[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Moderator suggestion

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moderator suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:34 pm 
Moderators need a separate account to use for their "official business", if they are to participate in board discussions besides carry out moderator duties.

There's simply no way to tell otherwise if non-specific and sometimes vague admonishments and "advice" are being done under the guise of "moderator" or "regular poster". When sometimes heated arguments go on for several posts, and then suddenly the moderator hat is donned...can you not see how that can be resented?

The most well moderated boards I've seen have a system where moderator duties are carried out anonomously....the moderator posts show up labeled simply "MODERATOR". With the result that even moderators themselves, when posting as regular posters, are subject to public scrutiny from the other moderators....thus alleviating the "us vs them" thing.

Post subject: Re: Moderator suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO what a ride!”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 am 

I think it's a brilliant suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:44 am 

Amongst Wayne, AL, and Venom, I think it'd be pretty easy to tell which one of them wrote it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 am 

maybe the title Moderator should be changed to Czar (unless that's a banned word too)... 8) :wink:

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 pm 

RF-

Thanks for your suggestion. I do appreciate it as it seems to have been made in a spirit of actually helping (as opposed to some of the follow on comments). I don't know if it is laziness on my part or what, but we've always avoided having multiple accounts and the phpBB system that we use does not support anonymous posting at all (which is what I think we would need if we had to implement what you suggested). I really don't want to have a Josh-Mod account vs. just the Josh account.

What we have done in the past, which we've slipped away from is to have all "official" statements and actions highlighted in a different color. I think this might be a good compromise, because I do agree that it is difficult to distinguish when I (or any other EnviroLink Volunteer) is speaking officially or not.

So... here's what we'll do for now. Let's re-implement the color scheme thing. All official comments within threads should be separated out from personal opinions and marked with the following:

MODERATOR: This is the official thing I am saying

That's a green color (#008000) and the word moderator is bolded. I think that is a good balance between not wasting Volunteers' time and being clear to users.

-josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 pm 

JOSH, do you think MAYBE this stuff is getting a bit ridiculous? I mean the over moderating ( in my opinion) over inappropriate language that is really not. Or over use of emoticons that really is funny and not really overboard? I understand J as I did watch the exchange as it happened but this is getting as if I am back in kindergarden. I realize that maybe you guys ( mods) are trying to make a point ( or it seems so). I understand that your impartiality has been called into question so you guys have drawn a line in the sand so to speak but is this being done for the betterment of the board or simply to show certain individuals who is in charge and what it is like if everything is suddenly black and white?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:17 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:25 pm 

I'm not seeing where things are getting out of hand. I commented on the "what words are acceptable or not" thread and I didn't realize things were still a problem with that. In terms of the personal attacks coming out in the middle of good discussions, that is an issue that I've decided we should take a pretty strong stand on. I've had numerous people who are normally lurkers here comment to me that they thought that this was one of the more mean-spirited boards they had seen. Things got way out of hand and needed to be reigned in. If the fact that we are not going to allow people to pummel each other here with personal attacks is making it less fun, then so be it. If moderators are over-interpreting my wishes here, then I do need to know about it. We have been discussing the issue and it seemed to me like things are getting better (along some dimensions).

PLEASE use the Image (! for those of you who don't have images turned on) tool to alert me to posts that you think are inappropriate (whether they be from Volunteers or users). If you don't tell me about these problems and instead things only ever make it to me when they erupt and are out of hand, there's nothing I can really do to help.

-josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:25 pm