[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Dear Republicans

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dear Republicans
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:50 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Liberals founded this country, designed it, built it, and saved it. We can no longer allow you to encourage the hypocritical, hate-mongering, war-loving, color-hating, bottom-feeding, gun-fetishizing, intellect-detesting, hold-us-back, right-wing fascist, pseudo-Americans to take over your party and hold our country hostage.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-s ... 33674.html

Post subject: Re: Dear Republicans
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 am 

And they dare to call themselves LIBERAL ?

Is the article genuine or a spoof ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17 am 

Every major positive step forward for this country and the rights of its citizens has been a "liberal" movement, with a bunch of angry naysayers like the conservatives of today trying to fight it. Excellent editorial!

-josh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

"The mightiest of weapons is truth. And everyone knows you’re not permitted to enter a Government building with a weapon." -- The Covert Comic www.covertcomic.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:17 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:27 pm 

I have to agree with Grizzly, on one aspect. There are attacks coming from both sides. IMO politics has become about discrediting each other more than the issues. Bashing and slamming is now common response to positions on issues....the issues or positions themselves are really ignored. No way to pick leaders of our country.... let alone no way for potential/current leaders to behave. I think that says more about the state of our country than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:33 pm 

If one is to argue the meaning of a word and then it's application in the langue one should then know and understand that words definition.
And so in hopes of educating those conservative posters who then by contrast must be described by any one or all of it's antonyms

9 dictionary results for: liberal
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
lib·er·al - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lib-er-uh l, lib-ruh l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. (often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.
–noun
14. a person of liberal principles or views, esp. in politics or religion.
15. (often initial capital letter ) a member of a liberal party in politics, esp. of the Liberal party in Great Britain.

[Origin: 1325–75; ME < L līberālis of freedom, befitting the free, equiv. to līber free + -ālis -AL1 ]

—Related forms
lib·er·al·ly, adverb
lib·er·al·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. progressive. 7. broad-minded, unprejudiced. 9. beneficent, charitable, openhanded, munificent, unstinting, lavish. See GENEROUS. 10. See AMPLE.
—Antonyms 1. reactionary. 8. intolerant. 9, 10. niggardly.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liberal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:06 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

"The mightiest of weapons is truth. And everyone knows you’re not permitted to enter a Government building with a weapon." -- The Covert Comic www.covertcomic.com

Post subject: The FOUNDING FATHERS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:19 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

A little refresher about the views of those who helped shape our infant nation. Don't shoot the messenger; I just want people to sit down and think for a minute before they try to rewrite history. I sat down and put this together after listening to some idiots in my family spewing hate which they based on the pretense that the US was founded for/by Christians... I simply don't tolerate hate. It is another reason I am SO GLAD this election (well, most of it) is over because I don't have to watch/listen to attack ads any more. Well, at least for two more years!

Ben Franklin - Deist - “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.” Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758
"God heals, and the doctor takes the fees."
"How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep Holidays than Commandments."

George Washington - born to Episcopalians, self-described Deist - “Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their [not our?] religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society.” George Washington Letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”

“The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained”

John Adams - Unitarian - “The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.” John Adams, Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

"Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society."

"Power always thinks... that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws."

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people."

Thomas Jefferson - Deist - “Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites.” Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination." Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

James Madison - Deist and primary author of the US Constitution - “In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.” “Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise.” James Madison, April 1, 1774

James Monroe - Deist

John Quincy Adams
- Unitarian

Thomas Paine - Agnostic -"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human ... inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

“Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.”

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection”

“The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.”

Patrick Henry - very devout Episcopalian - "I know not what others may choose but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death."

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"

"I have now disposed of all my property to my family. There is one thing more I wish I could give them, and that is the Christian religion."

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."

Samuel Adams - Congregationalist, and second cousin to John Adams - "As neither reason requires nor religion permits the contrary, every man living in or out of a state of civil society has a right peaceably and quietly to worship God according to the dictates of his conscience." -- The Rights of the Colonists, 20 November 1772

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the Earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"

Abraham Lincoln - Deist to Atheist, depending on the source; officially had "no religion" - “My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.” Lincoln in a letter to Judge J.S.Wakefield, after the death of Willie Lincoln

“He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on Atheism...He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I ever heard.” John T.
Stuart, Lincoln's first law partner

The diversity of our country is its strength! We all come from different places, cultures, and backgrounds, and this fact improves our ability to adapt and overcome adversities TOGETHER. I am not trying to offend anyone, if you've read this to the end, I just want you to THINK about the history we've witnessed this week, because no matter your beliefs, it WAS an historic election... about appreciating the perspective of those you may disagree with... and about using those differences to our advantage to forge the best path!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 am 

Post subject: Re: The FOUNDING FATHERS
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:36 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!