[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Garden info

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:27 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I'm a bit stumped and I'm looking for a answer or two from those gardener/farmer types....

I bought a book today "How to grow more Vegatables" by John Jeavons. It's very useful but I noticed something.....

In crop rotation, you ideally don't want to follow a crop with another crop from the same family. But I noticed nearly all the crops that add nitrogen back into the soil, are from the same family!

My guess, is you'll have to alternate with clover or alfalfa. Am I right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm 

The embroy approuch would work: depending on for how long they are viable(Wouldn't want them to die on the way out) Wouldn't have as much fresh eggs and milk early on for the colonists, though.

I'm set to start filling in my fields with a crop rotation. It's more involved then I first thought. :neutral:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:39 pm 

mini-update:

Chicken numbers up to 550;
Goats to 60.

To those farmer types out there.......is planting slower then plowing? How much so?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:59 pm 

Also; is it safe for cattle to feed on standing wheat? Does it have to be processed somehow or can they be allowed to graze in a field of it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 pm 

Actually, you're correct. I wasn't thinking too hard on that one. :oops:

What I had running thru my head was the psedo-settlement I'm using is in sort of a 'U' shaped valley: I had plans to use terraces on the hillsides, mostly for the grain crops(quinoa, wheat, millet and sorghum) I invisioned grazing the cattle along these terrances. Stubble could still be used, I think, maybe interspaced with fields of clover.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:09 am 

That clears things up, Hunter.

So if you're gonna feed cattle from grain, it's gonna have to pretty much be in the same form as people get it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm 

Iowanic I thought about this some today. Shows I was having a slow day, doesn't it. :lol:

I could see the wheat for the people as this would give them flour for bread and baking.

You might look at oats for a grain supply for animals. Oats will work for cattle or horses, is about 11% protein, and can be eaten just the way it is without cracking or rolling to break the oat seed. Corn would need to be cracked to be fed to animals. In cold weather climates oats help horses stay warm, because energy is used to break down the hull on the oat seed. Also oats can be saved back from one year to the next. Basically I could just take oats I was going to feed my horses and plant them and they would come up. The left over oat stubble is much like the wheat stubble, but I have seen oats hay. I doubt it has much nutritional value, but if they'd at least eat it, it would help in the winter and would add roughage to go along with grain.

As for millet and sorghum, not sure about those. My only experience there is bird seed for my bird feeder.

You might look at soybeans, though harvesting may be difficult without proper machinery. Soybeans are a great source of protein for livestock or people. Soybeans add nitrogen to the soil for crop rotation. And like oats you can plant what you don't eat, so no need for special seeds.

Local grasses could be used as a hay supply for cattle and horses. This would be easier to raise and harvest then alfalfa. While the protein levels may not be as high, there should be a plentiful supply. Also grass hay is easier to put up in good shape then alfalfa. A little rain won't hurt grass, but rain on cut alfalfa usually leads to problems and may lead to bad hay.

Most cattle and horses would do nicely on grass hay and oats for grain. Which means the needs for livestock would be very simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:17 pm 

Why would the corn need to be cracked for cows and such??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:23 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next