[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Garden info

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Well, from a sustainbility viewpoint, either eatting or letting the horses return to the earth naturally as possible could serve the same purpose. I guess it would matter what was the owners wishes. Horse hide and bones to be ground for soil-additive might be undertaken by some. I just don't see them as regular chow; not like goats or cattle or ducks. Again; if it was a question of life or death, that'd be another matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:41 pm 

That'll be a given. I think one of the duties of misbehaving youth on the colony will be 'pooper-scooper' duty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 pm 

I'll conceed; this can be a akward: assuming what's good for the earth is good for another planet.

A) there will be a recon flight sent ahead to get the planet's 'pulse' as it were; this will help termendously, of course, but no, it can't cover all the bases. Planets are so complex: look at us here; we're still trying to figure out how everything works! So this is one of the risk factors involved with being a colonist. Some colonists will take a 'Don't touch ANYTHING' approuch; on the grounds we could be destroying a entire eco-system. There will, of course, be those who feel the very oppisite. They will have to learn to live with each other: like it or not; their in the same boat. Pray wisdom is around somewhere to guide them both!

B) in fact, there is a couple differences in the two planets I'm having to work on. Example: I decided that there would be no insect-pollanized plants on Zeta. The colonists will have to bring bees; if they hope to eat the foods their used to. Which means clover. Will Zeta-native critters find bees(Or more likely, honey) very tasty? the colonists will find out, one way or the other! Bee-hives will be vital, life or death items to have.

C)One of the basic rules of permaculture is; never introduce foreighn plants or critters if at all avoidable. One should instead look for critters already living there as fill-ins to take the place of unsuitable 'out-siders'. This is a rule that will have to be applied at Zeta. Native critters and plants that can sustain humans(And their livestock, ideally) will have to be sought nearly from the moment the recon flight touches surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:10 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:25 pm 

Yeah, we're not just on a learning curve; this is a learning circle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

http://www.oregon.com/attractions/orego ... trivia.cfm

4. Most pioneers traveled the trails west by oxen. However, the Gold Rush of 1849 depleted the supply of oxen in the departure areas along the Missouri River, so gold seekers had to use more horses in 1850.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Well it's your story Iowanic. Maybe you'll find a new animal on your planet that has the best of both -maybe you can call it an Equin-ox. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:58 pm 

This is just such interesting research! I found out today 'mature' honey bees often don't like alfalfa, because it's a bit rough collecting the nectar; so trying to use 'young' bees is the way to go for some. Who'd thought it?

I am having problems getting fruit into the diet of the colonists, though and it annoys me. Oh, i think we can get stuff like melons and berries to work, but trees take a bit to grow into producing and transplating entire trees all the way from Earth has problems.

I'm shooting for using dwarf tree species, at least early on. Seems like they got 'mini' versions of just about every full size fruit out there! It's hard digging up info on these mini-trees, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:14 pm 

How about having your colonists land on a planet with fruit trees. While their fruit may not be what they are used to, they could adapt and find out it is very good. You would even have the ability to invent your own kind of fruit for the story, and add some suspense by having the colonists figure out which ones are good and which ones are posion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:21 pm 

Certainly that's a angle. "Mommy, do we eat the blue or poka dot ones?" "Taste it and we'll see, honey." I just thought a safety position early on would be try to bring some crops we know we can eat, till we find suitable native stuff. It will, in fact, be the most sustainable thing. use crops that are adapted to the conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 am 

Here's a update on my progress:

I think I got working numbers for the livestock.

Mind, I'm using a 'mock-up' settlement of about 100 households(350 colonists).

The cast of critters:

300 cattle (Beef-type)
50 goats (milk-type)
24 horses
500 chickens (Mostly layers, but some 'broilers')

The horses and cattle continue to give me headaches.

Horses: too many? But I can't see working with less. That's 12 'teams' and some will surely have to be rested sometime.

Cattle: there's more then enough beef to meet the settlement's requirements, so beef will mostly be a trade item with other settlements.
But there's leather too and I don't think you can provided a years worth of leather clothing fpr 350 people from 300 cattle(Assuming you'd kill all , which isn't likely)

I'm still poking about in regards to bee-keeping. They'll be a large number of hives, I'm guessing. At least there shouldn't be a honey shortage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next