EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
LOL! =D>

Funny thing is, when I was poking about on rabbit-farming, I accidently stumbled thru a ARA site in England that was pointing out the horros of bunny-raising for meat/fur. I got to thinking; 'We'd probably have at least some ARA's along on the colony.....what would happen if one got really nutty and tried to release all the bunnies into the wild?'

Oh, boy! #-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:43 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20354
Location: Southeastern US
Iowanic wrote:
LOL! =D>

Funny thing is, when I was poking about on rabbit-farming, I accidently stumbled thru a ARA site in England that was pointing out the horros of bunny-raising for meat/fur. I got to thinking; 'We'd probably have at least some ARA's along on the colony.....what would happen if one got really nutty and tried to release all the bunnies into the wild?'

Oh, boy! #-o


Exile them to "care" for any bunnies released ..... :wink: :- :- :-

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:47 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Ouch! Talk about the punishment fitting the crime!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
LOL! =D>

Funny thing is, when I was poking about on rabbit-farming, I accidently stumbled thru a ARA site in England that was pointing out the horros of bunny-raising for meat/fur. I got to thinking; 'We'd probably have at least some ARA's along on the colony.....what would happen if one got really nutty and tried to release all the bunnies into the wild?'

Oh, boy! #-o


Exile them to "care" for any bunnies released ..... :wink: :- :- :-


You can't keep all the bunnies caged....They need room to hop around and get exercise [-( [-X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:54 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Actaually, that's the way I see it, Animal lover. Bunnies that get to act like bunnies out in the fields will be healthy bunnies.

How difficult would it be to let them 'den' out in a field? Would there be much risk of them tunneling under barriers? :-k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:59 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
Actaually, that's the way I see it, Animal lover. Bunnies that get to act like bunnies out in the fields will be healthy bunnies.

How difficult would it be to let them 'den' out in a field? Would there be much risk of them tunneling under barriers? :-k


You can make a nice sized area....lay some type of chicken wire (the heavier one) under the surface of the ground.....just kinda like what you do for dogs, along fence lines, so they can't dig out. The grass will grow like normal and if the enclosures are enclosed with and area or two for shelters, like dog houses(heated of course), they will be fine. You can even put a small pond in there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:05 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Would the bunnies dig dens or be satisfied with the shelters, do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
Would the bunnies dig dens or be satisfied with the shelters, do you think?


They are fine with closed in shelters, something like the igloo dog houses etc are an easy choice. If you think about it bunnies that are kept as pets don't get to dig dens. And if you would like you can make mounds above ground for them to dig in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:34 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
I'm starting to see how this can be made to work.

I'd like to rotate the bunnies thru a series of fields; their job being to turn a 'cover-crop', like buckwheat, into meat on the paw, as it were. I'll have to check into what type of natural chow bunnies like. Clover would work, too, Yes?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
I'm starting to see how this can be made to work.

I'd like to rotate the bunnies thru a series of fields; their job being to turn a 'cover-crop', like buckwheat, into meat on the paw, as it were. I'll have to check into what type of natural chow bunnies like. Clover would work, too, Yes?


You may have to suppliment or add to their diets depending on what nutrients/vitamins they are getting in a particular field. They also have to be provided some type of wood/carrots (something fairly hard), etc to naturally wear down their teeth, if something naturally occuring is not available in these fields. Alphalfa or Timothy grass as well also depending on what is available in these fields, it is important to them for proper digestion. Other than that they are pretty easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Very useful info! Thanxs!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:51 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Add to list: Bees.
Bee-keeping is a must.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
Add to list: Bees.
Bee-keeping is a must.

Wouldn't something like that already exist as you said they have abundant plant life already?? I would have to assume that something already exists as pollination seens to be occurring already. Would that assuption be wrong??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:55 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
animallover wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
Add to list: Bees.
Bee-keeping is a must.

Wouldn't something like that already exist as you said they have abundant plant life already?? I would have to assume that something already exists as pollination seens to be occurring already. Would that assuption be wrong??


Besides, not that I am a bee expert ot anything, but I don't think that they can survive extreme temperature changes. :-k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:59 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Oh dear!

Okay! I'm working on it! ](*,)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group