chief of the state Food and Drug Administration, Zheng Xiaoyu, was given the death sentence Tuesday for taking $832,000 in bribes to let unsafe drugs on the market. And a survey earlier this year said more than three-fifths of Chinese worry about whether the food they eat is contaminated or adulterated.

Some of that worry is now being exported to the United States, in the wake of a pet food scandal involving wheat gluten from China and instances of food and toothpaste tampering. China's vitamin producers are reaching out to reassure U.S. consumers that their vitamins are safe, but it's not clear whether that's true.

In a pharmaceutical hub two hours south of Beijing by train lies what may be the world's largest vitamin C factory. Managers there say they're constantly improving quality control to keep pace with the tenfold increase in production this decade.

''We used to only comply with domestic standards. Now we must comply with international standards,'' says Liu Lifeng, an aide to the general manager at Weisheng Pharmaceutical.

Food and drug safety inspectors drop in at the plant from time to time. But they work for the city government, which is a part owner of the parent company of Weisheng Pharmaceutical.

That kind of relationship between food and drug inspectors and China's booming agricultural and pharmaceutical industries is coming to the fore as an issue in the food safety debate. The local government in this thriving city of 2 million people would suffer if it did anything to hurt the growth of local vitamin and drug producers.

''That's a conflict of interest right there,'' said Kathryn Boor, a food safety expert at Cornell University. ``You really need a disinterested party involved in inspections.''