[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Garden info

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I don't know, from what I remember those numbers seem high. Sammy and hunter would probably be the best people to tell you for sure. I don't want to tell you something that is incorrect. But I will look to see if I can find the other thread that had this info for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 pm 

hey, thanx.

We all know I need as much help as I can get!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:48 pm 

It sounds as if you have changed your story a bit since last we worked on it. Or is this a different one??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 am 

Interesting info on the horses, Hunter. I haven't gotten to livestock yet, so i could very well reach the same conclusion. I'd like horses for plow-work and it certainly sounds like they produce their share of manure. But again; i still fitting the pieces together.

AL; this is mostly for background in my story. I had to know; how 'inclusive' will each community be is such a setting? Will there be a lot of trade, or will every village be it's own little world? I thought it would add a distinct touch if each village had it's own 'flavor' as it were, but I wasn't sure how easy it'd be to do it all without trading between villages. If standing on owns one is too difficult, some trade will have to go on; with each village having a few 'specilties' they can trade with other villages for their 'specials'. But if you're going to have trade, the keep 'green' you have to group those villages not too far apart.

See how involved it gets, LOL?

I am learning something about gardening, though. After beans; I'll probably be looking into the grains. Oh, boy. I can hardly wait.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:03 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am 

Iowanic, have you contacted your local office of the Department of Agriculture? Often, this agency has information like that which you are seeking, or can guide you to someone who may be able to help you.

Just a thought ..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 am 

Good heavens, I didn't even think of that! And this being Iowa, I bet there's a website. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:41 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Not gonna gaurantee this but I seem to remember from a book I read that it's around a pound a foot for green beans.

I think I read it in this book
Living on an Acre

This link

Also has some info on what you may need. But it seems to be more for eating fresh stuff through the season rather than what you would need for a year...you could extrapolate.

Horses will take a bit more land if you want to farm with them. Oxen could be an answer but they will still eat quite a bit and they do not work as fast as horses.
There is no law saying you can't eat the horse offspring.......

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm 

I've been earnestly trying to put together everything a small community would need to be self-sufficient.

First conclusion: It's awful hard. Some trade with other small-communities at the minimum.

Second Conclusion: Broccoli is darn close to a miracle food.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:11 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

It makes a difference where you live and the size and metabolism of the horse. Where I live is relatively wet and the grass tends to be rich, so on land a little lower in the valley than ours -it takes about one acre per horse - about 1.5 for us. But I have to bring some of my horses off grass at night or they will get too fat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:04 pm 

This is info i can use. Thanx, Rural.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:17 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next