[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Over-herd

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:01 pm 

My motivation to start this story was the movie 'When worlds collide'. In it basically, a few individuals are attempting a desperate try to reach another world, before the earth is turned into intersteller roadkill.

I change the basic premise: could the desire for a prestine world motavate mankind to take nearly any chances to reach it? And if not mankind, how about individuals willing to take the risk?

It's a crazy thing to do.

Which makes it seems all so human to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:06 pm 
Wayne just gave me a great idea.

Are tribbles edible?

Your problem with stocking the starcruiser (and the colony) is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:13 pm 

LOL!

Wayne; I first desired to use the old sci-fi standby of ionic-electric drive; it was tried in true(In scifi circles, anyway).

Lately I've been wondered about something that's been refered to as a 'mag-sail'. Robert Zubrin of mars direct fame has written at least one article about the concept.

Oh: my bad. :oops:
The distances involved are huge, but not quite in light-years. The setting is that the other solar-system is passing by our system at a range of around 7 billions miles. Long trip, but not in light-years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:18 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:30 pm 

My basic line-in the-sand tech wise, is 15 years, max. Basically, most of what goes on will involv tech we have around now, or will very shortly.

On the galloping ghost star......

Yeah, I hedged on that. I give a explaination it'd been shielded from visual sighting by a intersteller dust cloud(Which just happens to be undiscovered as well) from which it emerges a couple years before the colony efford gets under way. Of course, the gravity of said star would have effected the comets way out there for centuries.
Hey. No ones perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 pm 
That's something like 3.8 million mph? Assuming a steady speed and not allowing for acceleration and deacceleration.

We got the capability of that within 15 years?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 pm 

It'd take a step up in tech, clearly and a arguement can be made I'm picking and choosing which tech I desire to work just so.

Again, my point was; how badly do people want to get to this planet? People have a amazing ability to find ways to do things.
"It's amazing what you can do; when you got to do it.'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 pm 

And in any case, 11 weeks isn't written in stone. We could go with a small number of smaller ships, taking a longer time to get there. I don't think it'll be quite as exciting, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 pm 

So; pigs or ostriches? :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:51 pm 
Yeah, another solar system effectively passing through ours is gonna have those would-be space explorerers worried about more than launching cattle in Warp drive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:54 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next