EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:26 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Her eyes...there were something familiar about her eyes. Buck couldn't shake the feeling....but what was it that drew him to her. Van Helsing knew the truth but couldn't reveal this bit of info just yet. There was a job to be done. Telling Buck that Jilliam was his daughter would to be great of a distraction. There was no time for this now and she could hinder what needed to be done.

"Yes, thanks", Buck said
We really have to go now Van Helsing urged, walking to the car.

Buck made his apologies and left Jillian standing in front of the office.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm 

The road was a series of turns, overhanging trees and a occassion wane streetlight. At last The sheriff spoke.

"How, exactly, does one get in your line of work? And is there a pension anywhere?" Van Helsing pursed his lips.

"Buck....we will have to be prepared." " I got my piece and there's a shotgun in here somewhere..." "The creatures we are dealing with with shrug off such weapons. You have a revolver....here." "Got more cartiridges then I know what to do with, Doc." "These have silver bullets.....oh, damn." "What?" "Is that a .38?" "A 38 special, yeah." "Curse the luck! I brought 9 millimeters!" "9's?" Buck snorted. "Them woozie little things? I've seen spit 'bacca do more hurt." "Never mind. We will have to improvise some stakes. And if you say medium or rare, I swear.. that's odd."

Buck looked about outside. Headlights lite a empty dirt road. "What, Doc?" "No fog." "Damnation, you're right. I wanna see where I'm going, but....something sure funny..."

Then the engine began sputtering. It failed and Buck said rude things till the car coasted to a stop. Buck got out, Van helsing paused. He looked left and right; the still working headlights only making shadows and vague shapes of what lay beyond.

He sighed. One last fight, we have. This is the one we must win. All the others...stage-dressing; rehersal. You are remembered or forgotten by what...

"Gas tank." Buck leaned in, his hat pushed back by the top edge of the door. "Someone puncha bunch of holes in it." "The swamp..." "We're right beside it. Step off this road...inta those trees....."

Something moved in those trees. Feet, lots of them. The sherrif put a hand on his revolver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:59 pm 

Jillian went back inside the townhall.

There was Billy Wilson. He looked pale but at least he wasn't standing over the wastepaper basket anymore.

"You ok?" "I'll live. I'm suppossed to keep a eye on you, I guess." "I see." "Maybe I should take you home. I'll park out front and..." "I couldn't possibly go back to my father's place." "Then; here we sit. Wanna soda?"

Out popped the gray cat from under the sheriffs desk. Both humans grinned. "Good ole Dillion. He get's into places no one else can figure out." "I'm really attached to him." She picked him up and purrs erupted. Jillian smiled all the more. "I haven't felt this loved since my mother."

The sound of a door being opened came from the outer office. Billy shook his head. "We've had half the population of hell in here tonight and no one bothers to lock the door. What....oh, jeez."

There it stood in the doorway. Looking at first one human then the other. It was a wolf.

"Go! Scat!" screeched Billy. "Yeah, that'll really scare him off." Jillian wanted to put Dillion somewhere safe... the wolf was probably about to rip them to shreds but she crazily somehow wanted to protect Dillion.

Wait.

Dillion was still purring. Not the least bit scared. Jillian glanced to the wolf.

Did it nod it's head?!

"Ah... what's your name again?" "Billy." "Billy, I think the wolf wants us to follow him." "Why?" "Maybe he thinks we're in danger." "If there's some place in Bantam Mills that's safe, I'd like to see it." "I'm going."

as Jillian rounded the desk, the wolf spun and headed outside. Dillion wormed loose from her arms and followed suit. Jillian turned back to Billy, to impore one last time but the deputy was putting desert over most of sheriff Buck's desk.

Jillian followed Dillion into the night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:13 pm 

Jillian had a strange sense of.......deja vu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:30 pm 

"What's wrong with you, Dillion? No!"

Dillion was lopeing right along, the wolf had vanished somewhere ahead. The full moon made fine lighting on the street. They had at first seemed clearly headed for the swamp. But there was the hill; there was the house and there was a light on. In the basement; from the looks of it.

"Dillion! Stop! We are not going in there!"

What was that?!

Starled, Jillian whirled about.....something had been tossed onto the street behind her. Dillion hissed and growled.

Jillian took a step toward the object. Another. It was roughly round, fuzzy....no; that was ....hair. OMG.....

A head. Someone's head.

Jillian felt a scream fighting it's way loose from her lungs. She decided to run without thihnking where, just run.....

Laughter came from inside the fenced yard.

"Seems the queezy deputy has finally had his cares settled. I think there must be others with cares who could stand to have them settled. Yes, my dear?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 pm 

Buck had his hand on his holster, he wasn't sure what was moving in the darkness but he was ready. The bushes parted and a raccoon stepped out into the open. Buck and Van Helsing both let out a great sigh.

As Buck slumped back into the seat, a thought occured to him. Van Helsing, Ronald, and Randall had all been in the office at the same time. So who's arm was it that was laying on the floor. Another mystery he'd have to work on when his head quit hurting so much.

He must have been rubbing his head because Van Helsing had taken notice. "Does your head hurt Sheriff?"

"Yeah, ever since we left the office it's bothered me."

"Don't worry it's just an after affect of your experience with Randall and Ronald. Some people even hear strange voices, just a jumble of words that make no sense. But in time your mind will delete them as if they never exsisted."

"Hey Van Helsing, youi got any idea whos arm that was on the floor back at the office. There was a wolf head walking stick in his hand."

"You mean her hand Sheriff."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 am 

Just then Sheriff Buck became aware of a presence outside of the patrol car. Suddenly there was a thump on the trunk and the patrol cars rear springs creaked as the rear end sagged under the added weight, both men slowly turned, to see a set of glowing yellow eyes and a large furry white head. There was a look … no, a feeling of familiarity, almost a deep abiding love ( if there could be such a thing from an animal) in those eyes. Van Helsing knew in his heart he’d seen that look, seen those eyes and that face before, long ago in a different time and another life now lost in time. Could this be the sprit of his Mary in that child of the night in that white wolf… He started to speak her name and call to her but then she was beside the car her head was in the window a large and warm wet tongue, licking his face and neck then the head was nestled on his shoulder.
Mary? He whispered as the wolf tried to squeeze through the open car window and into his lap pinning him to the set.
Buck was frozen where he sat, never had he seen a wolf act that way but this night had been full of things he had never seen before nor ever see again but that wasn’t half of what was yet to come before this night was over.
Just then there was a blood curdling Howl out in the swamp the white wolf on Van Helsings lap turned her head, bared her teeth in a lip curling low growl and sprang through the window.
I think we are about to have a visitor Sheriff said Van Helsing better load those silver bullets you’ll need them shortly.
With nervous and trembling hands Buck slide the silver tipped rounds into each of the six cylinders. Ummm Doc? You seem to be real friendly with that there wolf. Want to tell me about it?

Just then Buck noticed that Van Helsing had unsheathed a sliver blade from his walking stick… Buck muttered, almost as an after thought "Jesus H key-rist, Doc! you ain’t goin after this thing with that pig sticker are ya?" Yes Buck, I am, you see the sheath is made of European Rowan and the blade and wolfs head were made by an old Aztec SilverSmith from the finest Spanish silver both are deadly to vampires and werewolves.

Just then there was a blur of movement a grayish blur swung a huge paw like hand at Van Helsings head but he had seen the attack before it came and he ducked and struck the blade home sinking it to the hilt in the creatures chest just below the arm pit. The creature staggered on a few feet in to the road way stood swaying howling in pain. It gathered it’s self for one more attack. Van Helsing gathered himself and readied the silver tipped Rowan pike to strike at the creatures heart, then three shots rang out, so close together they sounded as one and three red dots appeared, two on the creatures chest and one between the eyes sending the creature staggering back his paw like hands clawing at empty air. He spun as if to run took one step and crumpled into a heap in the middle of the dirt road. Writhing in the last throws of death, a look of bewilderment on his ugly maw… He began to try to speak unclearly at first then his last words as he turned back to human form … How… How, after all this time… and the nude body of Randall Crabtree lay were the form of the werewolf had been only seconds before , the question never finished and the look of confushion frozen by death on his face. The wolf sprang to action ripping and tearing at his throat severing his head from his body.
Stepping forward and pulling the bloody blade from Crabtree’s torso Van Helsing turned to Buck saying we're not done yet, one more to go, lets get back to Crabtree mansion we have to be there be for the dawn... the wolf jumped into the patrol cars front seat Crabtrees blood staining her white mussel.
Buck steped to the drivers side looked in at the wolf… You gonna drive? He asked her smileing.

Last edited by pops on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:20 am 

"I hope that Wilson kid is keeping a eye on Jillian." Buck announced, as he put the car in gear. "Normally by now, he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:24 pm 

Jillian, in shock by what she was looking at was frozen with fear. Time just seemed to stand still.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 pm 

Van Helsing's face went deathly white as he cursed himself.
" Oh my God" he said "I had forgotten about her, she will be safer with us, we must go back for her. There is nothing we can do until Crabtree returns to his coffin...the trunk I mean, turn around turn around"

Buck had this feeling of dread that something terrible may have happened to her. He kept seeing in his mind's eye her green eyes, pleading with him for ...protection or what ? Was she really Crabtree's daughter. He recognised something familiar about her...but what ?

And what was meant by this fierce protective bond he felt with her ?
" I know, I know he shouted startling Van Helsing. " It is her eyes", " they are the same colour as mine , she must be...Oh no, could she be ...? ".

They finally reached Buck's office where they found Jillian sitting in a corner guarded by yet another wolf. Van Helsing grabbed her by the arm and almost pushed her into the car.

" Wait" said Buck " where's the boy ?".
At this, a look of terror came over Jillian's face as she tried to speak, " In your own time dear" said Buck " In your own time "

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:49 pm 

"BUCKY WAKE UP!!! You're gonna be late for school!"
"whaaaaa???? school????"
"BUCKY did you stay up watching those scary movies again last night?"
"sorry mom"
"You look awful this morning, how late were you up?"
"Not that late mom, but I had the weirdest dream..there were werewolves and vampires and twins and severed heads and arms...I was a sheriff .Don't worry I won't be watching that stuff before bed anymore"The problem is it didn't seem like a dream at all mom."
"Well never mind that now honey, get dressed for school breakfast is almost ready"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 pm 

THE END

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:23 pm 

Of course as we all know in stories like this, the ending is not always as it seems.

Van Helsing grabbed Bucks arm so tight Buck jumped.

"What's the matter Sheriff? We need to get out of here."

"Sorry I just had some sort of flashback to my youth. I've always been one to have bad dreams, and now it seems I'm living one."

"Probably just another after affect", Van Helsing explained. "Kind of like those voices that some hear that make no sense."

Buck, Van Helsing, and Jillian sped down the road towards the Crabtree place.

"By the way", Buck said. "You never did tell me whos arm that was on the floor."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 pm 

Buck said Van Helsing there are things a foot tonight the like of which would drive a lesser man insane... Her name is Mina Harker. She is a vampire turned vampire hunter and over the last 150 years she has been known by many names Ellen Hutter - Mina - Mina Murry - Mina Van Helsing and Wilhelmina Westenra are only a few. She was infected by Count Dracula, I tried to save her, from becoming one of the living dead but was unsuccessful. I fear that she may have run afoul of the werewolf brother however if she kept her head, she'll be at crabtree mansion waiting to finish the job.

Last edited by pops on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:56 pm 

The car slowed upon sight of the hill and it's house. The hill and house seemed like something in the night itself; a shadow borne of shadows. Or the swamp, thought Buck. That damn nasty swamp....

They stopped; the engine went quiet and all sat. Off went the lights, as if a afterthought and there could suddenly be seen shapes about and just ahead...all along the fence. The forms shuttled back and forth, dozens of them. They snorted and snifed and finally one yammered into the night.

"The wolves..." "The spirits." reminded Van Helsing. He sat very still and stared at the house. "They will assist us..." "Then why aren't they entering the yard?"

Jillian was correct. The big animals milled as a throng of fur and fangs, restless and eager. But not one inch inside the fenced yard had they taken. Van helsing adjusted his nex perz and wrinkled face in thought.

"Something forbids them. They cannot enter." "Then we're on our own..." "In there.... so it would seem. We must hurry...it will be dawn soon..." "If he's still here.."

A light came on in the house. The wolves howled; till it seemed the swamp must join in.

Buck checked his revoler.

"Game time. Someone in the basement door; someone the front door. Jillian..." "I'm going along." "No, you aren't." "Yes, I am." "Aren't." "Are." "Aren't, aren't, aren't." "Are, one thousand times..."

Dillion gave a fustrated mew and darted out a window, over the fence. Van helsing followed and then the rest.

The light from the house seemed to becon. As if it could promise heaven.... but it's odor was of hell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next