EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne, may I ask which material do you prefer for the roof? Many people have used asbestos cement corrugated sheet in my country in the past. But this solution is not healthy. Today, most of the roofs are made of galvanized steel. I read that more environmental material is a natural tile, but it is very expensive and has a lot of weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne, may I ask which material do you prefer for the roof? Many people have used asbestos cement corrugated sheet in my country in the past. But this solution is not healthy. Today, most of the roofs are made of galvanized steel. I read that more environmental material is a natural tile, but it is very expensive and has a lot of weight.

My house has fiberglass asphalt shingles because we have a home owners association that restricts the type of roofing which can be used. My pitch was too steep for many of the other materials to be comfortably used. I had some friends who had a 1920s Tudor with slate shingles that were pretty sturdy but like the tile are heavy and when they do fail it is expensive. The building for the lab has a flatter tar/pebble roof coating that has been popular for decades for commercial applications. My son used the colored steel roofing which is machined to fit during production and then installed on site. I like it for most uses, but his roof was a little to shallow in slope which negated his warranty against leaks. We had a lot of the galvanized roofing on the farm building growing up and they lasted over a century with just repainting.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... fiberglass asphalt shingles ...

This is it?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... My pitch was too steep for many of the other materials to be comfortably used ...

Do you use the OSB layer under the tiles?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... flatter tar/pebble roof coating ...

I hear about it for the first time. I found one scheme:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:49 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... fiberglass asphalt shingles ...

This is it?

Yes, that is similar.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... My pitch was too steep for many of the other materials to be comfortably used ...

Do you use the OSB layer under the tiles?

My house has plywood under the shingles rather than OSB, but OSB is common on newer construction as plywood is more expensive. I did not go into the underlayment for tile once we determined they could not effectively install it due to the pitch of the roof.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... flatter tar/pebble roof coating ...

I hear about it for the first time. I found one scheme:

It may be similar but there are several variations from which to choose. Part of the building is over 50 years old now. It has two newer additions to that.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
My house has plywood under the shingles rather than OSB ...

Plywood is a good thing, but sometimes it is of poor quality. Some merchants don't store it according to the rules, and this causes deformations.

Today I disassembled a broken lamp. I thought that it had a construction, in which there should be an AC-DC converter. But it has only a diode bridge and two capacitors. That's why I saw flashes when I was shooting a video on my phone. Sometimes I think of a low-voltage power system in my house, for example, 24 V DC from a good power source.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:24 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
My house has plywood under the shingles rather than OSB ...

Plywood is a good thing, but sometimes it is of poor quality. Some merchants don't store it according to the rules, and this causes deformations.

Today I disassembled a broken lamp. I thought that it had a construction, in which there should be an AC-DC converter. But it has only a diode bridge and two capacitors. That's why I saw flashes when I was shooting a video on my phone. Sometimes I think of a low-voltage power system in my house, for example, 24 V DC from a good power source.

I had a similar experience with CFL bulbs a few years ago. In fact, there are a dew that have not been replaced yet that give issues. They will stop working but resume if you tighten and/or loosen the bulb in the fitting as if there is a connectivity issue with the center post tab, but another bulb will work in the same spot while the bulb will do the dame ting in other fixtures.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

CFL and LED lamps use phosphor, and this is bad for the eyes. But large flashes can have a more negative effect on eye health. Once I read the technical book of Nichia, in which it was written that modern phosphors contain more than seven components that make the spectrum of light look like the natural one. But all the lamps that I analyzed in the last ten years contained the cheapest LEDs.

It makes me think about the direct use of good LEDs and a good power source.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
CFL and LED lamps use phosphor, and this is bad for the eyes. But large flashes can have a more negative effect on eye health. Once I read the technical book of Nichia, in which it was written that modern phosphors contain more than seven components that make the spectrum of light look like the natural one. But all the lamps that I analyzed in the last ten years contained the cheapest LEDs.

It makes me think about the direct use of good LEDs and a good power source.

My son is going all LED in his new house, which has some issues because the building codes have not caught up with the technology. There is a limit to the number of light fixtures which can be put on one circuit due to the potential load. Since the incandescent bulbs are no longer being produced this criteria is outdated. In fact, the loading for the lights in the entire house could be put on one circuit and still not overload it.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... the loading for the lights in the entire house could be put on one circuit and still not overload it.

I'm trying to eliminate the problem from the integrated LED driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Today I see that the forum is not very popular. Why it happens?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

For me, one of the office dogs (my son's dog) had some interaction with a skunk last night. While rabies is always a concern the dog did not get that close before being sprayed. Since my son is living in a camper while building the house he brought her to the shower we have in one of the restrooms to try to clean her up. As a result we have the lingering odor of faint skunk everywhere which is a difficult thing to remove in the winter. They both just left for the day so I am hoping the odor will dissipate somewhat now.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I hope so too. But I meant a longer period of time. I can easily find people who will drink beer with me. But it's hard to find people who want to go to the forest to plant a tree, for example. I mean that environmental problems are very important, but I see little activity in this direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
I hope so too. But I meant a longer period of time. I can easily find people who will drink beer with me. But it's hard to find people who want to go to the forest to plant a tree, for example. I mean that environmental problems are very important, but I see little activity in this direction.

This forum used to be very popular but there were some issues with moderation with which I disagreed and as a result left for a period of time. I dropped by once and was convinced to resume my role as moderator, but there had been so little attention spent here that it was merely a shadow. There are far more spam attempts than actual posting now. At one time it was the reverse. Many of the old discussions were lost due to an automatic pruning by the software.

This version of the forum has been here since 2003 but there was an even older version prior to that. I do not remember when I left (after 2003) or when I returned though.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
This forum used to be very popular but there were some issues with moderation with which I disagreed ...

What were these problems?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... There are far more spam attempts than actual posting now ...

I remember the time when I used the phone to connect to the Internet. The dial-up Internet was very slow, and I was glad when I receive small messages from my friends. Today, the Internet is filled with marketing and pure junk, if you want to get real information, you must overcome a giant wall of misinformation.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... Many of the old discussions were lost due to an automatic pruning by the software.

What are your thoughts on the GNU/Linux project and free software?

I didn't find the "spoiler" or "cut" tag on this forum. Maybe I was careless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
This forum used to be very popular but there were some issues with moderation with which I disagreed ...

What were these problems?

Someone was banned by another moderator for following that moderator's instructions on posting.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... There are far more spam attempts than actual posting now ...

I remember the time when I used the phone to connect to the Internet. The dial-up Internet was very slow, and I was glad when I receive small messages from my friends. Today, the Internet is filled with marketing and pure junk, if you want to get real information, you must overcome a giant wall of misinformation.

Yes, and posting something on a forum like this is picked up by the bots so it gets more attention for free.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... Many of the old discussions were lost due to an automatic pruning by the software.

What are your thoughts on the GNU/Linux project and free software?

I really have no information from which to form an opinion on it.

Quote:
I didn't find the "spoiler" or "cut" tag on this forum. Maybe I was careless.

It was a internal setting to prune old threads to save storage space. It was changed but not until after we realized what had already been lost.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next