EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:01 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
I'll have to research my grains again; oats seem very useful.

You're correct about the native grasses; I intend for that to be the 'main course' for the cattle, during the warm weather monthes. Now I'm busy trying to divide the herd into the most usable 'grazing herds'-size.

If nothing else, I've always got something to keep me busy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Quote:
Now I'm busy trying to divide the herd into the most usable 'grazing herds'-size.


Well once you wean the calves in the fall, you'll need to make sure you keep the girls away from any boys the following spring, or you'll end up with more cattle then planned.

If you're raising the cattle for meat production you can run the cows and calves together. Assuming seasons are the same as here, the bull would be put with the cows in June or July. This way calves will be born starting in March. The bull can stay with the cows over the winter, but then come calving time should be removed until June or July.

Calves are usually weaned in the fall. Again if these are for food, somewhere along the line the bull calves should have been turned into steers. This way the now steers can stay with the heifers and there is no worry about early breeding of the heifers. The following year any heifers that are to be added to the cow herd can be turned out with the cows and will be bred when the bull is added come summer.

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Wait a minute. I vaguely remember that the temps there are not consistant with ours. Weren't the days hot and the nights freezing??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Yes, I'm working on that. The day temps can be dealt with, if you use shading and perhaps irragation. The night temps are gonna take some work. As silly as it sounds, I'm looking into using water(Warmed during the days) to 'level out' the temps at night. I have to see how much work that entails, however.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
Yes, I'm working on that. The day temps can be dealt with, if you use shading and perhaps irragation. The night temps are gonna take some work. As silly as it sounds, I'm looking into using water(Warmed during the days) to 'level out' the temps at night. I have to see how much work that entails, however.


But won't that also have an impact on what types of crops you can actually use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Quote:
But won't that also have an impact on what types of crops you can actually use.


Some crops require certain night time temps in order to start maturing. Too low of night time temps might not work for growing some food.

Maybe if you could find someone that was full of hot air to breath on the plants at night that might help. Hmmmm, wonder where we might find someone like that. :lol:

Oh that just gave me a great idea. Maybe you could have your planet experience some global warming. Gee wonder why I thought of that and hot air. :wink: :lol:

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:49 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Yeah, the extermns of temps brought on by the long days will have to be tackled.

Note: some plants ARE cold hardy; collards and parnips are two I can think of. Of course; that doesn't qualify as a balanced diet. And there are ways to extend seasonal warmth on earth (Cold-frames, mulching); on some crops I think this would work on the nightly lows on Zeta. It'd be awful difficult to try such on a large scale.

Here's the best chance, I think: Move close to a ocean or large lake. Ok, I'll explain.

Large bodies of water are very effective at 'leveling out' temp extermns. Water's ability to both warm up slowly then cool down slowly makes this possible.

A few miles inland from a ocean should allow the heat retained by the salty water to keep the nighttime temps above freezing. I suspect a reliable 'sea-breeze' will kick in as well. Windmills both for power-generation and mechicanacal work might be doable.

There are still a few downsides, as you might expect.

Salt in the breeze.

Hurricanes(Okay, gnomes)

All that warm water says 'hurricane/gnome alley'. Two things that could work for the colonists:

Locate to a spot where the directing winds are least likley to send mega-storms.

and, praise the lord, oceans on Zeta tend to be smaller then those on Earth. Hurricanes/gnomes will have less room to build. Expect a lot of tropical depressions that come ashore before they can get any bigger. At least we should have regular rain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:53 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
Iowanic wrote:
Yeah, the extermns of temps brought on by the long days will have to be tackled.

Note: some plants ARE cold hardy; collards and parnips are two I can think of. Of course; that doesn't qualify as a balanced diet. And there are ways to extend seasonal warmth on earth (Cold-frames, mulching); on some crops I think this would work on the nightly lows on Zeta. It'd be awful difficult to try such on a large scale.

Here's the best chance, I think: Move close to a ocean or large lake. Ok, I'll explain.

Large bodies of water are very effective at 'leveling out' temp extermns. Water's ability to both warm up slowly then cool down slowly makes this possible.

A few miles inland from a ocean should allow the heat retained by the salty water to keep the nighttime temps above freezing. I suspect a reliable 'sea-breeze' will kick in as well. Windmills both for power-generation and mechicanacal work might be doable.

There are still a few downsides, as you might expect.

Salt in the breeze.

Hurricanes(Okay, gnomes)

All that warm water says 'hurricane/gnome alley'. Two things that could work for the colonists:

Locate to a spot where the directing winds are least likley to send mega-storms.

and, praise the lord, oceans on Zeta tend to be smaller then those on Earth. Hurricanes/gnomes will have less room to build. Expect a lot of tropical depressions that come ahore before they can get any bigger. At least we should have regular rain.


I think the problem you are going to run into is that you need constant warm temps to raise the temp of the water. Without that the water temps will not be able to really warm. Warm days and really cold nights isn't going to make for warm water temps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:59 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
It'll definately require very hot day-temps. One thing about the summer temps; as on earth, summer days are more sun-up time then sun-down; they'll be more time to warm-up and less to cool down. Of course early spring and late fall will be a 'razor's-edge' for agricuture. The nights times will be near as long as the days and that'll drop the 'middle-ground temps' slowly but surely. Being a weather-man on Zeta wil be a busy but well-paid job, I suspect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:09 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Um....this is only gonna be a short update, I'm working on a more extensive one for next week.

I was running thru some times for plowing with horses and I'm not liking the numbers.

Maybe tractors(As 'clean' as possible, of course) used in a sort of community fashion might be workable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:24 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 6190
Those horses are a bit slower then tractors. :lol:

If your group had the ability to make it to another planet, surely they've also harnessed enough solar energy to drive a tractor. Or how about good old fashioned steam. Throw in some firewood and you're good to plow another 20 acres.

_________________
I don't know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:05 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Well, I fought it as long as I could! :)

What happened, Hunter, was I got down to some actual crop rotations and the time to harvest and I used a couple 'plow-times' I looked up and it was rather depressing.


I tried to work around it but I visited a 'historic farming site' which was very imformative. They traced farming thru the years and they naturally discussed the switch over to tractotrs and why.

A) it took 5 acres of crop-stuffs to feed a horse.
B) A typical 4 horse team could plow a 40 acre field in 55 hours. Not so bad, right?
C) a modern tractor can do the same job in 1.1 hours(!!). At least, so said the source.




ouch!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:13 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Iowanic wrote:
Well, I fought it as long as I could! :)

What happened, Hunter, was I got down to some actual crop rotations and the time to harvest and I used a couple 'plow-times' I looked up and it was rather depressing.


I tried to work around it but I visited a 'historic farming site' which was very imformative. They traced farming thru the years and they naturally discussed the switch over to tractotrs and why.

A) it took 5 acres of crop-stuffs to feed a horse.
B) A typical 4 horse team could plow a 40 acre field in 55 hours. Not so bad, right?
C) a modern tractor can do the same job in 1.1 hours(!!). At least, so said the source.




ouch!


Which is why the mechanization of the farms resulted in the switch from the population in our society being rural agrarian to urban living. The huge shift in manpower usage, which in turn leads to the factory farming methods. :wink:

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:54 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
NO! NEVER! :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:04 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20562
Location: Southeastern US
Iowanic wrote:
NO! NEVER! :twisted:


Yes!!! You are going down that slippery slope evan as we speak!!! :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group