[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - What books do you read and what are you reading now ?

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:48 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Bump

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm 

Getting ready to start In Defense of Food.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm 

oh, my golly! Is that Michael Pollan's newest?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:17 am 

I haven't read it yet or seen any reviews. He's one of my faverite writers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:48 pm 

I just started on a book about evolution "The edge of evolution"; the author has a interesting view of some aspects of evolution; it's a good read so far.

I have another book I'm about to start 'Hot, flat and overcrowded'. It's a 'we need to go green' kinda book. This fellow seems to favor a more high-tech approuch, so I'm curious to see how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:54 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Anansi Boys, Neil Gaiman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 am 

Here's one we definately need resurected.

Last night I started on a book written by a african game warden. "The Lost Wilderness."

Very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am 

I just finished 'the Book of Negroes'. its fiction based on history from an autobiographic pov. very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm 

I am reading the..
' Bulletin of the Archaelogical Society of New Jersey 1995 '

:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm 

:o J, I'm scandalized! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 pm 

Currently reading Uncommon Wisdom by Fritjof Capra.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:35 am 

I just started a book on Aldo Leopold. Interesting person!

Now I think I shall try to read something written BY him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 am 

I have a mixed bag of book types.
I am reading any book I can find with a rodent as the main character. Of course most of such books are children's books but a few get into more adult themes such as the Mouse Guard graphic novel series. I liked the writing style of some of the authors of said books staring rodents so have read some of those authors' other books. Kate DiCamillo (who wrote The Tale of Despereaux) also wrote a few touching novels aimed at a high school audience like The Tiger Rising and Because of Winn-Dixie which both touched on issues of animal rights and child abuse. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane was also quite deep for a book about a china rabbit doll. Beverly Cleary (wrote the Ralph S. Mouse trillogy) and Margery Sharp (Bernard and Bianca AKA The Rescuers series) both also wrote dozens of other books for a school-aged audience which I enjoyed. Being that I want to turn the hundreds of book ideas in my head into childrens' and young adult books, it is no surprise I get a lot of enjoyment and writing tips reading these.

As an alternate energy systems and energy self-sufficient building designer, I have every book I can find on alternative energy technologies in my personal library or regularly borrowed from the public library. This includes books on thermodynamics in heat pumps, hydrology (the movement and effect of moisture in soil), radiant heating systems, green building materials, post and beam construction, archway and dome engineering, earthquake structural considerations, native and ancient buildings (especially those that survived earthquakes, tsunamis, areal bombing, flooding, etc)

As someone interested in starting a non-profit society that helps cooperative housing projects form to make energy-self-sufficient communities within cities and towns, I have all sorts of books on municipal affairs, non-profit organizations, franchises (hope to make a franchise scenario for these cooperatives to provide a financial backup for new coops), and on various green communities already started around the world.

I wish to display all my findings on the internet in a way that can be displayed in any language on potentially limited electronics (eg cel phones or very cheap laptops) so I am reading a wide variety books on computer languages and scripts, formats (like wiki, bboards, chat-bots, acrobat, flash, alternate operating systems, xml), and even adult education techniques.

Due to recent comments suggesting a connection between anarchy and communism, I am also starting to study some politics especially when it comes to the issues of methods and scales of government interference in economic factors and how each of those methods fairs in the current turmoil compared to recent financial troubled times (like 1977 and 1983) under different policies in different counties. One interesting DVD series (based on a book) I found that starts off with Commanding Heights, the Battle of Ideas (the only one I watched so far) which gives a nice overview of the concepts and names to start my book gathering on the topic of "green politics". I think I will need a politics section in my book on developing green communities.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:39 pm 

The Owner's Manual that came with the new zero-turn lawn mower we bought last night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next