[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Over-herd

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

But RF, the premise of 'When worlds collide' was that, indeed; the earth is toast.

If you were aware a large star was about to pass thru the comet-belt; the desire to find new real esate might go up a few notches. If you're a eccentric billionaire you might set out ala Noah and his ark, on any manner of a crazy sceme.

Indeed: that's what I find so very human in the indevoer: it's nuts. No one in authority is going to back such a venture; scientists are going to guffaw, the media, congress and the U.N are going to howl scam every inch of the way. Getting people to join onto such a undertaking is going to be all uphill, to say the least. Are there any people that crazy?

I think so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:07 am 

Opps, guess my post passed yours, Rf.

The deal with this thread; is I'm trying to put myself in the place of those in charge of this project. If you were bringing along a agriculture; how would you do it? I have my own ideas; but I like to hear from others on their view of things. 'It stirs the pot' and gets me to thinking.

Oh, anyone: Has anyone read the book 'What if the moon didn't Exist" by Neil Comins?
he does some 'what-if' stuff and one of the scenios is a star passing close to our system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 am 
I'm not familiar with that movie.

Here's a problem I suspect, within my limited knowledge.

If that other solar system is passing close enough that it's gonna toast us with tidal energies and whatnot....then our solar system is gonna toast that planet within it, also.

By the time it gets within reach of us launching, it's too late. It's tore us asunder and we've tore it asunder. Even if we get to it before that happens...say when it's a couple hundred billion out....we're just going to meet the same fate when our two systems collide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am 

Well, based on my 'guessamation' figures, tidal and thermal effect won't KO the earth; not directly, anyhow. The fictional star will be bright as heck(Proably no problems seeing it during the daylight hours, at least at closest pass) but the distances are so great it won't hardly effect anything climate wise; same for tidal effects. Jupiter would exert a greater tidal effect on the earth and hasn't pulled us out of orbit yet.

However, as if plows thru the 'comet-belt', well, bets are off. Earth could become a shooting gallery, as comets are rerouted, some inwards towards us. Most likely it'd be years before any came close enough to be a danger......at which point having some means to redirect those comets might be valuable, especially to those in possion of a rather fast space-drive(Hint, hint, hint)

As for the fictional planet, it'd face the same shooting gallery risks. But if things go as planned, they'd have at least a outside chance to defend themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 am 

Oh, there's always the chance Pluto could get rerouted.(If it's close enough. If the fictional star passes closest when Pluto's on the other side of our solar system, I don't think there's much chance for that happening.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 am 

Oh, it's not a head-on strike between the stars: They pass by each other; each's path thru the galaxy is shifted, but they're just two stellar strangers; passing in the night, as it were.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 am 

Well; let me say this: I think I'm wrong on the tides not being greater then Jupiter's. :oops:
Mind you, I don't think it'd be enough to cause wholesale changes to earth's orbit, it'll stay in orbit around the sun. But climate-swings could take place.

It depends a bit of how fragil the balance is(For the other planet) There might be changes; how great would be their effect on the planet's life? I'm guessing, of course, but earth's biosphere apparently has taken numerous shocks to the system and it's still up and running(More or less, Lol!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:43 am 

I'm still wondering whether pigs or ostriches.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:07 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:38 am 

That'd be my choice, too.

I think!

I can mentally picture people herding pigs...
But ostriches? I gotta work on that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Heard of pigs? Sure, who hasn't?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:59 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:55 am 

I've decided a mag-sail would be the best choice for a drive-system in at least the recon-mission. Solar-sail has good points, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 am 

Here's something I got to thinking about:

How many of each of the colony critters would be needed to meet the meat(Did I just type that?!) requirements of the colony?

Let me put it this way:

Goats
Rabbits
Chickens and ducks
milk from goats
eggs from chickens and ducks

Freshwater fish (Sea's on the planet are probaly too salty for most earth-types)

Here's my breakdown:
1/2 met by fish.
The other 1/2 by equall shares of the other sources.....50% divided by 5.

But; how many eggs or milk does it take to provided 10% of a person's protein needs?

If we know that, then we got some idea of the numbers of each critter that will have to be brought along.

(I got too, too much free time, I know! LOL!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next