[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - 'Rant section?"

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Rant section?"
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:48 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Here's a thought;

What if we had a 'rant' section?

I think a section where we can let off steam about anything would be useful in both reducing tensions and allowing less 'formatted' discussions(Or argruements, more likely)

I'll admit, having such a section is going to be difficult to manage but I think latitude to express what we think could be worth the risk. Surely; we could just try it out? We can always pull the plug later.

Post subject: Re: 'Rant section?"
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:26 pm 

A rant section with little moderation? That's just asking for trouble and causing more headaches for Josh and the mods. They'd have to establish new rules and what not for it. Far as I can tell the offtopic section here could be used for ranting/venting.. just as long as it doesn't turn into a fullblown namecalling cat fight. You look back far enough I've used it a few times to rant.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:30 pm 

I can see your point, Ori.

I'm just trying to find a way we can get along; or at least find 'elbow room' for everybody.

I'm glad I'm not a moderator, though. Too tough a job!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:41 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 pm 

I think the following extract from the Rules will explain...

" Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Typical back and forth on the issues is expected and encouraged. But, please discuss the issues in a way that that is respectful to others. Differences of opinion are fine, but please agree to disagree in order to avoid flame wars. No personal attacks, no vendettas and no detrimental venting will be tolerated and efforts should be made to avoid stereotyping other users. Users are encouraged to approach discussions and debates with the goal of finding mutual understanding and respect. We will not tolerate excessive rudeness, overly insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters. "

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am 

The intent of the Open Forum was to provide a space for people to rant, vent or just discuss any topic that interests them. We've always said the rules are applied a little more lightly there than in other spaces. Personal attacks against other users is going to be unacceptable anywhere on the forums. We've learned this from years of running a message board like this (we've had this up in one way or another since about 1993!) and I've yet to see any example of how it can happen in a positive manner. Ranting about issues, things that bother you, etc. is perfectly acceptable in any part of our forums. Many of you have been doing it for years! :wink:

So I guess that my suggestion would be to use the Open Forum for ranting, just not about other users here. Does that work?

-josh

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 am 

I can dig it, Josh. I got a bit depressed yesterday afternoon; I just thought more then a few of us were throwing puches below the belt(Hey, I did it once or twice) and just wanted it to stop.

Sorry for the whining.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:08 am 

Not a problem... I've been thinking of starting a personal therapy session forum area here and charge people for their "sessions". With the lot of you here, I could make a fortune!! :wink:

And of course, I am the model of sanity to which we should all aspire. :shock:

-josh

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 pm 

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:01 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:18 pm